Dometic 8400 Fridge.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
As usual, we have landed and setup and run into issues. This time we find half the meat in the freezer compartment is defrosting.

We ran the fridge empty for 48 hours to cool it down. The food going into the freezer compartment had been home frozen for over a week and was well frozen.

The fridge was working on the way down according to the led panel and all the food in the fridge part is fine. In the freezer about half the food is frozen solid but the rest is defrosting. I have checked the compartment is seated properly and door is closing properly. And we havent got the awning up so the vents are clear to the air.

Any thoughts guys. My only idea is that madam has overfilled it and stifled air circulation inside the freezer compt.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
If the fridge is working gfne then I would go for what you say to much in the freezer circulation problem, we had this with one of our freezers at home to many T bones in the freezer,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have had our Dometic, small fridge full to the gunnels the frezzer as well all the way to France, without a problem. , Lets hope you get it sorted out, Flash up the BBQ,

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
How hot is it where you are not being funny but when we were away at Easter ours wasn't cooling very well and when I made a phone call to the service dpt' where we got the van from she says the intense heat at the time would stop it from cooling , they only work up to a certain temperature ?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
It was about 20 outside and a light breeze. Inside temp when we got back was around 28.

This is the first trip we have had in warmish weather.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
I think it’s important to remember that the recommended temperature of a domestic freezer is -18 degrees Celsius and that of a domestic fridge is +5 degrees Celsius (A delta of 23 degrees !)

Now, the only thing separating your caravans freezer compartment from the main refrigerated area is a small piece of uninsulated plastic, it’s maybe better to take the term “freezer’ with a pinch of salt thingy ...

From experience with the same model of refrigerator, my translation would be ...

“Additional compartment at the top of the fridge where you can place things which you would prefer to stay cooler than those placed elsewhere.” :p

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah i get that but its not as if we are new to it. The routine is same as always and same foodstuffs as we always take, burgers, sausage, bacon and chicken fillets. We havent had this issue before so something has gone west. Only diff is freezer comp fuller than normal.
Have chucked all the soft stuff. Will see if the rest is still frozen tomorrow. Have also afded ice tray to see if that freezes.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thingy said:
Yeah i get that but its not as if we are new to it. The routine is same as always and same foodstuffs as we always take, burgers, sausage, bacon and chicken fillets. We havent had this issue before so something has gone west. Only diff is freezer comp fuller than normal.
Have chucked all the soft stuff. Will see if the rest is still frozen tomorrow. Have also afded ice tray to see if that freezes.

As mentioned before, Flash up the BBQ and ask folk to join you, Where are you pitched up again.
Thingy , hope it's not going txt's up. Why not try it on gas maybe the 230 volt element is giving up.

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
Has it got a thermistor clipped to a finned panel under the freezer?

They are prone to failure but you could try moving it around. If it's on the end fin, put it a few more in towards the middle.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thingy said:
Surely of the 230v was the issue the fridge wouldnt be cold?

Just thinking maybe the element is "starting "to break down, Tourer teds idea is worth looking at, maybe knoked it off a fin when loading, not sure if mine has one,
Note to self, check on that. Thanks TT.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Strange. Having chucked away the burgers and sausage, everything else stayed frozen. I also put the ice tray in as a telltale and that froze. Left one burger for same reason and that defrosted.
To say i am baffled would be an understatement.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Firstly the temperature the fridge should get to is set and not relative to outside temperature. We set ours on 3 out of 5 and found it keeps food frozen and will freeze food. Freezing is by contact and also by air moving around so some space is needed. Does it work better on gas?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
TBH, I havent run it on gas yet. I have tried it to see that it does work but havent run it on gas for more than a minute.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
waffler said:
Firstly the temperature the fridge should get to is set and not relative to outside temperature. We set ours on 3 out of 5 and found it keeps food frozen and will freeze food. Freezing is by contact and also by air moving around so some space is needed. Does it work better on gas?

In principle what Wafler has written is correct, but there are some caveats to it. Firstly the effectiveness of the absorption refrigeration cycle is dependant on the ambient temperature or more specifically how much heat the condenser coil can shift into the ambient air. If the ambient rises above about 25C (according to Dometic's instruction manual) the fridge may struggle to cool the inside. That when additional fans can be used to increase the air flow over the condenser coil.

However according to Thingy's posts its only got to about 20C ambient.

One other thing that can adversely affect what in all other respects is a functioning fridge, is if the fridge is more than a couple of degrees of horizontal. The refrigerant circuit does rely on gravity, and if the fridge is not set up properly it can cause all sorts of slightly strange effects. ultimately a fridge may stop working.

Another effect can be caused if the caravan has been towed over rough ground, which shakes up the refrigerant, and it may not fully settle in the right part of the cycle impairing its function. It may be necessary to turn the fridge off and let it fully defrost naturally for a few hours, and then to try it again.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
On our previous van I fitted a small fan behind the fridge to aid cooling in hot weather. Our last trip to France we saw 35 deg C and the fridge coped reasonably well. Probably better than we did. The dogs spent most of the day under the caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts