Dogs on holiday

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi, we go to France every year for our hols, this year we are thinking of taking the dog, I know that on the day you are due to travell home a vet has to give the dog a good bill of health, can you just turn up or do you have to book an appointment, is it easy?, can anyone recommend a vet, that is near Guines, we always use the tunnel to get home so we would need one near to there, many thanks.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Your dog has to be checked and given the medicines not less than 24 hours before you sail, and not more than 48 hours - and this is strictly checked at the port - so you can't just have it done on your last day, you'll need to work out carefully where you'll be about thirty hours before you get to the tunnel. You'll need to book an appointment with a vet in that area.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It isn't just 'a good bill of health' either - its two different treatments which have to be given, hence making the appointment - to make sure the vet knows what you want, and has the medicines in stock. Most vets are well aware what is required, but you must make sure that all the paperwork is stamped and dated correctly by the vet, too.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Tanya.

The Requirements

To bring your pet INTO the UK under the Pets Passport Scheme, follow this sequence to the letter -

Have your pet micro-chipped so that it can be identified.

Then have it injected against rabies by a qualified vet after it is micro-chipped ( this has to be done even if it has a current rabies vaccination before it is micro-chipped ).

A blood sample from the pet must then be tested by a qualified vet. to prove it has an acceptable level of protection against rabies.

Assuming a successful outcome to the test, the vet. can then issue the Pet Passport

Then, THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT. Your pet cannot be brought back IN to the UK for six calendar months after the date of the original blood test. So if you begin the sequence tomorrow, you would be able to take the pet OUT of the UK as soon as the Pet Passport is issued but you couldn't bring it back IN much before the beginning of September.

'Val A' has very adequately covered the timing of the treatment required prior to return which gives you two options. If you are going to use a vet. near to Guines, book your return trip after about 11.00am because the pet will have to be examined before you check-in for the ferry / train ( at least an hour earlier ie. 10.00am ) and as it must have been treated by the vet at least 24 hours before ( and the vet. is unlikely to accept an appointment before 9.00am on the previous day ), that's about the best you can do. For the same reason, a return journey on a Monday can be problematic unless you can see the vet. late on Saturday morning.

If you prefer an earlier channel crossing, there is a second option. Arrange the treatment in the late afternoon at a convenient town on you return route ( within say 250 miles of Calais ). Then, by the time you reach Guines, 24 hours will have elapsed so there will then be a further 24 hours to catch the ferry or train.

Hope this helps,

Olly.

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
Dear Tanya

We have stayed at Guines for the past 3 years and have used the following vet in Calais.As far as I am aware, she is the nearest to Guines, located west of Calais and very easy to find and you can park outside. We have always booked but we have been there when others have come on spec.The first time we went the offials at the tunnel remarked how well she had completed the passport etc

Christianne Petry, 1148 bd General de Gaulle, 62100 Calais

Tel: 0321347739

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, it doesnt look as if I will be taking our dog this year, as we were hoping to go this July, I have left it a bit late, as I understand if I got the ball rolling today, the dog wouldnt be allowed back in the UK when we were coming back in August, many thanks again, Tanya.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts