Dometic Fridge/Freezer Problem

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
The fridge freezer in my Cartegena 3 has stopped freezing. In fact, it doesn't seem to be cooling at all. I've tried it using gas and electric, checked the fuses and disconnected it so it resets. All the internal lights and control panel work and the unit isn't overfull with food. I've tried partially covering the vents outside but nothing seems to work. As I live in France it's not easy to take the'van to a dealer.

Has anyone got any suggestions, before I contact Dometic direct?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul
Is yours the RMD 8505 series 8 model.
I assume you have gone through the various steps in the trouble shooting section?
Gas
Have you ever used it on gas before?
Stupid point but the isolator gas tap is on as is the mains gas?
Have you gone through the two 25 second routine to light the burner?
Are you sure it is not alight? Carefully feel the flue on the outside. Cold or warm?

Mains Electricity
Are you certain power is reaching the unit? It probably is if the display panel is working. Again I assume you have followed the instructions on start up to the letter.
This is very new and it seems crazy that neither power source is working. Are you selecting choice of power manually or in auto mode? Maybe switching between the two will help.
Otherwise it sounds to me the master PCB has failed.
Do any fault codes appear in the display?

Sorry mate not much help but I guess a call to Dometic tomorrow may help. Don't Dometic have their own engineers in France?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi both,

The fridge freezer has been working fine ever since we've had the 'van (from new). All the indicator lights on the control panel are working as they should and there is no fault code showing. When it's running on gas I can hear the igniter working and then hear the "burner" working so everythiing seems to working as it should - but it isn't. I've tried disconnecting the hookup so it does a complete "reboot" but that doesn't work.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul
Any sign of an ammonia leak?
The outside cover are off. How hot is the unit at the back?
That's all I can think of.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I'm fairly capable with electrical/mechanical items but how do I get at the thermostat?

I've taken the grills off at the back and the burner is definately alight.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul
You haven't yet said exactly which model you have?
The thermostat on the models I have seen are on top at the rear of the control panel. To reach these items invariably requires the whole fridge to be puled out which will mean removing the gas pipes and flue amongst other things. Without seeing your installation I have no more to say other than do be careful . Dometic should be able to email you their technical drawings and make some suggestions on a fix. However I suspect they will merely refer you to a qualified engineer.
Have you tried this link
https://www.dometic.com/fr-fr/fr/assistance

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dusty, sorry yes it's the RMD 8505. With regard to the thermostat, inside the fridge part, there is a small unit attached to the vanes at the back. This has a thin wire leading from it. Is this the thermostat sender? If I disconnect the wire is this "fooling" the fridge into thinking that it's too hot or does it think it's too cold.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dusty, that's the link to the single door (RM) series, mine is the RMD (double door). However, if I put a "D" into the link you sent the page changes to show RMD8505 but it still says it's a single door fridge. But according to the handbook, the "D" means double. Confusing!

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dusty, no not yet but the freezer now seems to be working! Mind you, it's done this before. I've been in contact with Dometic who couldn't offer a solution. They have, however, confirmed that the warranty is valid in France. I've now just got to get someone to come and look at it.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Well, after 6 weeks of working the fridge/freezer has now stopped working again! Couldn't get anyone in France (even Dometics agents) to look at it. We're back in the UK for 10 days at the end of the month but no one can fit me in to remedy the fault.

Dometic themselves say that it's likely that the cooling unit has failed but why does it work sometimes and not at other times?

Frustrated to say the least - anyone got any ideas?

Jul 29, 2018
Visit site
Hello.

I'm new here and I have a problem with Dometic CFX40W frezer/coller. We set the tempreture to 4°C but the food inside (accept in the area for fresh food) was frozen. We change the temperature to 10°C and it was the same. The tempreture on the screen was 16°C. What is wrong? O

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts