dose anyone use a merc 320 auto

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Matt,

You'll probably need to be more specific about your engine and the car itself - today Mercedes make (and have made over the past 20 years) a series of 320 Petrol and a 320 Diesel engines that they fitted to the C and E class saloon and estate cars.

I tow with a C270 CDI automatic saloon (C-Class 2.7 litre diesel / 185 bhp / 440 NM torque) and it is just outstanding - 45 to 55 mpg solo, 30 to 40 mpg towing - very relaxing, good performance, fun to drive and solid.

Depending on the age and mileage of your Merc, you may want to check the rear suspension bushes - if the car had been used for towing before / has covered 100,000 plus miles - and if it feels at all twitchy towing - then get the suspension bushes examined and replaced.

If the Merc is over 10 years old - then consider flushing the radiator and remove any of the sludge that may have accumulated.

If the Merc has been out of the dealer service network for several years - then consider changing the automatic gear box oil and the rear axle oil with the current top specification oil

Robert

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Rob,

I tow a 26ft Abbey spectrum with a 03 plate Merc S 320 Cdi,

the car tows superbly i get 27mpg towing ,38 mpg normally,

You should be ok.

Best regards

mike

Jan 19, 2005
Visit site
Matt,

You'll probably need to be more specific about your engine and the car itself - today Mercedes make (and have made over the past 20 years) a series of 320 Petrol and a 320 Diesel engines that they fitted to the C and E class saloon and estate cars.

I tow with a C270 CDI automatic saloon (C-Class 2.7 litre diesel / 185 bhp / 440 NM torque) and it is just outstanding - 45 to 55 mpg solo, 30 to 40 mpg towing - very relaxing, good performance, fun to drive and solid.

Depending on the age and mileage of your Merc, you may want to check the rear suspension bushes - if the car had been used for towing before / has covered 100,000 plus miles - and if it feels at all twitchy towing - then get the suspension bushes examined and replaced.

If the Merc is over 10 years old - then consider flushing the radiator and remove any of the sludge that may have accumulated.

If the Merc has been out of the dealer service network for several years - then consider changing the automatic gear box oil and the rear axle oil with the current top specification oil

Robert
thanx for your views my car is a 2001 clk 320 v6 petrol auto48000 miles with full dealer history it is a 2 door coupe

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
Matt,

I Tow a 2000 Bailey Pageant with a E320 Petrol Automatic, I Prevously had a Land Rover Discovery Series 2, Apart from the back of the car sitting low woith the caravan on I have had no problems, Plenty of power and grip no snaking or lorry disturbance, I am about to tow to the south of France I will just add Spring Assisters to the back less than

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul,

A modern E class shouldn't sit any lower with a caravan on the back that it should with two or three heavy suitcases in the boot.

Robert

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi Paul,

A modern E class shouldn't sit any lower with a caravan on the back that it should with two or three heavy suitcases in the boot.

Robert
Hi Rob,

My car is a 2004 Model Elegance I believe the first owner specified the sport pack springs, Which lowers the car anyway,

I have had new Shock Absorbers but the car does sit very low with the caravan on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Towing, the car is equivalent to having a few suitcases in the boot, plus people on the back seat, plus possibly something on the roof, plus 85kg on the towball. That is enough to overlaod the suspension of most normal cars. I have experience in this, and would not buy another car without self-levlling.

Cheers

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts