Dogs in Cars

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi lisa, you may well be right about dog breeds I could not pssibly comment on that point as I do not know enough about them. all I do know is as a dog lover that knows the basics of dog behaviour I can usually spot the signs when a dog is not people friendly immaterial of the breed.

some small dogs can be very aggressive while big ones will lick you to death the point I was making was that some one commented earlier that chocalate labs are allways soft and I was refering to my own expierience that it is not allways the case beit wether the dog is a pure breed or not lets face it some dogs are just mental "bournville" was one of those well trained but not a pet it just had ths look " keep your distance" question is could a child spot the signs but thats another topic alltogether.

colin

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
awe come on I think you are being a little harsh on steve I know what he means having a dog you should too. sheep dogs are trained using whistles without a word being spoken many things you can get your dog to do without saying a word or by using a word that only you and the dog understands.

likewise you dont have to tell the dog to do everything do you if the back door is open and it wants a pee it wil either come and tell you or go out on its own. our dog wont walk without the lead on take it off and it will sit down and wait till it is put back on never trained it to do that it just picked up the habit over the years.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

Thanks for the reply.

I'm very interested in this labrador which I assume, is firstly a pet but will go into another mode when given a password (as Steve doesn't say its a working dog).

From my limited experience in dog training and rehabillitation of bull breeds (although bull breeds are not normally used as guarding dogs), it takes a certain type of dog to become a 'security dog' and the word 'security trained' means a whole manner of different areas that's why I'd have liked further clarification from Steve but its not forthcoming.

Lisa

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't think Lisa is being harsh, as she has mentioned, I believe that as someone with a deep interest in dogs, she is just asking for clarification of the term "security trained" as this can mean many things to many people, and I must admit, having been involved in this area myself in a previous life, I am more than a little curious myself.

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
DOGS SHOULD NOT BE LEFT IN CARS IN HOT WEATHER, animal/dog lovers you should consider if having a large active dog is the right thing to do if you live permanently in a caravan and the dog has to go everywhere with you, is it a Lurcher.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi lisa, as the PM would say at the despactch box "I refer the questioner to a reply I made earlier" ie. "lets face it some dogs are just mental "bournville" was one of those well trained but not a pet it just had this look " keep your distance""

what I mean't was it did all the well trained doggy stuff like sit and stay and was house trained but it knew what it's job was. it had the free run of the house when unoccupied but was immediatly despatched to the yard with a stern "YARD" command when visitors arrived and it stayed there doors open untill told "come in" when they left.

on the VERY odd occasion it was told to come in while you were still there it just had this look that sent shivers down the spine very scary like I said it was mental by nature not trained to be aggressive on command.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
hi lisa, as the PM would say at the despactch box "I refer the questioner to a reply I made earlier" ie. "lets face it some dogs are just mental "bournville" was one of those well trained but not a pet it just had this look " keep your distance""

what I mean't was it did all the well trained doggy stuff like sit and stay and was house trained but it knew what it's job was. it had the free run of the house when unoccupied but was immediatly despatched to the yard with a stern "YARD" command when visitors arrived and it stayed there doors open untill told "come in" when they left.

on the VERY odd occasion it was told to come in while you were still there it just had this look that sent shivers down the spine very scary like I said it was mental by nature not trained to be aggressive on command.
Just read this thread (half as got bored) as I have just come back from my first trip with our dogs.

All I can say is "why are so many people so awkward and seem to enjoy provoking others with their silly comments?'

Some people have children, some have dogs and some have both. Just be tolerant of others. What ever they have - don't jump on people just for saying what they do. Most of us are responsible people, we know about dog theft and hot cars etc etc and we do all we can. No one is perfect all the time!!! although some seem to think so and have all the ideas

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Just read this thread (half as got bored) as I have just come back from my first trip with our dogs.

All I can say is "why are so many people so awkward and seem to enjoy provoking others with their silly comments?'

Some people have children, some have dogs and some have both. Just be tolerant of others. What ever they have - don't jump on people just for saying what they do. Most of us are responsible people, we know about dog theft and hot cars etc etc and we do all we can. No one is perfect all the time!!! although some seem to think so and have all the ideas

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Steve

So your properly security trained dog will work with passwords to control him. But he'll operate without commands.

Now I'm totally confused.

Lisa
Hi Lisa.

Our dog is also a family pet, by that I mean he will bark at strangers and do the usual doggy stuff using his initiative.

Atb Steve

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Very well worded Steve.

Short of divulging exactly who and how my Labrador was trained, would actually be rather suicidal from a security point of view and a waste of the money I paid to the trainer.

Suffice to say, Labradors are very intelegent and easy to train.

As for my guesstimate of 80% of caravanners being dog owners that is based on what I see at our seasonal site where I've been for the last two years and upon the comments and enquiries I have seen on this forum as I've been here almost from day one.

Atb Steve L.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Assuming 80% of caravaners are dog owners bsaed on the comments of dogw owners in dog related threads is a little spurious.

As for having a "security trained" dog i take you have insurance cover and also display warning signs, of course if your dog is security trained and does actually bite or injure anyone especially on a camp site...... think of the outcome.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
steve.

As with most topics aired on forums most of the replies wil be based on a posters own oppinions and experiences and as these oppinions will be vastly different from poster to poster some of which will be from both ends of the scale, there will allways be the occasional antagonism shown. afterall if everyone had the same oppinion there would be nothing to post about and there would be nothing for the moderators to do?? "sorry parksy".

steve in leo.

Statistics can be made to show anything the presenter wishes them to show especialy ones that are not based on any scientific data just ones own obsevations the figure you quote of 80% my well be correct based on your own experience and the site you presently frequent I would not argue with that. change the criteria and the figures would change dramaticly having just returned from a 6week excursion from the south/west visiting many different sites my own observations would put the figure nearer 70% of vanners with dogs and 10% of vanners with children. so why the difference, well most of our visit was outside any school holidays. so less families were there most of the others were retired couples and as most of these had a dog "the exeption to this were foriegn visitors" who tended not to have dogs. but the odd child with them. I would not in any way try to say my obervations were correct just the way I saw it some one who only goes away in the van with kids during school hols on the most popular sites would probably say most vans had kids with them there would probably be less retired couples with dogs on these sites so the numbers would be reduced may be down to 10%. it all depends on your own perspective afterall.

colin

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
dam edit button or lack of roll on the new forum.

I continue as for having a security trained dog well theres nothing wrong with that as far as I can see especialy as a person in your situation "perminantly living in a van" good luck with it, all I could say on the subject is having a dog any dog is they offer a certain degree of security while away the same as they do at home, I am a lot more settled knowing the dog is there with the wife while I am away fishing for hours on end.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
QUOTE:Short of divulging exactly who and how my Labrador was trained, would actually be rather suicidal from a security point of view and a waste of the money I paid to the trainer.UNQUOTE

Glad to hear you'll be safe in your caravan and car and also when you're out and about generally.

If I'm ever in the Hereford district or surrounding areas, I'll be on the lookout for a large chocolate labrador with the drive and compulsion of a GSD or similar.

Lisa

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi

So there is a place in society for a caravan site dedicated to wrinkly couples with one or more dogs ...... and a mobile shop that delivers every hour on the hour (so they don't need to visit supermarkets.)

Utopia draws nigh ;-)

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
LMH your attempts to wind Steve up are having no affect this time, why not give in with the sarcasum and try to post something mnore constructive. If Steve has a security trained dog so what, if you dont believe him so what.

Im suprised the mods havent stopped it as it just may start kicking off as you so like.

Kevin

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Steve wrote that his dog is 'security trained' and Lisa has asked questions about this training.

It's up to Steve to decide if he wants to answer Lisa's questions or not, if real problems start to appear in this topic or if Steve starts to feel picked on it will indeed be halted.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your comments Kevin, greatly appreciated.

I think the voodoo vibes from another place caught up with me today, had rather a nasty accident, just off to the hospital again.

All the best.

Lisa

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Quote Steve in Leo ...

"I think the topic of dogs in cars is most definately a generaly related subject to caravanning as 80% (at a guess) of caravanners take dogs away with them".

How I read this is that Steve is saying that at a guess 80% of campers take their dogs away with them meaning that the other 20% either put them in kennels or leave with friends or relatives NOT that 80% of vanners are dog owners.

If I'm right and Sooze is wrong let it be a warning to her, the scrumpy is addling her brain :O)

Kev, well posted, we can't all be Barbara Woodhouses or even wish to be ... heh! heh! heh!

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Attn LB (yes, by that I mean please pay attention, LB ;o) lol!!)

Steve in Leo wrote at 09.39 am on 2 July: "As for my guesstimate of 80% of caravanners being dog owners that is based on what I see at our seasonal site....".

So he IS saying that in his view 80% of caravanners are dog owners.

Oh, and I don't drink scrumpy, my brain is naturally addled, being female and blonde....what's your excuse? ROFL. I did, however, buy some Thatchers Ciderberry this evening, Sainsburys have it on offer at 2 bottles for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts