Dometic fridge rip off

Robert59

BANNED
May 18, 2023
Visit site
Just took delivery of a new Buccaneer and noticed some shelves missing from the fridge. I contacted the dealership and they told me this is the way Elddis is delivering them now but i can buy them as extra shelves , when did you ever buy a caravan then have to buy shelves for your fridge. According to the dealership Dometic the fridge manufacturer told Elddis if they want a fridge with all the shelves they have to pay extra. In all my years buying caravans i have never known a more deliberate and devious way to rip off their customers
As for Elddis customer service i can only describe as useless and patronising and this seems the new way forward for caravan manufacturers to leave parts out then charge you separately

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The more I hear the more I despair at some of the things that the caravan industry do. Unbelievable that a fridge doesn’t have any shelves, I can’t imagine Currys selling similar, although if they did try it on I’d walk. Not a choice open to you.

Reactions: PIERRE C.
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I believe this shelf issue has been going on for some time. Initially Dometic were supplying the "extra" shelves to dealers to pass on as soon as they became available. Maybe the situation has changed, or maybe the dealer cannot be bothered? Who knows?
Might be worth enquiring directly with Dometic?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Not as if Elddis's Buccaneer is their stripped-out entry model to the brand.

Importantly, were they a feature of any model you were shown by that dealer as an enticement to purchase?
Had that been the case and where that "extra" aspect was not mentioned, IMO you have a good case for being "miss sold" under CRA 2015.

As others I despair of this so called "industry" from maker through vender to maintainer, but for me that despair is nothing new.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
It may not be Dometic being tight but Elddis wanting cheaper fridges, caravan manufacturers can go from Thetford to Dometic or vice versa over a pound or two per unit difference in price.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In this case it is Dometic who are supplying the fridges with less shelves and not cost cutting by Elddis. The fridge does come with shelves, just not enough.

There are other fridge shelves that will fit and they are not Dometic shelves. Widely reported on the two Buccaneer groups on FB. Some dealers have added the extra shelves at no cost to the customer.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
In this case it is Dometic who are supplying the fridges with less shelves and not cost cutting by Elddis. The fridge does come with shelves, just not enough.

Somewhat a novel take on it, I am pretty sure that if Elddis specified these shelves on the purchase orders they placed on Dometic, Dometic would furnish them.

Of course, it's a cost cutting by Elddis, Dometic are in business to sell, I am equally sure they would like to sell them for every Buccaneer Elddis make.
That said, it could well be Elddis buisness model to offer the van at the lower bottom price leaving such items out, facilitates.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Somewhat a novel take on it, I am pretty sure that if Elddis specified these shelves on the purchase orders they placed on Dometic, Dometic would furnish them.

Of course, it's a cost cutting by Elddis, Dometic are in business to sell, I am equally sure they would like to sell them for every Buccaneer Elddis make.
That said, it could well be Elddis buisness model to offer the van at the lower bottom price leaving such items out, facilitates.
That is how Dometic supply that model of fridge to any buyer and not just Elddis! As said I belong to two Buccaneer groups on FB and people have checked with Dometic regarding the shelves and that is what they were told by Dometic and not Elddis or the dealer. However as you have inside knowledge on how Elddis operate I bow down to your superior knowledge. 😂😂

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Wait until caravan manufacturers catch up with Car manufacturers and start charging a subscription if you want to use certain features :D

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not as if Elddis's Buccaneer is their stripped-out entry model to the brand.

Importantly, were they a feature of any model you were shown by that dealer as an enticement to purchase?
Had that been the case and where that "extra" aspect was not mentioned, IMO you have a good case for being "miss sold" under CRA 2015....
JTQ is correct.
For a product that you seek to purchase and all you have is a manufacturers sales brochure and a display model on which to base your decision, The CRA makes it clear the goods must match the description and or the sample used to advertise the goods.

If the description in the sales brochure or the retailer does not define the number of shelves in the fridge, but sample model you see before before ordering your new caravan has 3 shelves and it arrives with only two, the goods do not match the description which is a fail under the CRA.

Reactions: Bluetonic
May 7, 2012
Visit site
As part of a major caravan building group the group could get the shelves if they applied commercial pressure by telling Dometic they were going elsewhere. Sounds like they value Dometic more than their customers. I rather think that you could have got the shelves though by making it a condition of the sale as I do not see the dealer losing an sale of that size for what they cost.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
That is how Dometic supply that model of fridge to any buyer and not just Elddis! As said I belong to two Buccaneer groups on FB and people have checked with Dometic regarding the shelves and that is what they were told by Dometic and not Elddis or the dealer. However as you have inside knowledge on how Elddis operate I bow down to your superior knowledge. 😂😂
Certainly based on being responsible for the contract contents of several hundred bought in items, for my clients.

Never ever faced a vendor or manufacturer refusing to supply our picks of their build options; can't believe Elddis live in a different world.
But then we or I never used FB.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can speak as having worked for a supplier of OEM equipment to caravan manufacturers and other markets, that if a customer wanted a special feature added to a product, the request would be considered.

It could not be allowed if it contravened any statutory approvals. ( this often affected coloured items where certain finishes could not meet the relevant regulations.)

But assuming no approvals were affected the request would be evaluated and costed, and presuming there was an extra manufacturing cost negotiations would ensue.

In most cases customers were taking several differnt products from us, and becasue of the total value of the product they were taking, the sales team had some latitude to strike a deal to cover some items at less than cost or possibly zero charge.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Bought a new Swift caravan in January. Had a Dometic fridge in it with apparently the full complement of shelves. The van was new, but a 2022 model. Perhaps this is a recent change?
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Certainly based on being responsible for the contract contents of several hundred bought in items, for my clients.

Never ever faced a vendor or manufacturer refusing to supply our picks of their build options; can't believe Elddis live in a different world.
But then we or I never used FB.
However Dometic never refused to supply the shelves as the fridge came standard with only oneshelf. Not sure why Dometic only supply one shelf? The fridge in our 2018 Buccaneer has two shelves plus the top of the tray for the salad drawer.

If the display model Buccaneer showed two shelves due to the dealer adding the extra shelf, then it is up to the dealer to supply the extra shelf and not Elddis or Dometic. As Prof states does not comply with description etc.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I had a look at Dometic sales blurb. See the photo below.
Meanwhile Elddis say in their brochure:-

• Dometic series 10 fridge - All 153ltrs
  • Domestic kitchen-style pull out storage baskets “
No wonder I’m getting 5 out 2+2🤬🤬

Attachments

• 17C11614-7C9D-41E7-8F55-F99356779E57.jpeg
    17C11614-7C9D-41E7-8F55-F99356779E57.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 15
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I had a look at Dometic sales blurb. See the photo below.
Meanwhile Elddis say in their brochure:-

• Dometic series 10 fridge - All 153ltrs
  • Domestic kitchen-style pull out storage baskets “
No wonder I’m getting 5 out 2+2🤬🤬
Makes you wonder why they only supply the fridge with one shelf if picture shows 3 shelves and also tell consumers that it is standard with only one shelf.

Problem here is that consumer cannot approach Domestic to complain, cannot approach Elddis so that only leaves the dealer who then states that is they way the fridge is delivered in the caravan.

I wonder if other brands of caravans, fitting the same fridge, have the same issue of lack of shelves?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lets try to clarify,
There are two issues. The first is what does the caravan manufacture fit to their caravans

Most OEM manufactures of products like fridges and other appliances used in caravans often have a generic product with base specification. The OEM might offer enhanced models with more shelves, or options for more shelves. It is up to the customer (i.e the caravan manufacturer) to order the model of fridge with or any options they want.

The second is what specification is shown to prospective customers and are the differences between what's shown and whats ordered made clear before the order is placed.

If a caravan dealer decides to display a caravan which has any enhancements over the base model, and uses it to be a demonstrator for the base model they must make sure the customer is aware of ALL the differences, otherwise the customer can expect to receive what they have been shown.

Fridge shelves are perhaps the thin end of the wedge, but never the less demonstrate the principle.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof see #18,
Is it reasonable for a purchaser , reading his Elddis brochure to then Google the printed words which take him to Dometic site snd photos?
In Law if any ambiguity exists it is usual to find in favour of the buyer?? The Contra Preferentum Rule

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Lets try to clarify,
There are two issues. The first is what does the caravan manufacture fit to their caravans

Most OEM manufactures of products like fridges and other appliances used in caravans often have a generic product with base specification. The OEM might offer enhanced models with more shelves, or options for more shelves. It is up to the customer (i.e the caravan manufacturer) to order the model of fridge with or any options they want.

The second is what specification is shown to prospective customers and are the differences between what's shown and whats ordered made clear before the order is placed.

If a caravan dealer decides to display a caravan which has any enhancements over the base model, and uses it to be a demonstrator for the base model they must make sure the customer is aware of ALL the differences, otherwise the customer can expect to receive what they have been shown.

Fridge shelves are perhaps the thin end of the wedge, but never the less demonstrate the principle.
Quite correct, but how many peopel will remember how many fridge shelves were in the demonstration model that they viewed several months ago prior to placing the deposit to purchase.

Also for instance when looking at a motor vehicle, it is unlikely that the dealer will have the spec of vehicle that you want available and normally it will be a higher or the top spec car that you test drive. A very grey area!

Here is the link to the Buccaneer brochure. https://elddis.co.uk/uploads/Brochu...aravan Range Brochure 2023 - REDUCED SIZE.pdf

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Quite correct, but how many peopel will remember how many fridge shelves were in the demonstration model that they viewed several months ago prior to placing the deposit to purchase.

When last out looking in 2007 I took my digital camera to ensure we could check on the many various points that if simply relying on our memories would be challenging; plus, to have "proof" if any point was ever in contention.
These days it is so easy with a smart phone to take a large number of pictures.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When last out looking in 2007 I took my digital camera to ensure we could check on the many various points that if simply relying on our memories would be challenging; plus, to have "proof" if any point was ever in contention.
These days it is so easy with a smart phone to take a large number of pictures.
Even consider taking a video, so you capture any comments or points made by the dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts