Drilling holes in the rear of my caravan !!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I need to drill a 22mm (7/8") hole in the rear of my 2002 Bailey Senator Oklahoma to fit a small CCTV Camera (see "CCTV Camera at rear of Van" under "Towing, driving and safety" discussion).

The outer 'plastic skin' cleary has an air gap betwene that and the inside 'wall' of the rear of the caravan. But what is this made of. I have purchased a Mandrel (for wood, masonry and metal) and a 22mm Holesaw which cuts a cicular hole of the correct diameter.

However, could this rip / tear the outer skin of the caravan? And what's te material immediately on the other side of the skin i.e the 'wall' of the caravan?

John Glassey's been incredibly tolerant of my multiple questions; but I cannot afford to get this one wrong !!

Thanks for any responses. John

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Normally, there is no airgap but the space between the outside and inside wall is usually filled with polystyrene foam insulator. On my caravan, the inside wall is hardboard laminated with a decorative plastic skin.

If I were you, I'd drill a small, say 6mm, pilot hole through both outside and inside wall first. Then you will not only see what you are drilling through but also where you are going to come out on the other side. Often, it is worthwhile to re-drill with the final hole size from both sides. That prevents a frayed hole on the inside.

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Having read your post my immediate reaction was the age of your caravan and how will this affect the warranty?

From past experience (having a motorhome and fixing rear bike racks etc) I recall that the professional guys who repair caravan say that you shouldn't use silicone sealant for various reasons, life span when exposed to the elements,shrinkage etc.

There are dedicated sealants for this particular type of application so I would seriously look into that aspect.

Good luck

Tom

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,John

Lutz is correct on the make up of your caravan, however make sure if you do drill a pilot hole that the diameter is no larger than the drill bit in the center of your hole-saw.Otherwise the hole-saw will just wobble about and cause a horrendous mess.

Ideally you really need a piece of timber pushed hard against the inside wall where the hole-saw will come through. So this means another pair of hands as you will not be able to clamp the timber.

Is this the only way to mount your camera??. Do not forget that it will be difficult to make a sound external seal and your warranty for water ingress will be invalid.

As you state John you can't afford to get it wrong. If you do not feel 100% happy doing it yourself, get somebody who is and used to drilling with a hole-saw.Drilling a caravan is a lot different to your normal diy.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask for further info.

Regards Nidge.

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Another ponit I forgot to mention, the mandrel you have purchased? Is it the thin metal circular blade type that fits into a ring slot on the mandrel?

If it is then throw it away, they have a tendancy to jump out of the track and make a mess.

You need a Bosch or Starrat Hole Saw which will set you back about 15 quid but worth every penny.

Tom

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The structure of a rear panel on a 2002 Bailey Seanator ISN'T as Lutz describes.

It consists of a conventional flat structural panel, ie aluminium, foam, plywood bonded sandwich, together with a full height moulded ABS cap which is not bonded to the panel underneath, its only attached around the edges. There can be air gaps in places between the two panels.

I do agree with Lutz that the best way to drill the hole is a small pilot which you can open up to the right size from each side.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another ponit I forgot to mention, the mandrel you have purchased? Is it the thin metal circular blade type that fits into a ring slot on the mandrel?

If it is then throw it away, they have a tendancy to jump out of the track and make a mess.

You need a Bosch or Starrat Hole Saw which will set you back about 15 quid but worth every penny.

Tom
Totally agree:-

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
John when you drill the pilot hole make up a patch of insulation tape or similar over where you're drilling in case the drill runs off.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Dear John/Lutz,

The first thing to say on this subject that the quality and materials all differ and that typically the construction method of a British built van is different to German built vans.

More to the point as someone who has spent sometime in Commercial body shops and fitted CCTV to freight vans I can see your issues.

Firstly try to identify the method of construction - in particular whether the outer skin is continuously joined or is subject to bearers as I suspect.

Do the tape (masking) on the point of the cut ( an HSS bit should ok for this) use a low torque setting and the Hammer off !!

Then once the construction is ascertained use the whole saw but be wary of skate -

Result one hole cut to size.

Use a small amount of UPVC silicone (low mod) or Sika flex around the installation

Regards

Monkeys Husband

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As said tape the area to be drilled.

Drill pilot hole in correct place and then use the hole saw in a high speed drill and lubricated the area you are cutting.

Ease the drill slowly, I deill in to GRP with 50mm hole cutters, with slow speed battery drill the cutter can rip the hole. slow and careful at high speed gives and clean cut!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
If it is possible to mount the camera on the offside at the rear of the caravan at an angle,not in the centre, it would be possible to run the cable though the awning rail on that side held in position with silicon . I'm sure this would give the same rear view.

Just a thought ! Brian (",)

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I thank you all for your varied responses from "Don't do it" to "proceed with great caution". I shall have words with John Glassey (who's completed this project) and also my local caravan dealer / service agent. Thanks to all! John

TRENDING THREADS