DRIVING LICENCE FOR TOWING

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I'm not sure what you are saying. ???

Provisional licence holders are not allowed to tow anything.

I suspect that somebody who is DISQUALIFIED TILL TEST PASS will be regarded as driving while disqualified if they break ANY of the provisional licence rules. DTTP is frequently imposed on elderly drivers, even for minor offences.

Motor cycles under 125cc are not allowed to tow.

So who/what else do you think is not allowed to tow?

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
602, I think Stephen is referring to people who passed their test from 1997 onwards who are restricted to 3500kg max allowable weight (even if the actual weight is less than 3500kg) and all the other associated restrictions.

You can now easily exceed these limits with a mid size car and a small 4 birth caravan. For example a Zafira towing a 4 birth Bailey Ranger can be in excess of 3500kg max allowable weight and that is hardly an outfit I would consider large.

I think this will cover a larger percentage of the population than 50cc scooter owners who want to tow a caravan behind their Aprilla don't you? I bet there are alot of new caravanners this year who if checked will fall foul of this law.

Hopefully if you are buying from a dealer then you will be made aware of the situation, however if you buy privately (or from the well known online auction site) you may be blissfully unaware of the situation.

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
QUOTE:(I think this will cover a larger percentage of the population than 50cc scooter owners who want to tow a caravan behind their Aprilla don't you? I bet there are alot of new caravanners this year who if checked will fall foul of this law.)

HA HA!

Loving this comment - must try it with my Motorbike! Lol

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Aaaaah! So they are allowed to tow, but maybe not allowed to tow what they have got. Not quite the same thing, but I'll accept it.

Er ..... can you tow a 4000kg combination with a B-licence.....on L plates?

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
The point Steven has raised should be taken seriously. Most caravanners will know what he means, there has been enough publicity on the subject.

Any caravanner who has an outfit, and whose licence does not entitle them to drive the outfit,if involved in an a road accident would be in serious legal trouble and end up with no insurance.

Hamer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Hamer and Stephen.

The fact is that an increasing percentage of drivers passed their test after Jan 1st 1997, and unless they have taken the extension test they are limited to a combined MAM of 3500kg

I would be interested to know how many people have taken the +E test? Any one want to own up to it yet?

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
No I haven't I have no need to I have all groups on my license.

My daughters haven't taken it either they can tow on their b group. so until they want to go bigger there's no need yet.

Hubby hasn't either he has everything aswell.

I haven't done a CC driving course either.

NO NEED I can tow just as well.

Father HGV and taken around with HGV person.

There you are I'll be the first.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to clear this issue

A very good friend of mine past his test in 1999 and has been towing a caravan 1194kg Maximum Authorised Mass. Got pulled over in Devon for a minor traffic offence. BUT here is the sting the police informed him after some checks your only have new category B Sir. you do not have a legal right tobe towing this outfit. It cost him dear for that error.

Please read the folloing:-

A full (not provisional) driving licence is required to tow a caravan. From 1 January 1997, new (generally held as 'normal' car entitlement) vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kg Maximum Authorised Mass allowing a combined weight of up to 4.25 tonnes MAM OR a trailer (for example a tourer) over 750kg MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM. This would mean that many drivers who possess only a category B on their licence would be able to tow a caravan provided it was not heavier than their car, and that car and caravan combined, does not weigh more than 3.5 tonnes.

New drivers of outfits over these limits must take a category B + E test.

Further information from: Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA)

Very interesting reading would you not agree.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to clear this issue

A very good friend of mine past his test in 1999 and has been towing a caravan 1194kg Maximum Authorised Mass. Got pulled over in Devon for a minor traffic offence. BUT here is the sting the police informed him after some checks your only have new category B Sir. you do not have a legal right tobe towing this outfit. It cost him dear for that error.

Please read the folloing:-

A full (not provisional) driving licence is required to tow a caravan. From 1 January 1997, new (generally held as 'normal' car entitlement) vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kg Maximum Authorised Mass allowing a combined weight of up to 4.25 tonnes MAM OR a trailer (for example a tourer) over 750kg MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM. This would mean that many drivers who possess only a category B on their licence would be able to tow a caravan provided it was not heavier than their car, and that car and caravan combined, does not weigh more than 3.5 tonnes.

New drivers of outfits over these limits must take a category B + E test.

Further information from: Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA)

Very interesting reading would you not agree.
I have two friends that have sat the b+c test so that they can tow horse boxes. Both said that they were not that useful apart from giving them a chance to practice reversing.

My car, caravan combination is under 3.5tonnes combined mam so I am ok but I let the husband do the towing as he is more used to driving a longer vehicle than me (drives lorries for a living).

A person who passed their test after 1997 can, if accompanied by a driver who passed their test before 1997 or who has passed the b+c cat(for two years or more?) and wearing L plates, tow a without their b+e. I have towed a horse box using this method to help a friend move house and checked it out first to make cure that it is legal.

Good point though to keep people aware of their licence etc. Also did everyone (apart from me) know that photo licenes have to be re-done every 10 years or you risk a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stephen,

I do not doubt the outcome of your friends case, but the information you have supplied does not give the reason for his conviction.

A caravan of 1194kg MAM can be quite lawfully towed by a post 1997driver, provide the tow cat is greater than 1194 Kg Mass In Running Order (MIRO) but less than 2306Kg MAM

Was the caravan MAM heaver than his cars MIRO, or was his car potentially too heavy and took him over 3500kg-combined MAM?

As for the extract it has been discussed at some length on other recent threads.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Sorry do not know. All i do now he lost his licence and got a very very heavy fine. I would ask him and others have but you tend to get your head bitten off so we avoid subject now.

Sorry that i cannot answer a very good point.

I just put it on forum as a warning to other.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry do not know. All i do now he lost his licence and got a very very heavy fine. I would ask him and others have but you tend to get your head bitten off so we avoid subject now.

Sorry that i cannot answer a very good point.

I just put it on forum as a warning to other.
I do agree that sometimes a warning can save embarasment or worse.

There is little doubt that many newish drivers may not be fully aware of their legal entitlements/restrictions when it comes to towing. with the trend for younger drivers to opt for larger vehicles possibly to try and impress, they do not realise they are eating into their towing allowances with the 3500Kg cap.

Some interesting points have come to light through this thread, such as the L plates.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Because this forum has a poor search facility and previous threads can be difficult to access easily we are grateful to Stephen for bringing this topic forward and warning newer caravanners about a major pitfall regarding towing.

Not everyone who reads this forum is logged on or an active member, many browse for general information before purchasing their first caravan and they can read the points made by our as always knowledgable members without joining, submitting posts or trying to fathom out the machinations of our ancient search engine (something I haven't managed to do yet!)

Oct 22, 2007
Visit site
It's just me then that thinks this was a waste of good bandwidth, no idea what the original post actually meant, loads of speculation then the OP didn't even know the full facts anyway.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
If you passed a car test on or after January 1st 1997 you are limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer up to 750 kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B + E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

If you passed a car test before January 1st 1997 you keep your existing entitlement to tow trailers until your licence expires. This means you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer training combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM. You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750 kgs MAM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Here's one for those who might know.

A post 97 test passer wishes to tow a combination over the post 97 limits.

If they take the towing test in an automatic, does it mean that they can only tow with an automatic or can they tow with any form of gearbox

?????????????????????????????????????

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Here's one for those who might know.

A post 97 test passer wishes to tow a combination over the post 97 limits.

If they take the towing test in an automatic, does it mean that they can only tow with an automatic or can they tow with any form of gearbox

?????????????????????????????????????
Hey Del,

Don't go putting ideas into their heads,

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
it should be the same auto box test means auto box as you should be asked

new laws every day like you hgv dave i to have to have 7 days a year training every year to comply with nvq as hgv is now a nvq also have couarse for stgo 3

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Dean.

I would be interested to know, why you now need 7 days training each year? for NVQ?

As far as I am aware An NVQ 2, takes 25 hours and is a once only,not yearly thing.

As of September 14th, any new HGV driver will have to pass a cpc [certificate of competence]! on top of the theory test and the hazard perception test, this could take 35 hours and will be valid for 5 years,in that time span all HGV drivers new and old will have to renew or do their CPC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts