Dreaded Crack

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Whilst polishing my van today before putting it into storage the cloth caught on something - a dreaded crack, high up on the rear. I tried taking photos but no joy due to not focusing on the bright plastic. Have popped in to the local service centre and they said it was probably a stress fracture and would need a new rear panel :( probably under warranty :) . They will eyeball it next week when I will be going past them on the way back to storage site. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will not cost me any money.

It never rains, but pours. Our daughter's house was hit by an uninsured car on Tues night and the front house wall has been declared structurally unsafe so she had to move out. They would need to take out and replace complete wall, so may take months. Waiting to see what the options are from the insurance company.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/75544-hairline-cracks-in-rear-van-panel-clubman/
Hi Sir WC
The above link is interesting.
Will your local Lunar Dealer sort this out or will you have to visit the original selling Dealer?
Sorry to hear about daughter's problem. Her own insurers must act fast and subject to the terms of her policy find her immediate temporary housing whilst they organise repairs to her home. Don't worry about the car driver being uninsured. The MIB will eventually pay up direct with your insurers including any uninsured losses your daughter may have incurred.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks DD, interesting link.

Local dealer is a Lunar agent and has done warranty work on the van before, so no need to take it to supplying dealer. They will assess the crack next week.

Re daughter's house, several 'experts' have examined damage and the loss assessor was due this afternoon, so will await outcome.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
.....It never rains, but pours. Our daughter's house was hit by an uninsured car on Tues night and the front house wall has been declared structurally unsafe so she had to move out. They would need to take out and replace complete wall, so may take months. Waiting to see what the options are from the insurance company.
I'm sorry to learn about the cracked panel Graham, but hopefully your daughter and anyone inside her house were unhurt.
Walls can be rebuilt, caravan panels can be replaced so although events seem to conspire against us at times things could have been much worse.
I hope that these things are quickly resolved for your daughter and for yourself.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
but hopefully your daughter and anyone inside her house were unhurt.

My daughter was in the house on her own and luckily upstairs at the back of the house, so was not physically hurt. She was, however, suffering from shock, as one would expect.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It will be interesting to know how Lunar deal with your problem as I thought the guarantee was three years although you might also have a claim against the dealer.
I would hope the house insurer is on the job and that is sorted quickly.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Found another crack on the van, this time at the front. :angry: A one and half inch long crack emanating from the gas strut fixing hole. I will have to stop waxing the van 'cos I'm looking at every inch of it. ;)

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Lunar state that their van's from 2009 have a six year body warranty .....

What is covered within the warranty?
The 6 year body shell integrity warranty covers water ingress through any permanently sealed seam joints and delamination of panels and floor, being part of the caravans original construction.

In year 1 of the 3 year manufacturer's backed warranty Lunar will cover all components and part arising from manufacturing defects but not those which are the result of normal wear and tear and those that relate to Tyres, Bulbs, Fluorescent Tubes and Fuses. In years 2 & 3 specific exclusions apply and those items covered are listed on pages 2 & 3 of the Lunar Service Handbook.

Sir WC
I hope you get the outcome that you are seeking ...I would now be going over it with a magnifying glass and hope nothing else turns up ...

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
All sounds a total poop. At least everything will be reparable and no one has been hurt. Get over that van with a fine tooth comb and find the slightest thing so that hopefully everything can be done at once. Good luck with the van and wish your daughter all the best with the house.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Parksy said:

My daughter was in the house on her own and luckily upstairs at the back of the house, so was not physically hurt. She was, however, suffering from shock, as one would expect.

Court case yesterday, 3x guilty charges. Sentencing in a couple of weeks.
1. Driving without due care and attention
2. Driving without insurance
3. Driving under influence of drugs (nearly 5x limit)

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The sentencing will probably be to the usual standards in the country :angry:

Have all the house repairs gone ahead and to plan?

What's happened about your cracks?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
WoodlandsCamper said:
Parksy said:

Court case yesterday, 3x guilty charges. Sentencing in a couple of weeks.
1. Driving without due care and attention
2. Driving without insurance
3. Driving under influence of drugs (nearly 5x limit)

Sir WC

I bet he gets
6 points ,
A ban from driving for one year
100 hours community work.
free drug rehab scheme
£50.00 towards the Court Costs.

Any more offers :kiss:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Driving under the influence of alcohol is something that is not as common as it used to be but drug driving seems to have replaced drink driving now.
I bet the guilty party will be awarded the usual slapped wrist and your daughters insurers will be forced to pick up the tab for repairs which could increase the premiums. :angry:

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Martin24 said:

Repair work not yet started, but hopefully will be in the next few weeks. She is still in temporary accommodation at the moment, with half her belongings in storage.

Martin24 said:

Called into the dealers last week to check status and they are still awaiting parts. They chased up the manufacturer, who promised parts around early March. The authorised repairs are: to patch the rear panel crack/hole and replace the front panel.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Martin24 said:

Repair work not yet started, but hopefully will be in the next few weeks. She is still in temporary accommodation at the moment, with half her belongings in storage.

Martin24 said:

Called into the dealers last week to check status and they are still awaiting parts. They chased up the manufacturer, who promised parts around early March. The authorised repairs are: to patch the rear panel crack/hole and replace the front panel.

I hope the patch doesn't look like the Elddis job we all saw last year.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
WC, i had a small crack on top right corner of the van ater a run into the garage roof. Didnt notice it for almost 8 months unlike like your self, but CC payed upmstraightn way 5500. Ouch. 120 myself. A great job done, so dont worry.
Hutch

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You seem to have the usual slow production of parts. Lunar exclude the panel from the guarantee but seem to have accepted your claim though so looks good long term.

TRENDING THREADS