Dogs in Cars

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi i have a american lab a staffy thay got to go for boosters tommorow i booked the first app so i dont have to take them in the midday sun as it knocks me about in this heat and he is a lot more than 40 kgs and not fat the lab that is as he is bigger than the uk breed

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do you mean the heat knocks you out, or do you mean your Labrador knocks you about in the heat?

Sorry, I'm confused.

Lisa

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
'I don't understand why Parent/Children spaces in car parks are nearest to the store - don't children and parents have legs that work??? '

They do but its bloody difficult to juggle young children with getting a trolley and a ticket - if you leave your child in the car you are neglecting them after all.

Why do the number of disabled spaces far outway the number of parent and child? thats the question!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
stephena, why does it matter where the parant and child spaces are, afer all if you have a ticket machine near the p&c area and have your nice wide spaces, I dont see what the problem is. I suppose also if the p&c spaces were at the far end of the car park the precious little things could also get some exercise, which alot of them seem to lack these days

Smilly thingy

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I understand that proximity to the front door doesnt matter to me as long as there is a ticket machine nearby.

In my experience the ones closest to the door are generally occupied by the obese regardless of the intended purpose!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This thread seems to be heading completely off topic.

This forum is not the place to complain about the allocation of supermarket car parking spaces or to criticise other shoppers whether they have children, are obese or whatever.

Take it up with your local supermarket or write to your MP, this is a CARAVAN forum!

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Why isn't it in chit chat? Clearly it's not caravan related so why is it posted here. If it was posted here in error then a mod should move it - that's what happens on normal forums.

Oh and :0) before someone gets the hump

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
'Normal' forums utilise normal software.

Mods on this forum have no method with which to move topics so we're left with the choice between deleting altogether when a topic posted in the wrong place or leaving it on to allow the subject to be discussed anyway.

Even so, no matter where a topic is posted this forum is not a platform for criticism of sections of society such as families with children or obese people.

That sort of thing simply leads to silly arguments which discredit us all.

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi, my idea of shopping when caravanning is to regulary visit the local town/ village stores, farm shops and produce sold by the garden gate. Yes I have 5 kids and a dog but to me thats part of the relaxed lifestyle and teaching the kids to choose good fruit and veg.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Do you mean the heat knocks you out, or do you mean your Labrador knocks you about in the heat?

Sorry, I'm confused.

Lisa
sorry lmh heat knocks me about bad astma he does knock me about when i torment the big soffty

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Go online...order from Asda etc...sit back and wait for it to be delivered....no children...no dogs....job done.....ha ha.

(P.S.I have both a dog and children).

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
I agree with Lisa,

If you eventually put the dog in the back yard of the flat why didn't you just do this in the first place??

Even I cannot stick being in a non-moving car in this humid sticky weather so there's no way I would leave my German Shepherds in the car. They are best left at home in a cool room.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
We are at Slinfold at the moment and have been to Tesco's in Horsham a few times since being here. We take the dogs with us, can't leave them in the van anyway, and if possible find a shaded place and if this isn't possible a spot with the sun away from the rear.

I then open the sunroof, all windows, and fill the water bowl up. If it still warms up I close the windows, start the engine up and turn on the air conditioning, ****** the environment ;O)I then relax with the dogs whilst my servant goes and does the shopping :O)

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Shaded spaces for dog owners !!! We have enough trouble getting a space reserved for people with kids, as they get used by A##h##ls without children you got Buckleys chance. LEAVE THE DOG AT HOME !!!!!

Why o why do pepole feel the need to take dogs to supermarkets, car boot sales and the like, when they are best left at home? Its nothing short of cruelty.
supermarkets would be a better place if the kids were left at home lol

Feb 23, 2007
Visit site
A security trained chocolate labrador?? That is the funniest thing I've read today! What will he do to a 16 stone thug? lick him to death?? Before I got my chocolate lab I read everything I could about the breed and I read a comment in a book about labs and it said "If you want a guard dog don't get a lab because he will greet a burgular with a wagging tail" and I believe that because I was out cleaning the inside of the caravan while it was on the drive and a bloke opened my drive gates, walked up the drive, put a leaflet through my door and Harvey, my chocolate lab, greeted him like an old friend!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Parksy - if I may be allowed to meander off the topic under discussion and also would you pardon my ignorance but I often see on this forum (I think you have used the abbreviation as well) but what is meant by :0)????????

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's supposed to represent a smiley face Colin.

Because this forum doesn't have modern fol de rols we try to indicate that we are only joking by entering :0)

;0) represents a wink which also means that a comment is not really meant to be taken too seriously and :0( is a grumpy face, think of Lord Brakewynde at an Eisteddfod.

If you turn your head to the left the 'smileys' appear to be the right way up.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all.

sorry for missing this thread I have just picked it up as the last site was a blackspot for the dongle "grrr" we are now back home, anyway I digress, having read what has been posted so far I must say there is a lot out there that don't like dogs or kids isn't there, some of the suggestions above are so one sided it makes your eyes water.

a couple of points I think should be mentioned here, "what next dog spaces for dogs??" someone said well why not?? and no parksy I am not just talking about supermarkets, anywhere where cars are parked should have them.

leave the dog at home mmmm difficult when your away in the van init can't leave the mut in the van can we?? hell no, take the dog out and about with you how?? when just about everywhere has signs up no dogs allowed, leave the dogs in kennels when you go away?? what for a whole 6 weeks no chance, allthough its a pity some kids are not left in kennels while the parents are away heh "nuff said".

go to the 24hr supermarket at midnight good idea son exept when the nearest supermarket is 15miles away and then it is only a tesco express and the nearest 24hr one is 35miles away "good plan" allthough getting back to the site at 1am and unloading the shopping would not go down too well with the other campers would it. oh and as the average van fridge aint got a freezer big enough for a bag of frozen chips you would be doing the trip 4 times a week er very popular that would.

one correction for steve in leo there is one other carpark I know of that has special dogs in cars spaces and that one is in glastonbury in the middle of the carpark is a covered area for about 12 cars with a sign saying

"this area is for cars that contain dogs" allthough when I was there 2 weeks ago 5 of the spaces were taken up by convertables with the tops down, very understanding what??.

also on the subect of "soft" chocolate labradors a guy I used to work with had one, called it "bournville" it had yellow eyes and was as keen as mustard it had to be put down when a youth climbed over his 6ft high fence to retrieve a ball, the dog had him in a instant causing sever damage to his left leg this despite having a 2ft square sign on the back gate saying "guard dog inside, do not enter you have been warned" so obviously a sign is not a deterrent.

while I applaud steves efforts to keep the dog comfortable and also LB's idea of using the air con I have really only one suggestion and that is what we do "if they dont want our dog they dont want our money" if we do a stop anywhere after parking the car one of us goes to ask if they have places that accomodate dogs if they say "no" WE LEAVE its as simple as that and on the occasions we have to shop on hot days one of us does the shopping while the other takes the dog out of the car and waits in a shaded area, as the wife is Disabled it is usually me that does the shopping so we tend to eat a lot of salads :O)

colin

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

I'm wondering if the lab you refer to (which had to be put down) was actually a full labrador. My understanding of the KC breed standard is that the lab should have brown or hazel eyes.

The only reason I mention this, is that with my breed (Staffords), the eyes should be dark. However, there are some dogs bred (not to the standard) which have green or blue eyes and in some instances amber. Very poorly bred examples with no health testing and in some cases of dubious temperament.

Bad news.

Lisa

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I think the topic of dogs in cars is most definately a generaly related subject to caravanning as 80% (at a guess) of caravanners take dogs away with them. Furthermore at least on 6 occassions this year this subject has been posted here at this forum topic level.

Yesterday I had to go to Leominster police station on a tax disc matter as my on-line tax disc had not arrived in our wonderful post. However while I was there I took the opportunity to ask if I was doing the right thing as regards the dog being in the car. They were more than satisfied that our car has sufficient air flow and cooling to have the dog inside. Like LB, I'm content to put the air con on if need's be.

One point I didn't raise was that most of the time we have no choice but to take our dog with us as we are permanent caravanners. Leaving the dog at the van is not an option as not only is it against site rules, but the carvan is hotter than the car and also the dog would be left unattended the whole time we are out.

Our chocolate lab although 40kgs is actually a big framed dog and not fat at all. He is very well behaved and won't even chase cats. He will operate without commands and do what any other dog does, he gives us hours of fun,love and companionship.

Atb Steve .

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Steve

I don't know how you managed to guess at 80% of caravanners going away with dogs.....we know and have been away with nine caravanning couples/families, and only 2 of those have dogs! I know I'm not very good at maths, but that doesn't equate to 80%....lol ;o)

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
please quantify the 80% bit.

Provide your proof, as the last site i went on had 12 vans and no dogs,( dogs were allowed) , and the one before that around 80 pitches which would mean that there should, have been 64 dogs on site, but i dont recall that many , perhaps there were 5 or 6 that i noticed.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

So your properly security trained dog will work with passwords to control him. But he'll operate without commands.

Now I'm totally confused.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts