Doggie "doings" - for adults only!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just got back from a Caravan Club site in Devon, it has a nice dog exercise area. As it was a week-end stay there were quite a few children on site who were helping the parents by taking the dog to the dog walk - trouble is, I watched three or four different children (aged approx 8 - 14) all with different dogs at various times, but not one of them even carried a bag to clear up the dogs mess, the parents were blissfully sitting in their caravans. I offered one of the older children, a young girl roughly 10 years old one of my bags who politely declined informing me she wasn't allowed to pick up dogs mess! Perhaps dog exercise area's will have to become for the use of adults only, or children will have to be accompanied by an adult? Its not fair to expect site owners or wardens to clear up, and it spoils a stroll around a pleasant exercise area when there are literally piles of dog mess everywhere, this really makes me cross when you watch most dog owners trying to do the right thing and clear up after their dogs - hopefully sites will enforce some sort of rules about youngsters with the dogs, I can fully understand parents not wanting young children to get dogs mess on their hands, so don't send the kids to the dog area on their own!!!

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
quote:I can fully understand parents not wanting young children to get dogs mess on their hands, so don't send the kids to the dog area on their own!!!

They don't need to get the mess on their hands its simple turn the bag inside out when my sister had her dog her kids were not allowed to take her out without taking a bag to clear up after her.

G

anim_09.gif
post a notice at the dog walk, tell them when they book in, if they dont clean up and are caught instant membership ban, simples
cool0001.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
anim_09.gif
post a notice at the dog walk, tell them when they book in, if they dont clean up and are caught instant membership ban, simples
cool0001.gif
I agree with you, there should be a clear notice posted on the entrance gate regarding children. Some possibly can't read, so all families booking in should handed a note regarding children in the dog walk.

G

It really anoys me people not sticking to the speed limit on CC sites, alot actually have children in the back! muppets.

BTW I'm not anti dog (perhaps my neirbours and if it dont stop barking I'm gonna kill it or him) would really like a dog again but havn't the time to look after one properly at the moment.

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
I could not agree more with both coments. If the owners (adult and children alike) cannot clear up after their dog whilst on site or the dog walk then they should be banned from the club for life straight away.

The same should apply to the speed limit, if they cannot comply with club rules which are for everybodies safety then they should be thrown out straight away and get a life time ban.

Time to get tough before somebody is hurt.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
the same thing when we went to Hillhead, devon last year. people were also letting there dogs off which is fair enough BUT if there dog does not obey recall they they shouldnt be let off. our dog does not like other dogs sniffing round her there was a lab and a boxer off the lead both had no recall but the 2 drippy owners needed some training aswell they wernt exactly shoulding more like a drippy tune. so we just walked her around the site as we felt we had no choice.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
So can we apply the same "recall" rule to kids that run around screaming and obviously quite uncontrolled and making anusiance of themselves? Can we make toilets and shower blocks an adult supervised place only so that they are there to clean up the mess their kids make? What about a 9pm curfew in all club/social places so that crying over tired kids dont ruin everyone elses social time!At least a dog lies under the table and behaves!

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I hope neither of you 2 ladies above take offence at the other. I can totally see both sides of the story . However, although I am not the perfect parent I get angry at parents who ignore/dont see the behaviour and say its an easy job and go on to have several kids. I have 2 kids and I say its a difficult job because I put a lot of energy into telling them WHY they need to respect others etc etc etc etc. Pleeese if you are a mum look up THE MOM SONG(spelt that way) on WWW.YOUTUBE.CO.UK --if you havent already done so...........

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
It really anoys me people not sticking to the speed limit on CC sites, alot actually have children in the back! muppets.

BTW I'm not anti dog (perhaps my neirbours and if it dont stop barking I'm gonna kill it or him) would really like a dog again but havn't the time to look after one properly at the moment.
So who can you look after well? Wife..lover

May 21, 2008
Visit site
HI Lorraine.

I think your on the right track by suggesting that the dog excercising be restricted to adult supervision.

But! How well trained are the adults?

There is a small percentage who seem to regard holiday time as no holes barred. They have no respect for others.

As I pointed out in the thread I started on this subject a couple of weeks ago, we will be teaching the majority to "suck eggs".

atb

steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve

I don't think some adults can ever be "well trained", however it would seem that other people have noticed that parents do seem happy to let their children take their dogs to the dog walk and have no idea whether they have cleared up the dogs "deposits" or not! Trouble is, we all get cross and angry but none of us feel inclined to go and knock on the parents caravan door and take the issue up with them, perhaps years ago we would have, but society now is very much "look away - don't get involved". Nobody wants to spoil their holiday having confrontations with other holidaymakers but perhaps the sites could help here by requesting that parents accompany younger children or take the dogs themselves! Perhaps the wardens could hand printed notes when they see dog owners book in enforcing that they are responsible for their dog (not their younger children), and some dog walks are more interesting than the childrens play areas, so notices could be posted saying its not a play area! At the end of the day, we all need to work together on this otherwise the dog exercise areas will get closed, the wardens are getting fed-up clearing them up and why should they? If we see children not clearing up then perhaps we could mention it to the warden? Or is that deemed as "telling tales?"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts