Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lots of people take dogs caravanning and camping what do they do with the dogs when they want to go somewhere where they are unable to take a dog. I would love another dog but would like to visit some of the stately homes that so many times we have past and have never seen because dogs are not allowed. I have lost my dog now but he always went with us wherever we went but this restricted us rather a lot and now I am torn.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well Margaret, we have two dogs and have been caravanning with them for over 15 years. Never found them a problem, in fact can't imagine them not being there. Take them everywhere. They are very good and will stay happily in the car for several hours should we wish to visit somewhere without them.We make sure to give them a good run first, if possible. We know several farm CL's where we don't have to tie them up - not that they go far from the caravan anyway. Don't think about getting a dog - get two - they keep each other company!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Margraet we take our lab with us every caravaning hoiliday from being a puppy we have trained he to sleep in a cage, so when we go shoping or out for the day we put him in the folding cage, up to now we have had now problems, he even go's in there through the day on his own accord and lair's down. but all depends on the type of dog you have.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are in just the same position. Our beloved spaniel died just over a year ago, and although we miss him, we have not replaced him for just the reasons you mention. We never felt it was safe to leave him in a parked car for more than a few minutes, so lots of things we would like to have done on our trips away became impossible: as you say, visits to stately homes, etc., but also, of course, visits to the cinema or theatre and even meals out had to be thought about with care. He always loved being in the car, but the dangers of leaving him there were too great. Maybe one day we shall have another dog, but for now we are still enjoying some of the greater freedom - and there are always other dogs around on campsites for us to enjoy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Margaret,

Most sites will know of a suitable day-kennels near to their site. Failing that, the local vet should be able to tell you where you can leave your pet in safe hands for the day.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trust me its better without them!!we gave our 4 year old lab away last year, she was becoming selfish in her own manner, to the point were we daren't leave her on her own for the sulking that followed... as for leaving dogs in cages well how would you like to be kept in a sweltering heated awning/car? Enjoy the freedom we are ;and even have had a baby since so the freedom is much more appreciated- A DOG.. NEVER AGAIN

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we have 2 dogs and they go caravanning with us. We NEVER leave them in the car for more than 20mins and thats just so we can go in the supermarket to get supplies and if its too hot then 1 of us stays with them. Remember cars get very hot very quickly even on a cold day. As for missing out on stuff we dont have much choice if the dogs are not allowed so we plan our holiday to suit our needs booking in kennels before we go so if theres something we want to do then the dogs are well looked after in day kennels. A lot of sites wont let your dog stay in the van alone so they come to the pub with us and we sit outside weather permitting and they get lots of fuss of other people. Really its their holiday when they come with us lol.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having recently lost a dog to an unfortunate accident whilst away in the van, please, if you do get another (or 2) do not follow the lead of the pratt below, and lock them, and i quote " in the car for several hours".

People like that shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of a toothbrush.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've also just lost our beloved 6 year old dog, Charlie. Quite unexpectadly. He came everywhere with us and had just had his rabies shots so he could come to France with us again this year. He loved being on site and just sat at the door watching the comings and goings. I'm not quite sure what he made of it all but we like to think it was his Coronation Street.

I never missed things because of him, we just planned our holiday around both our needs and if he couldn't go, neither did we. I am dreading our first trip away without him and the thought of going on a country ramble fills me with horror. I am not at the point where I could consider another dog but I do hope that one day I will be able to share my life with another dog as special as Charlie was. If your ready go for it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi we take our dog with us and if we want to go somewere she can't come she's happy to stay home in the van same as she would at home.but not that we do it often try and arrange with her in mind aswell all the best pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have some people nothing better to do than leave some of their crass comments here. Yes, your dog does restrict you a little, but as for stately homes we go and see them on poor weather days. Our dog stays in the car with the windows open enough to keep cool. We alawys make sure the car is in the shade. Also if you have a sunroof, cover it if you have one as the car can get hot even on dull days. Or, if your site is near the place you wish to visit, leave your dog in the van with adequate ventilation. If its hot we leave her only for short periods....no more than 2 hours...however if you have an omnivent they act like air conditioners and will keep your van cool. Get your dog or dogs and enjoy them. They are mans best friend contrary to what some think here

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have some people nothing better to do than leave some of their crass comments here. Yes, your dog does restrict you a little, but as for stately homes we go and see them on poor weather days. Our dog stays in the car with the windows open enough to keep cool. We alawys make sure the car is in the shade. Also if you have a sunroof, cover it if you have one as the car can get hot even on dull days. Or, if your site is near the place you wish to visit, leave your dog in the van with adequate ventilation. If its hot we leave her only for short periods....no more than 2 hours...however if you have an omnivent they act like air conditioners and will keep your van cool. Get your dog or dogs and enjoy them. They are mans best friend contrary to what some think here
long time ago we bought a dog guard which fits across the back of our estate car.It has built in locks so that we can leave the tailgate open, but the car (and dog) is still secure. These guards are are model-specific so you need to change the guard when you change the car. I think it was made by M&G guards of Holbeach, lincs. We've had ours in three different Range Rovers over the last ten years with no problems.Go get a dog, you'll regret it if you don't. Emmerson

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We take out two Labradors everywhere with us, they love caravanning. They will wait at the gate just to make sure we are packing their food etc. We have to stop them from racing into the caravan to claim their spot.

We go to all the places we want to and will leave them in the car in a shady spot for a couple of hours,with the windows and the sun roof open, equally I'm quite happy to sit with them on the back of our estate car making sure they enjoy their break too.

We ahve left them in the caravan too, which is where they are happiest, but we get comment from none dog owners about both leaving dogs in cars or caravans.

I investigated how our dogs behaved by asking a friend to keep their eye on them and so that is how I know what they like best.

Rogers point about the c**p is valid, but that is down us as dog owners to clean up after the event. I do everytime even if it makes me feel sick myself, which it does. But that is part of owning a dog. (one that walks and gives you unconditional love rather than wheels that need oiling)

We have just come back from a holiday in North Wales where between us there were three dogs. But guess what, someone else's dog decided to leave a deposit outside our awning. Pity I could not find the owner or the culprit, as in the past I have made irresposible owners clean their mess up.

Our dogs are real people persons and enjoy meeting people and donig fun things like swimming in the river/sea, digging in the sand just like kids do. So why shouldn't they have holidays too, instead of solitary confinement in a boarding kennel!!

I have a moto. Heve dog will travel.

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
well we have five dogs. Two Scotties One Westie One Beardie Collie and One Beardie Collie gone wrong.

when we travel abroad the dogs are looked after by their granny.

holidaying in the uk three of them come the holiday and our holiday is taliored to suit the dogs.

Our dogs are left in the 4x4 but never in hot weather if we are visiting any place.

The way I look at it dogs are for 365 days a year how many of those days are spent visiting stately homes.

Enjoy your life get a dog or two.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
well we have five dogs. Two Scotties One Westie One Beardie Collie and One Beardie Collie gone wrong.

when we travel abroad the dogs are looked after by their granny.

holidaying in the uk three of them come the holiday and our holiday is taliored to suit the dogs.

Our dogs are left in the 4x4 but never in hot weather if we are visiting any place.

The way I look at it dogs are for 365 days a year how many of those days are spent visiting stately homes.

Enjoy your life get a dog or two.
we have 3 dogs but NEVER take all 3 away in the van , 1 at the most but prefer none at all. cant do with the hassle to be honest while away in the van.

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
We used to take out Springer caming with us, until I recently bought a Elddis caravan second-hand. People mocked and commented we were 25 going on 55, but we love it! Jasper especially.

We just make sure dogs are always welcome wherever we go - If not, they don't get our money! I donlt feel we miss out, becasue going somewhere with Jasper is farf better than goingin somewhere without him.

I have left him in the back of the car. but, I have a Freelander, so the window at the back can be wound down, and the side windows can be opened, so he ALWAYS has plenty of ventilation, and we never leave him for long.

We've only had two trips oin the caravan so far - pi**ed it down both times so we stayed mostly indoors. He found himself a spot, laid down and slept. When he was awake he stuck his head out of the window and watched everything that moved.

The fact that he enjoys it means we love it so much more!

Caravanning with a dog? It's the mutt's nuts :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have 4 whippets that go with us and our 2 kids. I'd hate my dogs or my kids to affect others enjoyment. We clear up after them, don't exercise them where children play and have a 4x4 with a split rear tailgate that is left open (dogs locked in cage if its hot) My advice is if your not sure don't get one, if you want one then do

May 2, 2005
Visit site
What a completely ridiculous reply, do you not have anything better to do with your time?
Roger....I hope I never have the mis-fortune to meet you on any site I visit. Your reply is at best ridiculous and at worst pathetic....What a sad person you are........

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's nice too see someone on this forum has a sense of humour - nice one Roger. Oh, and before anyone has a go and slags me off for having an opinion that differs from their own please consider that we still live in a country with freedom of speech (just). Of all the forums that I view this one has to be the most useful but some contributors intolerance of other peoples opinions always surprises me.Chill out!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi alan

wished we could keep the kids in the car for several hours while we went visiting,i thought you all treat your dogs as family,you would never do this to your kids would you,same as people taking them on site and leaving them for hours,i dont say you all do that, but it gets you all a bad name

May 10, 2005
Visit site
I read your message re having two dogs and caravanning for 15 years. We are newly retired and thinking about caravanning, but are a bit concerned about our dogs. We have three ranging from an older springer spaniel, to a younger lab mix and an even younger poodle mix. They are all good barkers, though, and would bark at any noise. We are concerned that they would disrupt our holiday and everyone elses holiday. Obviously children playing would be a problem. Are there many campsites that accept three dogs and are there any that are better for dogs than others. Would appreciate your advice. I don't want to buy a caravan and find out it is a complete disaster.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts