Dogs on public transport in Germany

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We plan to visit Trier as part of a forthcoming tour and rather than using the car to go into the center we’d prefer to use bus or train. I’ve not been able to find any info on whether dogs have to be muzzled on public transport. Any advice would be welcomed.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I haven't used the public transport in Germany, with our dogs , but Never leave them in the car on their own. Even in a shopping Mall. You could come back to a smashed window, as it is illegal. They are welcomed into most shops except food supermarkets. We have never noticed dogs with muzzles either. Italy requires muzzles on public transport but nobody bothers.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Only a suggestion, we tend to go into town and get out and about on our cycles, we then just take the dog with us. Lock the bike and trailer up, walk around ,have a drink / meal in a bar and have found them the be most dog friendly. Back in Germany again this year for 14 nights.

36012110192_2c10a89d37_c.jpg

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks but we have two dogs and like walking around the centres of the older towns. One key highlight this year being the ancient Roman remains in Trier.
We’ve previously been to Germany and as in most other European countries dogs are welcomed along with tourists. But this year rather than drive into the center we thought public transport could be a good option providing dogs can be taken on it. Which from an earlier post it seems that that can. Ours aren’t banned breeds. But on reflection should be!

Edit PS doesn’t look as if Trier has LEZ lots of central Car parks and three P&R too. Guess being Germany the Car parking spaces should be less tight than UK

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I emailed the Trier Tourist information and received a reply by return to some of my questions. They then gave me a link to the regional transport system that even covers parts of Luxembourg. They too replied very quickly. Dogs, except banned breeds, can be taken on the Trier buses/trams/trains and Park and Ride. Single P&P fares are 1.8 Euro for a dog and 2.0 Euro per person. Dogs do not have to be muzzled unless the owner feels the need to muzzle it. How refreshing to put something down to personal responsibility.

Hoomer

BANNED
Jun 11, 2018
Visit site
Make sure you have public liability insurance like all Germans have. If someone steps on the dogs paw and it takes a ***, your fault and the Germans are very litigious.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
I emailed the Trier Tourist information and received a reply by return to some of my questions. They then gave me a link to the regional transport system that even covers parts of Luxembourg. They too replied very quickly. Dogs, except banned breeds, can be taken on the Trier buses/trams/trains and Park and Ride. Single P&P fares are 1.8 Euro for a dog and 2.0 Euro per person. Dogs do not have to be muzzled unless the owner feels the need to muzzle it. How refreshing to put something down to personal responsibility.

For a period of time I worked in a hospital with an A&E dept. We saw many ugly sites mainly from road incidents, but one of the most upsetting was a 5 year old child who had been attacked by a dog in the local park. What we heard was the dog was being walked by its owner, who let it off its lead, and it ran off and ran up to the child who was only feet away from its mother and savaged her arm and the side of her face, with no apparent provocation. The courts condemned the dog, and the owner was fined and banned from keeping a dog. The little girl survived, but she must have had some quite bad scaring on her face and arm.

Clearly the dog owners sense of personal responsibility was not up to scratch.

I'm not anti dogs, but as with everything in life, dog ownership brings additional responsibilities to its owner, and whilst most owners are sensible, there are a few who are either ignorant, or deliberately abuse the privalidge.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
otherclive said:

For a period of time I worked in a hospital with an A&E dept. We saw many ugly sites mainly from road incidents, but one of the most upsetting was a 5 year old child who had been attacked by a dog in the local park. What we heard was the dog was being walked by its owner, who let it off its lead, and it ran off and ran up to the child who was only feet away from its mother and savaged her arm and the side of her face, with no apparent provocation. The courts condemned the dog, and the owner was fined and banned from keeping a dog. The little girl survived, but she must have had some quite bad scaring on her face and arm.

Clearly the dog owners sense of personal responsibility was not up to scratch.

I'm not anti dogs, but as with everything in life, dog ownership brings additional responsibilities to its owner, and whilst most owners are sensible, there are a few who are either ignorant, or deliberately abuse the privalidge.

We didn’t get to Trier as my father took I’ll days before the trip. Since then the van has languished on the drive. Wet weekend here in Leicester but think the Richard 3 center looks interesting followed by a genuine curry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts