May 20, 2005
Visit site
I know this is a hot topic between members of the forum, I offer up to you my experiance over the last month for your comments good or bad.

I have had dogs all my life and at the ripe old age of 51 give you my feelings. The last 2 dogs were Lady and Carla the former lived to be 18 and was a lively and well loved dog by every one who met her the latter Carla was more independent a lovely looking dog but with a mind of her own, both dogs were well behaved when on site.

This June we went to the THS at Brixham the first week was very hot which meant we stayed at the caravan as it was not right to leave her in the van whilst we went out, we had a good time none the less, sunbathing,drinking and barbequeing around the van but at the time we did think it a bind and commented that should enything happen to Carla we would not have an other dog.

We followed this trip with others the dog always part of the activities, at the end of August we where at Benllech Bay whilst Taking a walk with Carla she became Ill, on returning home we took her to the Vet only to find that she had Liver Cancer and was very ill. We had to take the Horrendous decision to put her to sleep which broke our hearts.

As I said we decided that we would not have an other dog and to take our minds off the situation we went a way in the Carravan but it was not the same in fact it was awful we tried a further trip and it was no different. Caravaning with out a dog was horrible we had the freedom but not the joy of a walk with a bog.

Needless to say last week we visited the Kennels and now have a Bearded Collie called Rosie our lives have been transformed once again, she is hard work trying to train her but we are getting there and can not wait for the last of her injections to be done so we can take her out in the caravan.

None dog lovers may say we have a sad live, we can not live without a dog and logic says they may be right but our hearts are renewed and our joy is boundless. Yes it will mean we have restrictions but we also have the joy of introducing her to a live of caravanning.

Paul sad is the last thing you are. Dogs give more back than some realise. We`re just going to order our first caravan so we can have a holiday and take our dogs. Dogs left at home all day or in kennels when people go away aren`t happy at all. We`re getting a caravan so they can come with us. Restricted as to where we go? So what! You`re restricted with kids but who puts their kids in a cage when they want to go away. Go for it and enjoy ;)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I agree whole heartedly. Dogs have a wonderful part to play with us humans.

I do a very stressful job and when I get home I can be in a right mood, but a couple of minits with our two Labradors and their unconditional lovely greeting and I've relaxed and de-stressed alredy.

Our youngest dog (a chocolate Lab)is 20 months old and when we bought him he was a cuddly 5Kg pup. Now he is 40Kgs plus and a pony. He has been trained by us and will sit and wait while food is put down and we can ask him to drop a bone he is chewing and let us pick it up.

He does all of that because he knows we love him and he will get it back. Sure we have to fit life around their needs a little but time spent with them is cheap considering the affection and happyness they give us.

Our other lab has had two major operations to remove mass cell tumors costing us several hundred pounds totreat, but she is still the apple of our eye even if she looks like she has a shark bite on her belly. The scar is huge but she was lovingly cared for by us and her best friend. Now they play together and I'm sur ethe younger dog has put a second breath of youth into our older *****.

Dogs trained right and treated with respect are an absolute joy to be with.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Paul I take my hat off to you. We went 5 years before we could take on another animal. The decisions us humans have to make are always so difficult as the pets (either dog, cat, hamster, etc.) become part of the family whether we like it or not.

We always had BIG dogs, German Sheppard from 8 months, and then Bella, a Belgian Shepperd Dog (who I might say gaffered The GS!!!) from a rescue centre, aged approx 18-2 years old! Both were great companions but when it was time to let them go it was soul destroying. We went 5 years without having another dog, although we were at a total loss.

Then Maisie came along. Five months old and a bundle of fun. Never spent a day indoors in her whole life. It took us 24 hours to get her clean and dry - cement was no different to her than a carpet!!! However, she has grown into a wonderful little companion. Although she is small (Cairn Terrier) she is a BIG dog in a little body. She is delightful to take vanning and loves everything, whether on two legs or four. To my knowledge she had not met children before we took her on - BUT she is FANTASTIC WITH THEM. Not a bda bone in her body.

The only thing she doesn't like is being shouted at. She slinks away and looks so unhappy.

Yes, a dog is for life and usually in the end it is devastating to the owners. But we love them all in the end.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
Thank you all for the positive comments sorry for the delay in replying(thats another thing that has changed since she arrived less time spent on the computer)

A short progress report as she turns 10 weeks old, she knows her name and comes when called she sits and nearly shakes a paw, she has gone 6 days with out fouling in the house she will sit whilst your getting her food ready.

We need to work on her fetching a ball, at the moment you throw the ball and say fetch she looks at you as if to say "you threw it you fetch it"

we are suffering from prison fever not being able to take her out and have another 3 weeks left before parole is granted, then we can take her out in the caravan for the first time.

Thankfully she has not chewed any thing other than her toys yet, so fingers crossed lets hope she does not take a likeing to caravan interiors.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi we know what you where going through we also had our king charles toby put to sleep last week he would have been 12 next mounth he had been on medication for fits and heart tablets and these last few mounths water tablets as well he was such joy and gave a lot of love we will miss him loads we have been in the caravan this week like you say you have the freedom but you miss them very much

we have decided not to have another dog we also like holidays abroad and it is not fair when you have to put them in kennels he use to come with us every time in the caravan and last week it was a very sad time

we have to fetch is ashes from the vet tomorrow and we are putting him in is favourite place in the garden wish you welll with your new dog

May 20, 2005
Visit site
hi we know what you where going through we also had our king charles toby put to sleep last week he would have been 12 next mounth he had been on medication for fits and heart tablets and these last few mounths water tablets as well he was such joy and gave a lot of love we will miss him loads we have been in the caravan this week like you say you have the freedom but you miss them very much

we have decided not to have another dog we also like holidays abroad and it is not fair when you have to put them in kennels he use to come with us every time in the caravan and last week it was a very sad time

we have to fetch is ashes from the vet tomorrow and we are putting him in is favourite place in the garden wish you welll with your new dog
Sorry to hear your sad news, I wish you well in your decision not to have another dog and that your resolve is stronger than ours. It may help if I remind you of what we forgot about having a puppy, Sleepless nights (standing outside in dressing gown at 3.30 AM) chewed hands, Saying Good girl repeatedly but not as often as "NO" ratio of 100 NOs to 1 good girl.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
I hope all the anti dog brigade are following this thread,it may make them realise just how much owning a dog means to people instead of dismissing them out of hand as "just animals"

Jun 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul, and all dog lovers

Having always owned Pedigree dogs, we obtained our last dog by finding her in a large jiffy bag thrown in a bramble bush. We were away touring at the time, and going for one of our mega walks with our Sheltie Dog (Sam). In fact it was Sam that hunted down the distressed puppy.

We cut ourselves to bits digging her out of the brambles, and took her to a local vet, who confirmed she had been abused.

We decided to keep her, although a rebel at first, she has become the most loving, caring, fun dog we have every owned. This may sound mad, but its like she knows we saved her life, and gives us so much back.

I could not imagine going on holiday without her, she makes our holiday, and we actually bought a bigger van to accommodate her growing.

Yes we have children and yes we are responsible dog owners, and to those people who have no time for children or animals, I feel sorry for them.

I very rarely reply to a post, but felt so moved by some of the replies, wanted to share our story. By the way we called her Becky, because when we found her, she was surrounded by a load of bottle of Becks Lager, that says it all really.

Jun 6, 2005
Visit site

Having always owned Pedigree dogs, we obtained our last dog by finding her in a large jiffy bag thrown in a bramble bush. We were away touring at the time, and going for one of our mega walks with our Sheltie Dog (Sam). In fact it was Sam that hunted down the distressed puppy.

We cut ourselves to bits digging her out of the brambles, and took her to a local vet, who confirmed she had been abused.

We decided to keep her, although a rebel at first, she has become the most loving, caring, fun dog we have every owned. This may sound mad, but its like she knows we saved her life, and gives us so much back.

I could not imagine going on holiday without her, she makes our holiday, and we actually bought a bigger van to accommodate her growing.

Yes we have children and yes we are responsible dog owners, and to those people who have no time for children or animals, I feel sorry for them.

I very rarely reply to a post, but felt so moved by some of the replies, wanted to share our story. By the way we called her Becky, because when we found her, she was surrounded by a load of bottle of Becks Lager, that says it all really.

Aug 27, 2005
Visit site

hi Sue,

sorry to hear of your loss :(

I have been looking out for you on this forum. Im Jane, Kath's niece. Remember me?

Jane

x

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Pleased to hear the dog as found a loving home Tracy and may I add to some of my previous posts on this subject - dogs show more love than the Roger's of this world and are far more trusting and loyal.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
both of my dogs are lay at the side of me as i use the pc they will not leave my side such is the devotion they show, when i return from work they almost fall over as they wag theire tails so violantly, you can almost see the pleasure in theire eyes as they wait to greet me at the door. no other living thing will show such devotion to a human being, i'm very lucky to have the life i live, i have a healthy and loving family and our dogs make our home complete, i can not imagine life without them.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
My dog is also sitting beside me while I'm on the PC. I read the posts out to him first to see what he thinks!!

We are having a week away next week so I should really be getting the van ready, trouble is as soon as I go into the garden to open the van door he's in there supervising the arrangements! Woe betide should I forget the Kitkats!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
both of my dogs are lay at the side of me as i use the pc they will not leave my side such is the devotion they show, when i return from work they almost fall over as they wag theire tails so violantly, you can almost see the pleasure in theire eyes as they wait to greet me at the door. no other living thing will show such devotion to a human being, i'm very lucky to have the life i live, i have a healthy and loving family and our dogs make our home complete, i can not imagine life without them.
Hear Hear Icemaker.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Great comments. We only bought a caravan because we had a dog and wanted to spend more time away with her. We were unable to have children so she (and her predecessors) have been substitute children (and are generally better behaved that most of todays children). Dog haters are very much in the minority but seem to make the most noise.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Isn't that the same with ALL minorities Paul and its usually they who have their own way because they are passionate about their cause and have no other interests in life to spend time on except complaining. If they had nothing else to protest/demonstrate against / or whinge about they would protest about protesters.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi Sue,

sorry to hear of your loss :(

I have been looking out for you on this forum. Im Jane, Kath's niece. Remember me?

Jane

x
hi jane yes i remember you thanks for the reply do you caravan as you look on this web site i will tell kath you replied they are in scotland at the moment she is realy enjoying it up there

thanks again from sue

May 20, 2005
Visit site

What a lovely story with a good outcome, it reminds me of how we got Carla. My friend from childhood Allan was a fireman who whilst on duty saw a car pull up to the fire station and throw her out of the car and drive off, he informed the Police and looked after her for a couple of days he already had 2 Labradors I called round to see him and fell in love with her. I brought her home to introduce her to our dog Lady who was 12 and both dogs hit it of straight away.

The vet estimated she was 6 months old, as she had been abandoned from a car we called her Carla (if she had been male Carlos).

She used to love Allan coming round unfortunatly he died sudenly of an heart attack aged 47 we used to call him her saviour, One of the first things we did after we put her to sleep was to visit his grave and imagine them back together (stupid I know but it made the loss easier)

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I find dog owners are invariably great people - I feel incomplete without a dog in the house and although their passing is a wrench the memories live on. Tried living without after our Spaniel went but Arthur our GS "came along" and life is good again. Funny he sits by the PC too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I beleive that dogs and other pets are in many ways peoples best friends. However I must take issue with the fact that whilst you all have outlined the pleasure they give and the " party tricks" they can do, that they can cause serious health problems when treading in there feaces and urine. You would have many more animal lovers if this problem was seriously addressed.

Local authorities have now the powers to prosecute offenders who let their animals pollute public areas and I cannot understand why pet owners cannot train there pets to use pet toilets and if they did I would support and lobby for them to be provided as against having to sustain my children coming in from play covered in dog sxxt

IMHO

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Shiraz we all realise the problem and its been discussed before about bad dog owners in this forum but what is the answer. As I have said before do you shoot the dogs or maybe the bad owners. Lets not stop there, lets shoot bad parents and their unruly kids who run amok and have no respect for other people or their property. Sighhhhh, it would be nice if it was a perfect world but it isn't, never has been or never will be. I have 3 dogs as Ive posted before and theres nothing to get me going more than the subject of dog crap. Ive spoken out many times about it and had letters published in the local press but I'm a realist, I know there are idle bastards who wont clean up after and its them who should have their noses rubbed in their own pets mess.

May 20, 2005
Visit site
This comes down once again to responsable dog owners cleaning up after their dogs and in addition treating them on a regular basis to remove the threat of passing on dangerous parisites. We have already started with rosie and she will be treated as per the Vets instructions for the rest of her live so she can not pass on these parisites that can harm humans.In fact some of these diseses that the dogs pick up are from the urine of rats which humans can also pick up from the rat without going through the dog, I dont know how you will stop that happening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts