Driving Licence in France

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
I possess the old style green driving licence, and wonder if I need an International Driving Licence to drive in France. My wife and I are taking our caravan to France in four weeks time and hope I haven't left it too late to get one.

Regards Malcolm & Caryl

Dec 13, 2005
Visit site
From Google:

You can drive in France on your UK driving license. Even if you are living permanently in France, you do not need to exchange you UK driving license for a French driving license.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You can use your normal license but without the newer type and a photo card license if you were unlucky to be stopped the older basic green license may cause a delay.

It is quite common in France to get pulled over for routine checks and even routine Breath Tests with hoards of French police lining the road and breathalising every driver.

The newer standard license just makes it easier.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi Malcolm. I also have a green driving licence, and have driven in France for several years now, although I have not had to show the licence. I understand as long as some visual method of identification is available as well, e.g. passport, then the green licence is acceptable.

I shall again be travelling to France in June on the above basis.

Enjoy your hols.

Trevor M

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I haven't changed my old green driving licence for over 20 years - since we last moved home. We have been driving in France for at least 15 of those years, towing for the past 7 or so. However, I have just changed this for a photo licence (cost

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
I haven't changed my old green driving licence for over 20 years - since we last moved home. We have been driving in France for at least 15 of those years, towing for the past 7 or so. However, I have just changed this for a photo licence (cost

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone. If it's as Jo says, I will use my old licence this year nd consider exchanging it next year for a new one.

Many thanks again.

Malcolm.
The photo drivers licence will do almost any place as picture ID, it saves getting your passport out, and maybe opening your handbag ( if your a lady )leaving yourself open to a pickpocket.

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts