Dog Poo AND Waste Water

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
O.K. with the risk of being a member of the grumpy old men I'm about to kick off.

This weekend whilst on a C.L. there were the usual 5 pitches (6 actually) and in an adjacent field a meet with 6 more caravans.

Our pitch was alongside the river and bridge that crossed the river. On site were 5 vans with dogs, some having 2, so everytime they walked their dogs they had to pass us to get to the bridge and the walks along the farm lanes. Not one of these people on arriving back at the site were carrying poo bags. O.K. they were farm lanes, but does that absolve these people of acting responsibily? Am I being a bit pedantic by thinking that we, meaning all, while on the site are guests of the owner and should treat their property with respect? The verges alongside the farm tracks were littered in great lumps of dog do do's. I wouldn't let my dogs walk in the grass. Her Ladyship and I were the only ones that picked up and when passing others walking their dogs or on arrival back on site I would swing the said pink coloured poo bags around so that all and sundry could see them. I was hoping to prick someones conscience but would think I was wasting my time. The streets around their homes must be like an open dogs toilet.

Another episode that got up my nose was when Her Ladyship told me to look through the window. A person at a caravan close by was tipping his WasteMasters contents down the bank into the river. That finally did it and I was livid. I'm not noted for my patience, having a short fuse (no rude comments else I will know you've been peeping, hehheh!) and I was about to give the little twerp a piece of my mind when Her Ladyship calmed me down whilst wishing she hadn't opened her mouth :O(

Question - while on someone elses property should you treat that property as you would expect others to do to yours? If so, to all those out there, PLEASE, PLEASE CLEAN UP YOUR DOGS CR*P AFTER YOU, NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE. Thank you.

I now await my Grumpy Old Man club badge :O)

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I totally agree with you LB. Can't understand the mentally of many inconsiderate animal owners. This all gives fodder to the non-animal lovers! You may well stir up the proverbial hornets nest with this one. However, I hope you and Mrs B had a good time otherwise.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
With you on this one L.B., another case of the minority giving the majority a bad name I dont think you are grumpy,you have a healthy respect for your surroundings and like to leave them tidy! good on you!!

Tina xx

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree with you LB. Can't understand the mentally of many inconsiderate animal owners. This all gives fodder to the non-animal lovers! You may well stir up the proverbial hornets nest with this one. However, I hope you and Mrs B had a good time otherwise.
Yes we did thank you Ann :O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
With you on this one L.B., another case of the minority giving the majority a bad name I dont think you are grumpy,you have a healthy respect for your surroundings and like to leave them tidy! good on you!!

Tina xx
Thank you Tina :O)

May 12, 2005
Visit site
L.B,

I can`t see the harm in a dog doing its buisiness in the grass, as long as there is little or no chance of someone stepping in it, I would far sooner see dog mess broken up and washed away in the rain,(like farm muck on the feilds) rather than a moutain of brightly coloured bags going to landfill. Before you say, my own dogs don`t go in the street,I take them to a local forest, and have trained them to get well off the tracks befor leaving anything behind.

Question, had the site owner provided a pooper scoop bin or did you throw them in the normal waste?

I ask because I dont think bags of dog cr*p would be very welcome in household waste bins.

As for grey water in the beck, you should have pushed him in after it, then he would know how the fish felt swimming in his cr*p.

BYE FOR NOW Tony A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In principle I would agree with Lord B. However I can see the other side of the coin in so much that the doggy bags are not for disposal in the normal manner of disposing with household waste. I have the same opinion regarding disposable nappies. The contents of the old Terry Towelling nappies were disposed of down the toilet to a sewage treatment works and the nappy then boiled/washed for reuse. God only knows what filth/germs/diseases there must be at land fill sites now with these disposable nappies. The contents of the doggy bag should therefore be disposed of by flushing away. Incidentally are the bags bio-degradable?

Regarding grey water - I presume this is the water from sinks, wash hand basins, etc. When I was young my father would use this water to water the fruit and vegatables and we always had excellent crops from the garden. I would not like to see the water emptied direct into a water course but using it in a sensable manner for plants would in my opinion be acceptable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On a site we should all pick up our dog poo. At the Easter meet, our friend Alan walked his dogs and picked up only to tread in some himself that had been left on the path by the river.

The stench in the awning was nauseating, as was cleaning where the poor guy had walked then sat down hoping to enjoy a pleasant evening.

I cannot be absolutely certain but the culprit seemed to be a lady with two dogs in a Trailer Tent in the row next to us that just like you LB - I noticed that she walked her dogs without taking or coming back with any poo bags.

As for Tony's comments about disposal in waste bins - what the heck do you think happens to human babies nappy waste Tony? However you look at it sh*te is sh*te.

Far better to dispose of it responsibly. The refuse collectors expect to deal with such "nasties" and are trained and have the protective clothing to deal with it.

The general public should not have to put up with "turd mines" left by the irresponsible.

On a related issue - we have found that buying a big box of plastic gloves (like the ones the paramedics etc. use) makes dealing with the poo far easier - we still use the bags of course but picking it up in a gloved hand, then peeling the glove off to then wrap up the poo makes it so easy to drop it into a bag.

We then carry the little blue bags in an ordinary carrier bag until we can dispose of it.

I live in hope of being mugged for such a bag one day.

A friend of my Aunts cat died and my Aunt was taking the poor cats body to the vets. She had it in a Harrods carrier bag. The bag was snatched by a toe-rag just as she was close to the Vets.

It was found in a park still in the bag by a guy walking his dog who took it to the same Vet that my Aunt was going to.

Just goes to show that there are some total sods out there who do not give a damn about others and there are people that are responsible and treat others how they would like to be treated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When on an Adults only David Bellamy award site in Rutland we were told by the owner to water the borders around our pitch with the grey water. Apparently its a conservation thing!

Jim

May 1, 2006
Visit site
I agree with you totally, I have quite a lot of dogs as I show and breed them occasionally and I never fail to pick up after them, cannot understand the mentality of those that can watch their dog do it then walk off and leave it :(

LRG

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Lord B. 3 yrs ago we visited a site on the east coast which boasted a "green lane" down to the beach. It was in reality a brown lane, with hundreds of deposits , & we had to take a detour of 2 mls when it was dark because you could not risk walking this lane in the dark.The site had bins for dog waste but we saw only one person using them.

There are lots of adults only sites now but I have not seen any no dog sites - anyone know of any?

And no, I'm not anti-dog & will certainly own a pet when I retire, just curious if this is a developing niche market or not!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What do you do with the waste once you have picked it up? It is no good putting it in the refuse bin as initially the bin men must endure it and then there are the unhygenic problems at land fill sites. The waste MUST be flushed down the WC to sewage treatment works for correct disposal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Evening Lord B.I guess you weren't impressed with my favourite pitch then? As far as the dog poo issue goes, I'm sort of divided. If it's in the long grass at the side of the lane, then I'm not too worried. Actually on the lane is a very different matter. Anne and I pick up after our dog wherever it is. The grey water? Well, some sites ask you to pour it around trees and shrubs, but to put in the trout stream is a bit much.Did you tell Tony? I'm sure he would have had a word with the offender. Aside from the occupants, isn't it a gorgeous little pitch, though?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Norfolk Mike I hope you are not classing me as a townie. I have lived in a small country village for over 25 years and as far as sheep are concerned we initially lived in a mining community where the sheep would constantly roam the streets, scavenge the dust bins and create mayhem in the gardens. The mess was terrable but until the local authority acted it was accepted as the norm. God knows mind you how many miners had free lamb/mutton for Sunday lunch. I enjoy the countryside more than the beach. My main issues stem from the fact that I have over my working life been involved in environmental issues and can understand how "progress" has made a backward step in certain cases. As far as the EU are concerned they should all be given a one way cruise ticket and whilst in mid Atlantic use the boat as submarine target practice.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree emmerson, it is a nice CL. No I never told Tony as we left shortly after the incident although I did look to see if I could see him when passing the farm house. I believe he was milking though, because I saw him driving the cattle to the milking sheds about 30 minutes earlier. I did pass on your regards to I believe, his son. He said he knew you. Regarding the dog mess I can't even agree with it being left in the long grass at the side of the lane, dogs walk in that and I didn't want my dogs traipsing through it. It was bad enough when my dogs did their dump and we had to step gingerly in the grass to pick it up. I realise the farm is an organic one but leaving dogs dollops lying all over the place is taking things too far heheheh! Just before we left there was an amusing incident. The cows and heifers in the field opposite were getting all excited, bellowing and charging into the corner of the field. It looked as if they were attacking another of the herd and I thought perhaps a bull was getting frisky. They would surround it and make lots of snorting and then run away only to return into a circle again while getting boisterous. On closer inspection I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a swan and the cattle would surround the swan bellowing then the swan hissed, stuck his neck out and attacked the cows and they all ran off. This happened about 6 times until someone shooed the cattle away and opened the gate for the swan who then wanted to attack his rescuer. Eventually he waddled through the gate and paddled away on the farm pond. I only wish I had a camcorder. :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree emmerson, it is a nice CL. No I never told Tony as we left shortly after the incident although I did look to see if I could see him when passing the farm house. I believe he was milking though, because I saw him driving the cattle to the milking sheds about 30 minutes earlier. I did pass on your regards to I believe, his son. He said he knew you. Regarding the dog mess I can't even agree with it being left in the long grass at the side of the lane, dogs walk in that and I didn't want my dogs traipsing through it. It was bad enough when my dogs did their dump and we had to step gingerly in the grass to pick it up. I realise the farm is an organic one but leaving dogs dollops lying all over the place is taking things too far heheheh! Just before we left there was an amusing incident. The cows and heifers in the field opposite were getting all excited, bellowing and charging into the corner of the field. It looked as if they were attacking another of the herd and I thought perhaps a bull was getting frisky. They would surround it and make lots of snorting and then run away only to return into a circle again while getting boisterous. On closer inspection I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a swan and the cattle would surround the swan bellowing then the swan hissed, stuck his neck out and attacked the cows and they all ran off. This happened about 6 times until someone shooed the cattle away and opened the gate for the swan who then wanted to attack his rescuer. Eventually he waddled through the gate and paddled away on the farm pond. I only wish I had a camcorder. :O)
Little things please little minds.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
As dogs are meat eaters their mess is not the same as sheep and cows and therefore cannot be compared.

Clean up after your dog,wherever it cr*ps ,or get rid of it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There has been a lot of ramblings on this posting regarding dog c**p. Lets look at the facts from a different angle - what use is a dog? - they dirty all over the place, attack bitches as if there is no tomorrow, bark all day and night, attack postmen and other delivery people, chase sheep, etc. etc. I could go on for hours and hours. Therefore, although I am not in favour of the EU, I think there should be an EU directive banning all dogs and making it illegal to own one. Had my say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts