Driving Around Nantes on N844

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone. We will be travelling down to SW France in July, a trip we have done on several occasions now. All the routeplanners we use take you the westside around Nantes on the N844, but where we exit to go south on the A83, we always get stuck for at least 30mins in sold traffic exiting this ringroad. I've had a look at google maps to see the time difference in travelling the eastside of Nantes on the N844. Surprisingly it's 1km less and the same amount of time. In reality, does anyone know if this is a quicker route that isn't as busy to avoid the traffic? Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks, Brian

Sep 20, 2006
Visit site
we live about an hour away from nantes and the only time we got the trafic jams was at rush hour same as anywhere else

but apart from that no problem

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
thanks for the feedback. We have driven around Nantes at different times of the day, but always in the summer holidays and always get caught travelling westside. We'll give eastside a try in July and see how we get on. Cheers, Brian

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
I too have encountered these delays exiting the Nantes ring road, also a massive Q exiting the N137 onto the ring road west, north of Nantes. I don't like the height of the bridge either as it goes over the Loire.

I now always go east around Nantes. Always a doddle and easy. Take A844 east. Exit at next junct. for the C844/E62. Follow this over the Loire and bear right onto the D844. Shortly, the junctin with the A83 is encountered.

Ian

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
I have been driving round Nantes every year for the last 16 years and it's always ben on my mind, having taken a wrong turn and ended up off the ring road !! Travelling East has been pretty difficult for several years due to the massive road works but as they seem to be done now things are much better that way round. However I did find that when travelling South using the Westerly side, it was much better to leave the Peripherique at the junction before the actual A83 exit. This takes you on a little detour down the D137 through Les Sorinieres and you can join the A82 or N137 a few miles south of Nantes. This IS actually a good shortcut as it cuts off quite a big corner and avoids the jams at the A83 exit. However, you don't have to mind driving on ordinary roads for approx 4 miles or so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts