Dog Poo AND Waste Water

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 4, 2005
Visit site
With the exepction of farmers,the police and the blind. ;O)

No seriously , a lot of responsible owners clear up after their dogs , but seem to think that as its in the woods or in a field there is no need. Well I'm sorry but those with young children will know when out for a walk children like to explore too, so just because the dog has cr*pped off the path it does not make it safe to leave it. Brian.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why not always pick up? If you are a dog owner you will of course go out prepared with bags etc, its quick and easy and you soon get used to doing it so why only pick up if you think someone may tread in it? Just do it! On the question of disposal, I asked our local dog warden what was the recommended way to dispose of the stuff I pick up in the garden at home. He suggested I take it to the local park and put it in the bin which seemed like a good idea but as we have 3 German Shepherds and a terrier I found I was filling the bins up. I stopped doing this when I found several of my carrier bags full of the stuff had been taken out of the bin and hidden in a nearby bush (presumably by the person that empties the bin). I contacted my local council refuse department for advice and after a lot of thought they said it was ok to put it in the wheelie bin but it "must not contaminate the bin". I told them I would put it in carrier bags and put these in a black bin bag with the top tied and they confirmed that this was perfectly ok so this is what I do. Jim.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
No it doesn't Brian and thats my whole point. If you are too idle to bother cleaning up don't own a dog. Before I owned a dog this was my pet hate, even writing to the press on such matters. I remember complaining about dogs fouling in the local park and one stupid imbecile of a person replied that dogs were roaming that park long before humans and more attention should be given to vandals. The stupid woman didn't realise that she too was a vandal, an anti-social person for letting her dogs foul public places. She even accused me of being anti - dog. Now I have 3 of my own and I'm waiting for some idiot to accuse me of the same but so far nobody hasn't.

ok off to bed now I got that off my chest hehheh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Why not always pick up? If you are a dog owner you will of course go out prepared with bags etc, its quick and easy and you soon get used to doing it so why only pick up if you think someone may tread in it? Just do it! On the question of disposal, I asked our local dog warden what was the recommended way to dispose of the stuff I pick up in the garden at home. He suggested I take it to the local park and put it in the bin which seemed like a good idea but as we have 3 German Shepherds and a terrier I found I was filling the bins up. I stopped doing this when I found several of my carrier bags full of the stuff had been taken out of the bin and hidden in a nearby bush (presumably by the person that empties the bin). I contacted my local council refuse department for advice and after a lot of thought they said it was ok to put it in the wheelie bin but it "must not contaminate the bin". I told them I would put it in carrier bags and put these in a black bin bag with the top tied and they confirmed that this was perfectly ok so this is what I do. Jim.
Thanks for the clarification Jim. That boots some peoples reasons for not doing it into touch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification Jim. That boots some peoples reasons for not doing it into touch.
Just a thought Lord B, we must be sad old bu**ers to be sat here at this time of night talking about dog sh*t! Nightie night!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde

I with you on this one.

It makes you wonder about the owner if there not will to clear up after there dog how they tree them. It just show they are not will to other thing for them so they are unfit to own a dog and they all so are will to break the law as well.

Mark

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We have just spent a very enjoyable weekend at White House Beach CC site at Lowestoft. Would you believe, hubby took our dog out for his morning stroll and, there was a great pile of dog poo outside the wardens office. I can't think that somebody would do such a thing, and leave it there!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I whole heartedly agree with picking up dog poo. A neighbor of mine has a lad who is blind due to contracting a disease from disgarded dog poo.

Anyway if I let my two labradors leave theirs it would be a bit "obvious" putting it mildly.

I am sure I'm not alone in often being almost physically sick picking it up, but I still do it out of courtesy.

Being a big lad and balshy with it, I have in the past brought irresponssible owners back to deal with fido's mishap. After all it's not the dog's fault it has to go some where.

so PICK UP THE POO and stop using the lanes as a loo!!

Steve Ll

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
To be honest Steve I don't find picking it up a problem. It's like when your children were babies, you could change their nappy without thinking twice but it's a different story being expected to change another baby's nappy. I just couldn't do it hence I can't clean up thoughtless peoples dogs cr*p. :O) I think I've posted this before but last year when at Winchcombe C&CC site there was a dog poo bin and 4 feet away was a great dollop and another dollop 1 foot away at the base of the post and the by product didn't come from the same dog. If thats not anti-social behaviour with a blend of idleness I don't know what is.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Here we go!

A perfectly sensible plea for all dog owners to be sensible and ensure that no mess is left.

Then up comes all the Victor Meldrews saying "Ban Dogs".

Just goes to show the 80/20 rule is alive and well on this Forum. 80% of people are sensible - 20% completing Barking!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Here we go!

A perfectly sensible plea for all dog owners to be sensible and ensure that no mess is left.

Just goes to show the 80/20 rule is alive and well on this Forum. 80% of people are sensible - 20% completing Barking!
Colin has said that before Clive - just ignore the comment like we did last time and perhaps he will go away ;O)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
@ weeks ago we was on a site in norfolk, dog crap everywhere, one dog was running around cocking his leg at everything.

BAN DOGS !!!!
Hope when cocking his leg he didn't miss you out :O) oops there I go, telling Clive to ignore you and I make a comment. Sorry Clive, I couldn't resist hehheh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
There has been a lot of ramblings on this posting regarding dog c**p. Lets look at the facts from a different angle - what use is a dog? - they dirty all over the place, attack bitches as if there is no tomorrow, bark all day and night, attack postmen and other delivery people, chase sheep, etc. etc. I could go on for hours and hours. Therefore, although I am not in favour of the EU, I think there should be an EU directive banning all dogs and making it illegal to own one. Had my say.
Who would then drive those nice woolly jumpers to the local village in the valley so the men can have their pleasure ;O)

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
LOOK, i have been caravaning over 30 years, And up until latley, I have never seen so many irresponsible dog owners, do they not realise their is a lot of young children on the sites?

Dog crap can cause all kinds of Diseases, including blindness !

And I wont't go away :)

BAN DOGS

Shame it's the owners faults.. must be the 80% on here.

Colin

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Here we go!

I do apologise Clive - there I was advising you to ignore Colin then I had to post a comment to his post above, naughty me :O(

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Tut! Tut! temper tantrums, throwing your toys out of pram doesn't solve anything. A lot of people with your attitude towards life would ban caravans, would you agree with that? Or is that a different matter because you have a vested interest in caravans?

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Colin I kind of agree with what you say, especially about the diseases, here in Powys we have the largest incidence of Hydatid disease in Britain (all the sheep!)and I think it can be fatal. But I think a live and let live policy is the best one to follow, small children should be supervised anyway and there are things like anti bac hand wipes available and gels to use, older children should be educated about hand washing after playing outside, that is all we can do really.

Helen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
got to agree with the anti dog brigade here,and yes there are SOME responsible dog owners out there,but i fear there are a mass of very unresponsible dog owners too.just been to a site over the weekend,sign saying 'dogs must be kept on a lead at 'ALL TIMES'.there were dogs running about all over,barking and jumping up at other caravanners.dogs--t on the camping field were kids play,and don't say its just a minority,as have been on numerous sites were dogs are allowed and this has happened on every site i've been too,so its not just a one off.dog owners must take more responsibility when touring with their pets,there are dedicated walks on a lot of sites now and these MUST be used,which is not always the case.so comon all you dog ownwers,do the right thing,and leave nothing for people to complain about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin - I have some sympathy for your point of view - I too am appalled by the lack of consideration for others by a few dog owners.

However, the blindness you mention is due to worm infestations Toxicaria canis. This little beast if ingested can migrate to the brain/eye stalk of children and cause blindness. It was discoverred by a Technicial in a hospital that when sectioning a cyst that had been removed from a patients brain recognised it as a cross section of a nematode worm.

But if you regularly worm your dog there should not be a problem. If everyone picks up after their dogs that is better still obviously.

But if you want to BAN DOGS because of this very rare occurance what the heck are you going to do with bird flu on the way?

Kill all the sparrows? Ban pidgeons from towns? Stop eating eggs in protest.

Where will it all end?

I recommend a bolus dose of Haloperidol - very soothing.

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Lord B. 3 yrs ago we visited a site on the east coast which boasted a "green lane" down to the beach. It was in reality a brown lane, with hundreds of deposits , & we had to take a detour of 2 mls when it was dark because you could not risk walking this lane in the dark.The site had bins for dog waste but we saw only one person using them.

There are lots of adults only sites now but I have not seen any no dog sites - anyone know of any?

And no, I'm not anti-dog & will certainly own a pet when I retire, just curious if this is a developing niche market or not!
Hi LRG,

Pencelli Castle near Brecon is a no dog site. It's a 5 star site with 1st class facilities. I've stored my van there and have used the site for the last 10 years or so (It's only about 28 miles from home). Suits my family as none of us are that keen on dogs but each to their own.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
It all has to do with education and where you live. Back 15 years ago Australian friends were staying with us and I was ashamed to take them anywhere around the city because of the dog mess, especially in parks. Now its extremely rare to see dog mess because people have become more educated and also dog wardens and fines help. In other parts of the country you can't walk a straight line along a pavement for dog excretia. Remarks like Colins, "BAN DOGS", doesn't help because I'm sure there are things in life that I would like to see banned but would affect him. As I said before, some would like to ban caravans, some would like to ban kids, some would like to ban 4x4s, where do you stop?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It all has to do with education and where you live. Back 15 years ago Australian friends were staying with us and I was ashamed to take them anywhere around the city because of the dog mess, especially in parks. Now its extremely rare to see dog mess because people have become more educated and also dog wardens and fines help. In other parts of the country you can't walk a straight line along a pavement for dog excretia. Remarks like Colins, "BAN DOGS", doesn't help because I'm sure there are things in life that I would like to see banned but would affect him. As I said before, some would like to ban caravans, some would like to ban kids, some would like to ban 4x4s, where do you stop?
When a little voice says "Am I being reasonable". Not every one has such an inner voice. They just believe "I am right and you are wrong"

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I agree 100%with everyword L.B.says.O.K.most dog owners who read this will point out how responsible they are,but to my recconing,for 1 responsible owner theirs at least 5-6 not so.

I take my grandson on the local park at the weekend and the odd night now the nights are lighter,and the number of owners who come on the park let the dogs off the lead and just keep walking in a straight line,not bothering to look around where the dogs have gone,or where they,re dropping their mess.I suggest that if people out walking their dogs, whether on parks or public highways hav,nt got with them the facilities to clear the dog mess up then they should be prosecuted.to my mind that would encourage the irresponsible to obey the law.

Cheers to you all. Edward

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts