Dogs and vans

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We have had a few dogs (animals) over the years and my favoured breed are Labradors because I have had them and we have a young family.

As we have never taken a dog away in the caravan (our last one was too vocal), I wondered how people accomodate them in the van at night.

The options seem to be in the awning which could give them a reason to bark or even escape or perhaps in a basket in the van.

Any genuine good advice?

(Victor Meldrews need not apply!)

G

We don't have our own dogs any more but have taken our daughters Cockers with our Granddaughters with us.

A quilt type dog bed with bone pictures on it is what they sleep on and it just goes on the floor by the door.

Squishes up small during the day and just plump it up for them at night. They lay out like queens and god help anyone that tried to come in the door.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Garry

Our dog sleeps in the caravan, on a soft dog cushion's near the door, during the day we put the cushion in the awning so that it is out of the way.

sharon.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Our german shepherd comes everywhere with us. As its just the 2 of us, at night I set up the side dinette and cover it with throws and blankets and she sleeps on there. Our caravan carpet is covered with plastic runners and our own sofa's are covered in throws.

We have an awning - for boots/shoes and the dog eats/drinks out there. We wouldnt leave her out there all night (some people prefer to), but the awning is very handy for coming back from a long wet walk and we'll dry her off out there before she comes back in the van.

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
we have 2 dogs and they have soft squishy cushions to sleep on, as our beds are at the back of the Van the dogs sleep on the floor in the front, I always use the silver foil (used under sleeping bags in tents) under their beds in the colder months so that if the floor is cold, it does not penetrate their cushions. Big softy me. LOL.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Garry

We have two dogs. Both are caged in the awning tall annexe, they only come in the caravan one at a time and arn't allowed to sleep in the van at night. The cages have cage covers over them to keep out draughs.

They have a halogen heater facing the front of their cages (front of cage covers rolled up) and the heater is left on all night if it's chilly. Obviously, the heater is sited and operated in a safe manner.

I'm fortunate that the older dog never makes a noise and the youngster is nearly there. When we bought our current van we decided we didn't want them in the van too much. We love our dogs and they are quite happy in their dens and they know their place.

Regarding an escaping dog, my youngster is perfect in every way possible, the older dog is a right handful. The older dog has never managed to escape (good job due to her temperament) the youngster 'just popped out of the awning for a minute' - LOL! and that was my fault but no harm was done.

Regards.

Lisa

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi all,

we have a 13 month old Siberian Husky who goes everywhere with us and gives us plenty of exercise, she did sleep at the bottom of our 6ft x 7ft bed as we had little room to store a bed for her but next weekend we pick up a new fixed bed twin axle and she will be in her own bed on the floor by the door as at home, we cant leave her in the awning as Huskies are well known escape artists and will run for miles before wondering where they are, although they are not aggresive and rarely bark but if she got out or was let out we could never forgive ourselves if anything happened to her.

spj.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Our two Labs sleep on the front seats! We cover the whole seating area with a Karrimat and than cover everything with a fitted sheet. The Karrimat prevents any dampness getting into the cushions as it is closed cell and no moisture can pass through it. The older on would bark if they were in the awning and someone happened to walk by.

Malcolm

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Our spoilt little jack russell has his own holiday doggy bed and he sleeps in that on the floor by the door, he lays around on the seats during the day but only if his blanket is on there. if its not he does not want to sit up, the same as at home

Kevin H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa, like you, when we bought our present van, I was determined that my collie would not come in the van. Guess where she sleeps now? I think Herself would rather I slept in the awning than the dog!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Maisie, our Cairn Terrier, sleeps in her own bed at night. Usually snuggled up in a fleece. She certainly doesn't like the cold, even though she originates from the Cairngorms!!! We never leave her at home as she is part of the family and enjoys caravanning as much as we do.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Our first Golden Retriever slept in the van (it was larger than the van we have now) and slept under the bed! We now have two Golden Retrievers who sleep out in the back of the pick up (tow car). I hasten to add that it does have a back on it with darkened windows which do keep out a lot of the heat. We are early risers particularly in the summer, so the dogs are either in the awning until bed time or under the van if its a bit warm. They are not particularly keen on going in the van and can't wait to get into what is their mobile kennel in the back of the pickup. They rarely bark now at passerbys so not a problem although all hell would be let loose if someone tried to break into the pickup. (better than a car alarm). It works for us, but perhaps not everyones choice. We havn't been out in cold weather so would probably have them in the van if we can persuade them to come in.

Gill

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
We did have two dogs until about 8 weeks ago (Benson the old Black Lab cross has gone to fury heaven). We are now left with Bridget the fat whippet cross, boy does she have it good!

She has her own 13.5 tog duvet with cover which we put on the front right bench, she loves it.... and does prefer the heating on!

Fouldsy and his long suffering wife

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
"Only dogs" how could you Mark, they are probably the most devoted friend you will ever have.

Our two dogs sleep in theire own beds on the van floor, we used to let them sleep on the front seats of our old van but stopped this with the new van due to the hair, they learnt very quickly not to jump up and are very happy.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
tongue was firmly planted in cheek!

My Manchester Terrier is absolutely devoted to me , but the Dalmation Ella is just like my ex wife - a dumb bimbo - Kristie loves her though! She oves Ella that is, not my ex wife.

The dogs do sleep outsie though - as they do at home.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
dogs are submissive pack animals - they need to know that they are low down the pack.

Mine love sleeping ouside on the back step - i am certain that they like it cos they keep barking and scratching the door to tell me how much they love being outside.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote: 'I am certain that they like it cos they keep barking and scratching the door to tell me how much they love being outside'.

Brilliant!!

My little Gaylord also loves it outside, he stands on the step and sings.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have 4 dogs, 3 GSDs and a terrier but we only ever take 2 GSDs away with us. We only have a small 2 berth so space in the van is at a premium and only one of the dogs (the oldest) can sleep in the van, on her bed on the floor by the door. The other dog has to sleep in a crate (a cage) in the awning. We are not happy with this arrangement, partly because it means we have to put the awning up which we might not otherwise have done if it is just a one or 2 night stop, partly because there is a risk that she could bark and wake others up thought she nevers has yet, but also because we have so many dognappings where we live that we are reluctant to let them out of our sight. We are intending to upgrade to a larger van for next season partly so that we can have both dogs in the van with us but we are aware that there is a major problem with this---its bad enough being woken at 6 oclock in the morning by one German Shepherd jumping on the bed to wake you up because she has decided its time to go out but 2 !!!!!!!!. Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have 4 dogs, 3 GSDs and a terrier but we only ever take 2 GSDs away with us. We only have a small 2 berth so space in the van is at a premium and only one of the dogs (the oldest) can sleep in the van, on her bed on the floor by the door. The other dog has to sleep in a crate (a cage) in the awning. We are not happy with this arrangement, partly because it means we have to put the awning up which we might not otherwise have done if it is just a one or 2 night stop, partly because there is a risk that she could bark and wake others up thought she nevers has yet, but also because we have so many dognappings where we live that we are reluctant to let them out of our sight. We are intending to upgrade to a larger van for next season partly so that we can have both dogs in the van with us but we are aware that there is a major problem with this---its bad enough being woken at 6 oclock in the morning by one German Shepherd jumping on the bed to wake you up because she has decided its time to go out but 2 !!!!!!!!. Jim.
Isnt it annoying when you dont notice the spelling mistakes until after you have posted. It should be "though she never has" not "thought" Jim

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback - I expect we will try the dog bed by the door idea - more secure for the dog and us.

I did toy with the idea of the dog sleeping in the underbed cavity but I think the space may be a little confined for Labs and the possibility of the bed collapsing on the dog frightens me.

I am really looking forward to taking a dog away - just got to find the right dog now.

G

We had an old dog that would leave her bed and due to her size get on her side under the bed. We realised after a while that she did it whenever the blown air system was on, warm in winter and cool in summer.

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
We have an Alsation and he goes everywhere with us. Sleeps on an old sleeping bag.

During the day he has a 5M length of rope attached to a ground spike that gives him access into the awning.

We havn't left the dog in the caravan by himself, we have a Shogun and had a dog cage made to fit from Hamster Baskets. This is removable and can be placed in the awning if we ever did leave him.

So long as he has 2-3 miles of walking a day he's quite happy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts