dog in bed

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
Well there's nothing like waking up in the van to the sound of birds singing, sunlight peeping below the blinds snuggled up in bed turning over and finding the dog, under the sheets, either head or tail on the pillow!

Short of tying up the dog, we don't know how to stop him. Now don't get me wrong, we love Eric our 10 year old jack russell but sharing the marital bed - well its just not on.

He's obviously not as daft as he looks as he lies in his box until we are both asleep and must sneak in taking care not to wake us as he goes.

does anyone else have this problem? how / can we stop it? do we just cuddle him up and accept a hairy holday?

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
We have a german shepherd who also likes to share the caravan bed!

She has her own basket at home, and doesnt sleep on the bed at home, however in the van we dont have the room for the basket...so we make up the side dinette into a single bed - I cover it with loads of throws and blankets and she sleeps on that. During the night though she does sneak onto the big double in the front when we are zzzzzzzzzzing, and we wake up in the morning to big teethy dog grin and lovely dog breath on us!

She is shedding loads of hair at the moment....we cover all our carpet with the plastic matting stuff but still find when we come back from our trips that the van needs a full "valet" on our return.

Im not sure how you could stop it, aside from pushing him off, but you are not realising it as your dog sneaks in...I think you will probably just have to accept hairy holidays...like we do!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
At home our 3 small dogs sleep on a duvet inside their pen but in the caravan its a different matter. Having spent the most of one night repeatedly putting them back on the floor I gave up. They all sleep on our bed now and thankfully theres still plenty of room for Her Ladyship and I. We are lucky in the fact that the breeds we have don't moult.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Please you doggy people can you remember that your beloved pooches can not get through a shut door , they lack the manual dexterity to pick locks also, so the answer from us normal people is keep a shut door between you and your dog or put them in kennels before you go on your hols and stop making up pretend problems when the answer is looking you in the face.

Peter

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Oh yes they can!! We have two labradors.

The 10 year old white ***** is a dab hand with the sliding door, even if it is bolted. The 2 year old chocolate dog is the master of the standard door handle. They work as a team too pooling their skills to overcome a patio door.

He always waits for her to go first through the open door though, what a gent.

She sleeps mostly on the floor but does venture to the bed. His party trick is to back himself almost right under the middle of the slatted area. Then white lab is first to bark at a strange noise which kick's off the choco under the bed. He jumps up and as there is no way of quelling a seven stone dog, we have a bed slat mexican wave in full flow.

No need to go to the fair, we have our own ride in the van??

They are still our best friends and go with us where we go.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Carl

Well I did not like to admit it but owe puppy sleep with use in the caravan. We got a dog cushion for her but she just will not use it I can not see it going on for much longer as she is get bigger but then I just read Sarah bit god that not much bed left for use. :-(

At home she sleeps in her basket in the kitchen and the door is shut but some time one of use have forgotten to shut the door and she come up to use just be for owe little boy gets up at 5.30.

Peter

I heard of dog who can open doors and as for put a dog in kennels I head some bad stores of dogs come back not the same as they went.

Mark

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
The answer is simple, especially for a small dog... buy a cage ! Yes I can hear the crys of outrage already, but you are very mistaken. Dogs love a cage to sleep in, if you leave the door open they go in of their own will. Best to put a blanket over as well as inside ( actually, pet bedding is best to lie on)and your dog has his own little den.Great if you have visitors, or come back and the dog is wet/dirty/likely to chew while your out etc or you don't want them climbing on the seats.Safest way to travel too.

Still think it's cruel ? Well, where do you spend your holiday as happy as can be ? In a tin can with the door locked !

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Can you explain to us "non-normal" dog owning people the meaning of your post please. The post was about dogs sleeping on beds in caravans so I'll be b*ggered where the relevance of locked doors comes into the equation. It looks like another post going off course due too Peter not inwardly digesting Carls posting. What " and stop making up pretend problems when the answer is looking you in the face" is beyond me. Perhaps it was early in the morning and Peter posted a reply to the wrong thread hopefully, if not keep taking the medication Peter hehheh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The answer is simple, especially for a small dog... buy a cage ! Yes I can hear the crys of outrage already, but you are very mistaken. Dogs love a cage to sleep in, if you leave the door open they go in of their own will. Best to put a blanket over as well as inside ( actually, pet bedding is best to lie on)and your dog has his own little den.Great if you have visitors, or come back and the dog is wet/dirty/likely to chew while your out etc or you don't want them climbing on the seats.Safest way to travel too.

Still think it's cruel ? Well, where do you spend your holiday as happy as can be ? In a tin can with the door locked !
Rioja our dogs have a cage as I posted before and they love it. They also have a cage in the car whilst travelling but I have yet to find a cage that will fit in a caravan unfortunately which the post by Carl was about.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Carl

Well I did not like to admit it but owe puppy sleep with use in the caravan. We got a dog cushion for her but she just will not use it I can not see it going on for much longer as she is get bigger but then I just read Sarah bit god that not much bed left for use. :-(

At home she sleeps in her basket in the kitchen and the door is shut but some time one of use have forgotten to shut the door and she come up to use just be for owe little boy gets up at 5.30.

Peter

I heard of dog who can open doors and as for put a dog in kennels I head some bad stores of dogs come back not the same as they went.

Mark
Mark if I had to put my dogs in kennels I would rather stay at home because I know they would pine. Thats just me and my dogs though but I'm sure some dogs don't mind it.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Can you explain to us "non-normal" dog owning people the meaning of your post please. The post was about dogs sleeping on beds in caravans so I'll be b*ggered where the relevance of locked doors comes into the equation. It looks like another post going off course due too Peter not inwardly digesting Carls posting. What " and stop making up pretend problems when the answer is looking you in the face" is beyond me. Perhaps it was early in the morning and Peter posted a reply to the wrong thread hopefully, if not keep taking the medication Peter hehheh!
Can we not put certain people in the cage and let the dog keep us company. Hell, Our Toby seems to have more sense than some people when it comes to sleeping. He sleeps where he wants, Awning, Van but not the bed(too big now). We do have a cage, but to him its his bed and we only ever shut the door when he is likely to get hurt or he is over excited.

Your dog is a member of the family, treat them as such. Make them follow your rules but respect them.

As for stopping them getting on the bed, you have to be firm, ALWAYS tell to get down, if he does not and wants attention, turn your back on him and do not interact. This is the dogs way of chastising each other. DO NOT SMACK OR SHOUT. that will not work and can cause other problems.

And no, if he is doing something you do not like, DO NOT cuddle him, only ignoring him will have the right affect as he wants your approval.

Steve

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Posted in the wrong place, I will try again.....

Can we not put certain people in the cage and let the dog keep us company. Hell, Our Toby seems to have more sense than some people when it comes to sleeping. He sleeps where he wants, Awning, Van but not the bed(too big now). We do have a cage, but to him its his bed and we only ever shut the door when he is likely to get hurt or he is over excited.

Your dog is a member of the family, treat them as such. Make them follow your rules but respect them.

As for stopping them getting on the bed, you have to be firm, ALWAYS tell to get down, if he does not and wants attention, turn your back on him and do not interact. This is the dogs way of chastising each other. DO NOT SMACK OR SHOUT. that will not work and can cause other problems.

And no, if he is doing something you do not like, DO NOT cuddle him, only ignoring him will have the right affect as he wants your approval.

Steve

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Rioja our dogs have a cage as I posted before and they love it. They also have a cage in the car whilst travelling but I have yet to find a cage that will fit in a caravan unfortunately which the post by Carl was about.
LB.Where and how did you post before !Anyway, irrelevant.

You can always put the cage in the car or awning if there is no room in the van.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
LB You got out of bed on the wrong side again...take an happy pill at once !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One very good reason why you should not let your dog(s) on your bed is that this time of year in particular, where there is wildlife there are ticks and other interesting parasites which can attach themselves to your dog and then onto you.

If that was not bad enough, ticks carry Lyme Disease.

To check out what this is go to:-

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/lymedisease.htm
If after reading this you still want to let an animal sleep with you - you must be mad.

Frontline works well at keeping the ticks at bay - but it is not foolproof.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site

Rioja I have no need of a happy pill m8, well at least not until I read some of the postings. Regarding my reply to yourself I was backing up your statement that dogs like cages. I was also stating a fact, not a criticism, that I haven't found a cage that will fit my van. Even if I did I think it would leave little room for me to get past on my nightly wanderings for a pee. If you look back I said above "At home our 3 small dogs sleep on a duvet inside their pen ". Regarding the matter of the dogs on the bed I haven't complained about it, as before, just backing up your claim of dogs liking cages. So you see m8, no need for a happy pill but I might have to start taking them soon if people dont read the posts correctly ;O)

May 27, 2006
Visit site
If dogs were meant to go caravaning they would be born with towing hitches instead of tails..they arnt so they shouldnt go vanning

(John M was last seen running that way⇨ and taking his coat with him)

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
If dogs were meant to go caravaning they would be born with towing hitches instead of tails..they arnt so they shouldnt go vanning

(John M was last seen running that way⇨ and taking his coat with him)
Where's your hitch attached John ? Presume you haven't a tail !!!!!

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Dogs in caravan beds!!! Yuk! Don't do it leave them in the awning - this is a major reason why I will never buy a second hand van. I know you dog lovers will find it impossible to understand, but if I woke up to find a dog next to me in bed I think I'ld throw up all over it.

Helen

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Lord B

You missed what I met sorry it how I had put it. What I met was that the people at the kennels mite not treat them right. (Mother Law had this happen the dog be came nasty).

Clive V

I dart go have a look at that web sit.

Frank

We had 10 cats in the past (NOT ALL AT ONES) and they all sleep on owe bed and I do not now of any one who can tell a cat what to do as well.

Sparkes (Steve)

We tried turn owe back on Bess but she just puts her head down and go to sleep and then we got owe latte girl say liver her and that's not the big trouble the other day when we were away she got out of the awning god she would not come back. She had been on 4 walk at that has well because owe latte boy won't to take her for walks and yet if she on her walk she come back to me as good as gold.

MARK

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts