Downsizing

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
We have just downsized car and caravan in order to continue caravanning into retirement .
The fixed bed 4 berth gave us plenty of space and the suv towed it no bother but alas increasingly costly to run.
just taken delivery of Eldiss Affinity 462 matched to a Volvo V60 d3 so now looking forward to more affordable running costs
The OH is happy, still get Alde heating, just got to get her to try towing it, ah well I live in hope

Happy caravanning to all for 2018 season

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering about doing something similar when we need to change but have to convince Mrs W of the benefits. She has got used to the room with the longer van and is reluctant to give it up.

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi Raywood

My wife took some convincing but in the end economics won the day, been to the van today to put our stuff in it and we really have to focus on what we actually need in the van , rather than what we like to have for just in case sake,
got rid of lots of stuff and we will be travelling lighter from now on

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
We did the same a couple of years ago when I retired, we PX a 4 berth fixed bed caravan for a 2 berth Compass Omega 482 (based on the Affinity, now Capiro 462) the wife chose it because of the large rear washroom with a large shower and wardrobe. Does for us now, we just go off when we want, stay as long as we want and come back home when we want, more outings using the C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites, cheap prices around £8 - £11 a night, also tend to use basic 5 van site from both clubs, just use a folding solar panel to keep the battery charged up. Tow mine with a Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0TDi 4x4 and we find it cheap to run.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bluerocket said:
Hi Raywood

My wife took some convincing but in the end economics won the day, been to the van today to put our stuff in it and we really have to focus on what we actually need in the van , rather than what we like to have for just in case sake,

This has just made me think of what might be an interesting excersise; If caravanner's could weigh all the stuff they remove it might surprise them how much weight is involved, half a dozen magazines and newspapers, local guides and maps could be a couple of Kg, not to mention torch batteries, maps spare bottle openers, excess cutlery , spare clothes, food that you could purchase locally at your destination etc. It all adds up. Anyone done it?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Bluerocket said:
We have just downsized car and caravan in order to continue caravanning into retirement .
The fixed bed 4 berth gave us plenty of space and the suv towed it no bother but alas increasingly costly to run.
just taken delivery of Eldiss Affinity 462 matched to a Volvo V60 d3 so now looking forward to more affordable running costs
The OH is happy, still get Alde heating, just got to get her to try towing it, ah well I live in hope

Happy caravanning to all for 2018 season

I guess that you haven’t factored in the depreciation costs and costs of new kit for the new outfit. Would be an interesting accounting exercise. But enjoy the new outfit.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Bluerocket said:
Hi Raywood

This has just made me think of what might be an interesting excersise; If caravanner's could weigh all the stuff they remove it might surprise them how much weight is involved, half a dozen magazines and newspapers, local guides and maps could be a couple of Kg, not to mention torch batteries, maps spare bottle openers, excess cutlery , spare clothes, food that you could purchase locally at your destination etc. It all adds up. Anyone done it?

Yes Prof I did, after fitting a new memory foam mattress, took the van to the weigh bridge, OUCH, I was 20 kg below max weight without, clothes etc, so thinned out Vacum cleaner, spare toilet fluids, two of the four torches, clothes drier, ironing board and iron,, moved spices for cooking from jars into smaller plastic containers, half of the cook books, a years supply of magazines, numerous spares for "just in case, Alko spare wheel carrier, one of the throw blankets, incase its cold, never used it even when it't snowing, saved about 40 kg. Amazing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
ProfJohnL said:
Bluerocket said:
Hi Raywood

So would you have been overweight prior to fitting the new mattress? We think about going to a two berth when our granddaughter decides it’s no longer “ cool” to be out with a couple of pensioners. But if I’m honest the payloads fit most two berths (UK) are rubbish. Why makers can’t do as some of the continental makers do and give a range of payloads defeats me.
Can’t believe anyone takes ironing boards etc. Why were Rohan invented? :)
Yes Prof I did, after fitting a new memory foam mattress, took the van to the weigh bridge, OUCH, I was 20 kg below max weight without, clothes etc, so thinned out Vacum cleaner, spare toilet fluids, two of the four torches, clothes drier, ironing board and iron,, moved spices for cooking from jars into smaller plastic containers, half of the cook books, a years supply of magazines, numerous spares for "just in case, Alko spare wheel carrier, one of the throw blankets, incase its cold, never used it even when it't snowing, saved about 40 kg. Amazing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
ProfJohnL said:
Bluerocket said:
Hi Raywood

So would you have been overweight prior to fitting the new mattress? We think about going to a two berth when our granddaughter decides it’s no longer “ cool” to be out with a couple of pensioners. But if I’m honest the payloads fit most two berths (UK) are rubbish. Why makers can’t do as some of the continental makers do and give a range of payloads defeats me.
Can’t believe anyone takes ironing boards etc. Why were Rohan invented? :)

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
W have done exactly the same thing. We started off in a 2 berth and then the arrival of a leggy labrador suggested that a bigger van would be best. We went to a fixed bed Sterling 560 Elite and then last year to a Delta Ri transverse fixed bed.

Later this month we take delivery of a Bailey Unicorn Seville 2 berth!!!! Why? Well quite simply the idea that the 2 labradors would spread out across the caravan failed in practice. Bottom line is they want to sit with mum and dad. Watching my husband and 2 labradors on a 5 foot sofa is painful and when we did a comparison of the footprint actually used, a 2 berth is probably going to be best. We will pair it with a decent size air awning and annexe and have invested in duvalay's so that we get a decent nights sleep.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
OC, I think I probably would have been. It was a case of, when going to France for 4 weeks every 12 weeks for 4 years, " Lets take this , take that" TV, digi box, loads of different clothes, ( Hadn't found Rohan, ) Three gas bottle, only ever used one, Iron for pressing, the wifes nice dress incase we go somewhere special. Just never took the stuff out of the van. So now the van is nice and light again, and trying to keep it that way.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I thought about downsizing :dry:
Now retired the true cost to me is fuel burn. We have a very frugal family car. The tug does 7k miles a year at most. 25 mpg. £500 road tax. Service average.
we enjoy our 7.98m ta. Home from home comforts.
If I downsize I need to understand how much I will realistically save .Not that much I suspect. More to the point my outfitsresidual value is , not a lot. So am I losing? Not in the true sense.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
I thought about downsizing :dry:
Now retired the true cost to me is fuel burn. We have a very frugal family car. The tug does 7k miles a year at most. 25 mpg. £500 road tax. Service average.
we enjoy our 7.98m ta. Home from home comforts.
If I downsize I need to understand how much I will realistically save .Not that much I suspect. More to the point my outfitsresidual value is , not a lot. So am I losing? Not in the true sense.

I think we are the same, even with a smaller van the costs are the same , pitches, storage, towing cost maybe slightly better, not enough to make a difference, I would keep the same tug, so stay with what we have, until I am 70 then maybe think again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
EH52ARH said:
I would keep the same tug, so stay with what we have, until I am 70 then maybe think again.

Not long then !! :p
6 years to go. Ha ha.
41a1c52047e58e62caae9a3d332e0d92--harley-davidson-t-shirt.jpg

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
We're considering downsizing from our Hymer 580 GL and Toyota Hilux to a two berth and smaller estate car. It's been 35 yrs and fifteen new caravans of aspiring from a 10ft glass windowed Trophy to this but time catches up with us all !

TRENDING THREADS