dogs - "certain breeds accepted"

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian, I must take exception with your 'overall' claim that terrier dogs are more dangerous than larger breeds. I agree that some can be yappy, but it all depends on how they are brought up.

We have a Cairn Terrier. She is a lovely little dog and we specifically chose this breed for their assertiveness but not aggressive. Nor is she allowed to be 'yappy'. She does have a brain and is a real character. We have been on site next to other couples who, up to the point of packing up at the end of the stay, were very suprised to see my Cairn. They had no idea we had her with us.

We vanned for years with two Shepperd Dogs (1 German, the other Belgian) and had no problems with them either.

At the end of the day it all depends on how well behaved you make your dogs. Training from puppyhood is great importance. I cannot see any reason, however, for carte blanc refusal to allow any animal on site.

I have now put away my soap box!!!
Anne, if you look at my posting and read what I actually said, I have not said that terriers are "dangerous" anywhere.

What I did say is, in my personal findings that they are worse than the larger breeds, and by that , theytend to be more yappy, more inclined to bite first, and have it in their minds that they are 10 times bigger than they really are, which is EXCACTLY what a terrier breed should be.

My bullmastiff has had terriers hanging from his back by their teeth, for no reason other than they wanted to,when was the last time you saw a Bullmastiff hanging from a terreirs back, just for the fun of it?

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Anne, if you look at my posting and read what I actually said, I have not said that terriers are "dangerous" anywhere.

What I did say is, in my personal findings that they are worse than the larger breeds, and by that , theytend to be more yappy, more inclined to bite first, and have it in their minds that they are 10 times bigger than they really are, which is EXCACTLY what a terrier breed should be.

My bullmastiff has had terriers hanging from his back by their teeth, for no reason other than they wanted to,when was the last time you saw a Bullmastiff hanging from a terreirs back, just for the fun of it?
Well, we've just sent the in-laws terrier back home with them (we puppy sat whilst they were in Portugal)...but id never offer to sit again!...hard work...the dog was only 6 months old and had "little big dog syndrome"...it would growl at me and go to bite me if i pulled it off the sofa....it bossed my big german shepherd around like mad.

A true terrier (would make a good working dog). Im not against terriers at all (my mum has a west highland)...but my big dog is certainly easier work and more placid.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I don't know a lot about this; as we've only recently become dog owners for the first time "Choc Lab" but isn't there an existing sort of legislation on this such as the dangerous dogs act etc.

I does seem to me that no site owner can say yes or no based purely on breed. Yes I know they have the right to but there has been some every good points raised on this and the other recent posts - (sadly deleted because I never saw much of it) which rightfully put no correlation between breed and behahavior. Grated that incidents and some statistics show some to be an issue but surely that's the point of things like the Dangerous Dogs act

Monkeys Husband

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I don't know a lot about this; as we've only recently become dog owners for the first time "Choc Lab" but isn't there an existing sort of legislation on this such as the dangerous dogs act etc.

I does seem to me that no site owner can say yes or no based purely on breed. Yes I know they have the right to but there has been some every good points raised on this and the other recent posts - (sadly deleted because I never saw much of it) which rightfully put no correlation between breed and behahavior. Grated that incidents and some statistics show some to be an issue but surely that's the point of things like the Dangerous Dogs act

Monkeys Husband
We have boarding kennels near us which don't accept certain breeds, because 'other owners won't bring their dogs if they see we have Staffies/rottweilers,/bulldogs etc'. We have a 15year old Staffie ***** who we got as a pup fromm a rescue centre. Over the years, she has never attacked another dog unless it attacked her first, and she is so gentle with children, it is lovely to watch, although I would never leave her on her own with them - for her sake! We had 2 cats, who have sadly gone now, but she never attacked either of them - she know better, they made sure of that. I just think, if busineses can afford to make these conditions, they don't need my money, I'll go somewhere else.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
We have boarding kennels near us which don't accept certain breeds, because 'other owners won't bring their dogs if they see we have Staffies/rottweilers,/bulldogs etc'. We have a 15year old Staffie ***** who we got as a pup fromm a rescue centre. Over the years, she has never attacked another dog unless it attacked her first, and she is so gentle with children, it is lovely to watch, although I would never leave her on her own with them - for her sake! We had 2 cats, who have sadly gone now, but she never attacked either of them - she know better, they made sure of that. I just think, if busineses can afford to make these conditions, they don't need my money, I'll go somewhere else.
too right!..silly rule..we'll just go elsewhere!

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Well said. I have two dogs, Stafford cross who I got at the age of six months from a rescue centre. And one exceptionally well bred Stafford which I was lucky enough to buy this year when he was eight weeks old with the intention of showing him.

The Stafford cross has an aversion to any other dog it sees whilst out. The psychological damaged was done to her by a previous owner/s. Despite training and psychological assessments, she'll never change. It is managed by myself physically with the addition of a muzzle which acts as a tool to stop her biting another dog should one run up which is off the lead and not under its owners control. It is also a visual tool to other people.

The youngster has an endearing personality and has been properly socialsied etc and also line bred for temperament and type from generations of champions.

It's also a case of knowing your own dogs, dog 1 can never be trusted near any dog whatsoever, very short fuse. Dog two loves any dog but is restricted sometimes by myself until I can form an opinion on the approaching dog and the competence of its owner. This is purely to protect him from being bitten/scared.

Lisa.
hi, our 1st staffie we sort of rescued he had lived out in a garden no shelter and his claws were so overgrown.he was fantastic with our 6 year old son ( who is now 12) who has epilepsy and learning difficulties.when we had to put max down we deceided we needed to get one from a good breeder with champ lines and etc etc same as you really.max was not good with other dogs we just kept him away from them but he was fantastic with people especially kids he was the ultimate nanny dog.hopefully storm will be the same but shes still only a baby.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Sarah

I love dogs and understand your comments but where you comment about all dogs should be let and if a problem arises - then the culprits removed is not acceptable. Do you get to decide which child gets bitten before said dog and owner is asked to be removed?

At the easter meet we where pitched next to a van that was not part of the meet. Their terriers got loose one day and made a straight run at my youngest. luckily I was there to divert them and in no unsure terms I told the owners that I would snap the neck of their dogs if that happened again. I was bitten 3 times and ended up having to carry their dogs back to them by the scruff of their necks. The owner immediately saw I was serious and locked the dogs away.

I am fairly mild mannered but when it comes to my kids I will not think twice about protecting them even if it means killing little Rex.

So, Who is it that decides if the caravaner's and their kids should be at risk?

Steve

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At the end of the day, a site owner has the same choices as shops, they can choose who they have on site, and who not to, aftre all, it is their site!

Being a dog owner, I am always grateful to those who allow dogs on, but also understand those who choose not to.

Some things we just have to live with, and this is one of them.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
i understand all your points and of course when i said the culprits should be removed - i didnt mean that once the animal has been threatening "then remove it". I meant if any dog is a nuisance/not tied up/constantly barking/running lose etc - then the owners should be warned. It shouldnt come to any point that anyones safety is at risk.

Of course protecting your children is your 1st priority (love kids - hope to have my own one day).

My whole point in this thread, and really you have pointed out in your post (steve)...that bigger dogs are no more of a threat than a terrier sized dog....so why ban bigger dogs on some sites?? And it was a terrier that went for your youngest.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Sarah

I love dogs and understand your comments but where you comment about all dogs should be let and if a problem arises - then the culprits removed is not acceptable. Do you get to decide which child gets bitten before said dog and owner is asked to be removed?

At the easter meet we where pitched next to a van that was not part of the meet. Their terriers got loose one day and made a straight run at my youngest. luckily I was there to divert them and in no unsure terms I told the owners that I would snap the neck of their dogs if that happened again. I was bitten 3 times and ended up having to carry their dogs back to them by the scruff of their necks. The owner immediately saw I was serious and locked the dogs away.

I am fairly mild mannered but when it comes to my kids I will not think twice about protecting them even if it means killing little Rex.

So, Who is it that decides if the caravaner's and their kids should be at risk?

Steve
my point exactly steve - it was a terrier! see post below

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
At the end of the day, a site owner has the same choices as shops, they can choose who they have on site, and who not to, aftre all, it is their site!

Being a dog owner, I am always grateful to those who allow dogs on, but also understand those who choose not to.

Some things we just have to live with, and this is one of them.
i also appreciate all sites that accept my dog. and can understand fully that everyone does not like dogs so there is a need for "dog free" sites, and yes each to their own, everyone picks the site which suits them.

What really bugged me and made me start this thread in the 1st place was the "no alsations" on a certain site,....yes the site has their right to say this, but to me a dog is a dog....yes the size may be bigger..but each is as threatening as the other if need be.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have two gorgeous Labradors. The white ***** is as soft as putty and will nuzzle you to keep stroking her. The chocolate dog is young (2 1/2 years old)and boysterous. He always wants to play and at 7 stone could easily knock an adult over. Neither of them are nasty at all.

However my niece has a king charles spaniel that would have yuor hand off!! He's like a parana with teeth like a paper shreder.

People often confuse size and playfulness in dogs with agression. A dog will only behave the way it has been trained to.

Our white Labrador has actually been trained as a "personal protection dog" and given the command she turns into as good a guard dog as a Doberman. Remember the first comment I made about her. (soft as putty).

Steve L
Steve

We've also got a Chocolate Labrador, who's about 18 months old. Very people friendly, but also too boisterous as at about 5 stone he would knock a child or elderley person for six, so it's tricky letting him off the lead. We've taken him to training classes but footballs just drive him nuts! He thinks that any ball is there for him to play with! Sinking his large white teeth into a child's ball does not endear him to others. Any tips?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
saw on a site a guy and wife with just two dogs --- but they were Great Danes and stood 45" at the shoulder and weighed 12 stone...

not on leads

My children were terrified --

should these be allowed?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Steve

We've also got a Chocolate Labrador, who's about 18 months old. Very people friendly, but also too boisterous as at about 5 stone he would knock a child or elderley person for six, so it's tricky letting him off the lead. We've taken him to training classes but footballs just drive him nuts! He thinks that any ball is there for him to play with! Sinking his large white teeth into a child's ball does not endear him to others. Any tips?
You could try giving him a ball coated in mild mustard after a few times he will associate the bad taste with the ball and then should leave the ball alone. When doing this be there with a bowel of water for him to drink and also a wet cloth to wash his face. That way he will see you as coming to the rescue and not the instagator of the situation.

Labradors are notorious for chewing when young but they do grow out of it.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
At risk of causing riot, I'll say it depends on the training. A professionally trained dog will behave the same on or off the lead.

We only use leads when on site and walking on the roads and that is for the safety of the dogs more than others as they are excited at being away on holiday in strange surroundings with a million sniffs to sniff.

We invested

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
The comment made by "mickey" to which the post by Jim and Pauline refers has been deleted.
Hi Mod......

I know some people may make comments which are not liked by others.But even if they sound like idiots deleting posts is not always good. They need to see both sides of peoples opinion.

Dogs and open spaces get people who feel strongly both for and against. Big or small dog either can be vicious.

So if people want to post crap then let them as it all works out in the end...If they are not welcome here then they will get the message. I agree with removing posts only when they make personal attacks aimed at that one person.............

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
We were actually asked to leave a site last year after being there for only one hour because the neighbouring van owner objected to our dog.

Our dog, yes he is a German Shepherd, had just settled on his short tether, a securely shackled steel wire, when the guy in the next van saw him and objected "as he was terrified and had once been bitten by a German Shepherd"

As you can imagine we were, well annoyed is understating it, because he was causing no nuisance apart from just being there but agreed to leave without any fuss.

Now I love my dog and I love the breed but am the first to admit that they have a certain "reputation". This is not entirely undeserved because they certainly do make the finest Guard or Police dogs and can demonstrate fierce aggression when the occasion demands. This unfortunatley forms the public perception of the dog generally which as any GS lover will is largley untrue.

One of the breed characteristics is a mistrust of strangers and this is usually evidenced by barking and growling at anyone who is not in the "tribe" and particularly anyone approaching the house such as the Postman - I value this actally as it is one of the reasons I own a dog. However, once he or she has accepted you into the greater family a more loving and loyal friend would be hard to find.

My "Arthur" is a 6 stone Jet Black GS with a very loud snarling bark and huge white teeth that would terrify any intruder, if he was bearing down on you, believe me you would be very scared!

See him with my smallest grand children though and he is the softest gentlest of creatues and is in fact a perfect family pet.

So what's my point - well it's this, be aware of the responsibility that goes with owning a large powerful animal and realise that a lot of people do not share your view that dogs are harmless, in fact many view a GS as a menace and a threat.

Unfortunatly the public perception is unlikley to change, particularly with media sensationalism that thrives on "dog incident" stories, so I guess we have to accept the predudice however unjustified we think it is. Lets face it,with the majority of sites welcoming responsible dog owners of all breeds the situation can be lived with.

I think there are a few sites about that don`t accept certain breeds even ones that aren`t on the dangerous dog act. I expect they`re in their rights to do so as it`s their site but i now just look at it as a case of their loss.

I own 2 dogs the eldest one is a Cocker Spanial and the youngest is a Rottweiler and peoples reactions to both dogs is vast. People see my spanial and don`t bat an eyelid but when they see my Rottweiler that`s a different story. The thing is if their dog went for my Rottweiler she`d jump back 10 feet yet my spanial would snap back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The last post ably describes the problem dogs have with irresponcible people.

We had a really soft LabradorCollie cross that adored "her boys" - (my children) - more or less by accident we trained her to find them when they hid in the Forest on long walks. All you had to say was "wheres them boys" - and off she would go, nose to the ground and find them. Truly impressive!

So basically, to protect the dog (you know what these people are like - the sun shines out of little Johnies backside and they can do no wrong) they were asked to leave. That boy was basically being allowed to grow up to be cruel to animals!

Obviously no longer "friends".

Yes - such blind predjudice against a particular breed is stupid and does annoy me. But then there are more stupid people about than ever before it would seem.

You only have to look at some of the ridiculous things posted on here (the most recent silly ones thankfully deleted) to confirm that.
Did you replace your mobile Lisa? Still kids will be kids.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The last post ably describes the problem dogs have with irresponcible people.

We had a really soft LabradorCollie cross that adored "her boys" - (my children) - more or less by accident we trained her to find them when they hid in the Forest on long walks. All you had to say was "wheres them boys" - and off she would go, nose to the ground and find them. Truly impressive!

So basically, to protect the dog (you know what these people are like - the sun shines out of little Johnies backside and they can do no wrong) they were asked to leave. That boy was basically being allowed to grow up to be cruel to animals!

Obviously no longer "friends".

Yes - such blind predjudice against a particular breed is stupid and does annoy me. But then there are more stupid people about than ever before it would seem.

You only have to look at some of the ridiculous things posted on here (the most recent silly ones thankfully deleted) to confirm that.
See reply in 'events'

Lisa

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
saw on a site a guy and wife with just two dogs --- but they were Great Danes and stood 45" at the shoulder and weighed 12 stone...

not on leads

My children were terrified --

should these be allowed?
James, I think you've hit the nail on the head - it's the possible fear that people may have of large breeds that is the reason for restricting them. I am very wary of large breeds simply because if they do decide to have a go you don't stand a chance!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My mum used to have a Chihuahua. It was fearless towards other dogs and regularly went for other dogs, no matter what breed they were. People used to think it was very funny. If the dog had been taller and more powerful, I don't think it would have been the same story.

Lisa

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I think there are a few sites about that don`t accept certain breeds even ones that aren`t on the dangerous dog act. I expect they`re in their rights to do so as it`s their site but i now just look at it as a case of their loss.

I own 2 dogs the eldest one is a Cocker Spanial and the youngest is a Rottweiler and peoples reactions to both dogs is vast. People see my spanial and don`t bat an eyelid but when they see my Rottweiler that`s a different story. The thing is if their dog went for my Rottweiler she`d jump back 10 feet yet my spanial would snap back.
Yes and what can make it tricky is that dogs can sense fear in other dogs and humans and as I'm sure you know, "sometimes take the micky" - training and being aware can manage the situation though I find.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dog owners should realize and accept that they are not welcome everywhere. I'm not particularly found of dogs and am quite happy to have camp sites that restrict or forbid them. In my opinion all camp sites should demand that dogs be kept on a leash at all times, regardless of how expensive the dog training.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa.

Your post reminded me of a pampered Pekeinese (hope the spelling is okay)my late grannie used to have. The lovable little brute would snap and bite nastily at everyone and us children were terrified of it. Grannie believed it could do no wrong and it was allowed to sit on a dining chair at the table to be served tit-bits and had it's own cushion to sit on on the sofa. What power! But if this had been a large dog, not so funny.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts