Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Has anyone had one of these or similar door canopies? Any comments good or bad?
I had seen another type advertised about 6 months ago, but cannot find it now.
http://www.caravansandtrailertents.co.uk/advert/C02009
I like the idea that it can be fitted between top and bottom rails. We could have done with one this weekend as we were on tarmac hardstanding.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
There was another company, could have been Suncamp or siimilar who had something like this but as far as I know they discontinued them last year or year before.
I can't really see the point of them as they dont increse the storage area, you can't sit under them and the rain will still make the step area wet (if it is blowing from on to the nearside of the caravan).
My porch awning doesn't take long to errect and it gives me somewhere for muddy boots and or mountain bike etc.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As a canopy over the door we use the very versatile Isabella "Shadow"..
IMO a very much better solution, be it for rain or sun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhiQ4ZZvuh4

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
isabella also do one, that can either be fitted to the awning or directly onto the van
http://www.isabella.net/uk/accessories/canopies/details/door-canopy

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I've never seen one in the flesh but I think it looks sturdy, easy to put up and good value. Wouldn't want to upset anyone, and again I haven't used one myself, but those sunshades don't look up to coping with a British storm.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We were quite interested and inquired on another forum about the door canopy. The general consensus from those that had them was not too bother. Slightest wind and it is over the top was one of the reasons. Another was that they don't last long and rip easily.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
JTQ said:
As a canopy over the door we use the very versatile Isabella "Shadow"..
IMO a very much better solution, be it for rain or sun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhiQ4ZZvuh4
We bought a similar item when we first started caravanning several years back, from a Preston company for probably a quarter of the Isabella price
smiley-money-mouth.gif
. The reason we didn't use it this weekend was as per the original posting - we were on tarmac and even the rock pegs wouldn't go in the ground
smiley-frown.gif

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Woodlands Camper said:
. The reason we didn't use it this weekend was as per the original posting - we were on tarmac and even the rock pegs wouldn't go in the ground
smiley-frown.gif

Point taken; read the whole question first!
smiley-wink.gif

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
TonyG said:
isabella also do one, that can either be fitted to the awning or directly onto the van
http://www.isabella.net/uk/accessories/canopies/details/door-canopy
Tony - thank you for your suggestion, but I couldn't see anything on the link which says/shows a canopy fitted directly to a van. Also all the pictures show the canopies down to ground level, so can't use on tarmac or concrete.
smiley-frown.gif

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Sir Sproket CJ ( BAR)
I have seen similar items, but I'm looking for something that fixes between top and bottom awning rails so it can be used on concrete or tarmac hard-standings.
Thank you for your reply.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hmm...I like the look of these. I have a dead porch awning which could well provide donor material for a home-made version.
Methinks I feel another winter project coming on...I wonder if Mrs Gozza would notice if I borrowed the sewing machine?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Update - I did receive the canopy and it will do the job for the odd occasions I need it. I will post some photos of it on the van sometime, which I took on the trial fitting in the storage site (just enough space between vans!!).
However, whilst delivering the van to suppliers yesterday for warranty work on the omnivent roof light I noticed they had an Isabella version which the salesman said was new for 2014.
Sob - found a dent (caused by the suppliers whilst fixing the vent) in the off-side of the van when about to collect it this morning, so the van stays there until the new year to have the dent repaired.
smiley-yell.gif

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Woodlands Camper said:
Update - I did receive the canopy and it will do the job for the odd occasions I need it. I will post some photos of it on the van sometime, which I took on the trial fitting in the storage site (just enough space between vans!!).
However, whilst delivering the van to suppliers yesterday for warranty work on the omnivent roof light I noticed they had an Isabella version which the salesman said was new for 2014.
Sob - found a dent (caused by the suppliers whilst fixing the vent) in the off-side of the van when about to collect it this morning, so the van stays there until the new year to have the dent repaired.
smiley-yell.gif
like the one i suggested in post 3
smiley-smile.gif

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
TonyG said:
Woodlands Camper said:
smiley-yell.gif
like the one i suggested in post 3
smiley-smile.gif

No, not exactly. The new one attaches directly to the caravan (between top and bottom awning rails) without it being on the front of an awning.
The one I bought is the 'new canopy' with clear triangular sides in this link:
https://www.facebook.com/firwoodleisure
The isabella one is the same shape but use their normal blue material rather than clear plastic.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:

As promised, here is a picture (if I'm doing it right).

Edit 1: 1st attempt wrong - trying again

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi I've purchased the Isabella Door Canopy.

Used it and it does everything on the tin,

Good strong material, very easy to feed through the awning rail, A U shaped Extendable frame keeps everything taught and in shape.

Sides clip into the bottom awning rail & a strap adjusts the tension.

Now had it up in Rain & High Winds and it worked great, giving real shelter to the door.

Will use it whenever we are not using the awning or as it only takes 5 mins to put up, If we do use the awning will fit it over the aquaroll so I wont get wet when changing over as it always seams to empty just when the rain starts lol.

Hope this helps
Cheers
John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts