Dometic fridge driving us insane!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ours is the tall RM8551 series tall fridge. To stop it beeping, we need to give the door a hard press. It then stops for about 5-10minutes and then the beeping starts again. Another hard shove and it stops. Googling most posts seem to refer to continuous beeping, but a good shove stops the beeping. No error code showing.

Getting very fed up with the constant beeping so all advice is appreciated, Thanks.

May 30, 2024
Visit site
I had a look at the manual....., and that seems consistent with the interior light switch contact not breaking when the door is closed.

It seems like quite a big fridge. You could maybe get inside and ask your wife to close the door whilst you check to see whether the light goes off?:unsure::unsure:;)

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a look at the manual....., and that seems consistent with the interior light switch contact not breaking when the door is closed.

It seems like quite a big fridge. You could maybe get inside and ask your wife to close the door whilst you check to see whether the light goes off?:unsure::unsure:;)
I don't think so, Buckman is a big chap

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I did read on face book groups about issues with door catches causing the beeping and solutions ranging from cleaning to realigning. I wil see if I can find some posts.
Mel

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Found this from a FB group:

We had the same and it was moisture on the door catch. A quick spray of WD40 on the latch with one of the straw cans and we have not had a problem since. That was 2 years ago.

and this

It may be the fridge door switch, there’s a magnetic switch at the top of the door which don’t always make contact, especially if you have a lot of weight in the fridge door compartments.
We had the same on our 2022 Bailey/ Dometic fridge.

May not help but worth a thought. Good luck
Mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Found this from a FB group:

We had the same and it was moisture on the door catch. A quick spray of WD40 on the latch with one of the straw cans and we have not had a problem since. That was 2 years ago.

and this

It may be the fridge door switch, there’s a magnetic switch at the top of the door which don’t always make contact, especially if you have a lot of weight in the fridge door compartments.
We had the same on our 2022 Bailey/ Dometic fridge.

May not help but worth a thought. Good luck
Mel
Buckman will not like having to use WD40, so perhaps GT85 water dispersant with PTFE might be another option.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site

Put Ph inside while on video record.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks to the very few who did actually offer helpful answers to my query about a 6 year old fridge that is over 6 years old.

For those sarcastic remarks about CRA 2015 etc at least I have helped people and probably saved them a fortune. It seems that I am not welcome on this forum any more?

The solution to my issue was to remove the perspex cover and move the unit forward. No more beeping.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to the very few who did actually offer helpful answers to my query about a 6 year old fridge that is over 6 years old.
May I remind you of what you posted
Ours is the tall RM8551 series tall fridge. To stop it beeping, we need to give the door a hard press. It then stops for about 5-10minutes and then the beeping starts again. Another hard shove and it stops. Googling most posts seem to refer to continuous beeping, but a good shove stops the beeping. No error code showing.

Getting very fed up with the constant beeping so all advice is appreciated, Thanks.
Firstly you made no mention of the age of the Fridge or the caravan in any of the thread posts before #13 . So how are we to know the age of the products your having a problem with? And I do not keep records of which 'make' and 'model' or and how old any caravan is that a poster has.

And secondly you wrote "all advice is appreciated,". which you were given.

You have only received what you asked for.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
May I remind you of what you posted

Firstly you made no mention of the age of the Fridge or the caravan in any of the thread posts before #13 . So how are we to know the age of the products your having a problem with? And I do not keep records of which 'make' and 'model' or and how old any caravan is that a poster has.

And secondly you wrote "all advice is appreciated,". which you were given.

You have only received what you asked for.
I gave the model number which gives the age of the fridge and you are aware that our caravan is not new. Actually my post was not a reply to your post as I took no notice of your post as it was totally immaterial as you are aware that our caravan is well out of warranty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I gave the model number which gives the age of the fridge and you are aware that our caravan is not new.
Having now checked the Dometic Website, I see the model is listed as discontinued but it does not define its dates of availability, It might have been discontinued only yesterday.

Plus it is still listed as available for collection only from Oleary Motorhomes, so the model number does not define its age, or its warrantable status.

As I pointed out I do not keep a database of forum members and their caravans age, and for all any of us might know you could have recently changed your caravan.

As we often have to point out to new posters it's really helpful for all relevant information to be included in an OP to allow better focused responses.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your reply to my post;

If its under warranty, contact your supplier.
What was the point of that irrelevant and unhelpful post ? Even another poster found it to be hilarious! You are well aware that I have some years experience of using a caravan and that I am well aware of when I can claim and when I cannot.

As I resolved the issue,maybe a mod should lock the thread.?

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Saw this on another forum someone rang Dometic given the following solution The problem lies with the wires and plug into the rear of the lamp unit becoming coated with condensation which somehows activates the warning system -30 beeps for 20 seconds repeating every 2min 40sec.
The cure is to pull off the plastic cover over the lamp unit , dry the wires and plug ,and all is well until the next time .

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Saw this on another forum someone rang Dometic given the following solution The problem lies with the wires and plug into the rear of the lamp unit becoming coated with condensation which somehows activates the warning system -30 beeps for 20 seconds repeating every 2min 40sec.
The cure is to pull off the plastic cover over the lamp unit , dry the wires and plug ,and all is well until the next time .
A useful tip although it’s not t as if caravan fridges are a new invention. Let the owner do the development eh?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We had this issue when our caravan was 3 years old - the AWS workshop fixed it by drying out under warranty and it hasn't been an issue in the last 8 years.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We had this issue when our caravan was 3 years old - the AWS workshop fixed it by drying out under warranty and it hasn't been an issue in the last 8 years.
I only put it on to help Buckman with his fridge so it looks like the drying out worked .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A very handy tip and thanks for the input. In our case it appears that the box had moved back ever so slightly so banging the fridge shut initially it would be enough to stop the beeping as the rubber around the side was contracted.

The biggest hurdle was removing the perspex cover to access the box as I did not want to break it however came close to borrowing a crowbar. LOL! Once I had done this I loosened the screws and moved the box forward as much as possible and tightened the screws. Beeping stopped.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This post raises a very important issue for me. Why I joined the Forum ??

When on holiday in the Highlands 500 miles from my Dealer I need Forumites advice for a hands on diy fix. And yes you guys have never failed me or others so far. Being referred to the Dealer will not help me.

This is Practical Caravan , a magazine for the caravan owner who wants to fix as much as he / she can especially when “on the road”.😎

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts