driving to eurodisney..what do we need.??

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
hi guys.. well we finally gone and done it.. we booked to take our kids to eurodisney for a xmas surprise.. all i wanted to ask is..?? seeing as its our 1st time abroad, what do we need to take with us and what do we have to do to car and caravan..?? i have heard we need light deflectors on the headlights.? gb stickers. warning triangles and other bits and pieces.. there is another family going with us ( also new to caravanning) who also have no clue to what we need.. i have also heard we need papers to prove ownership of the car and van ( cris papers i think).. i know we need the usual things like driving licence and such like but the rest is a bit of a dilemma..

im sure there is someone out there that can put our minds at rest and give us some advice..

thanx for any replies i get

from daz and the eager family ( cheers )

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think you've mentioned most. You will also need a first Aid Kit, a set of spare bulbs, I think these are laws in France. It also doesn't hurt to carry reflective vests and of course the most important thing, money.

Mike

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
You seem pretty well set, but consider:

Headlight beam deflectors work better than the black masks - you'll be surprised exactly how much light is lost with a mask

If your car has the new Xenon Discharge headlamps - then you can't use deflectors or masks - you will need to ask you garage to set the lights to "symmetric" pattern - this may a lever under the bonnet.

Driving licence(s) and original insurance documents - Not a copy

You've already thought of the proof of ownership for both car and caravan, and the spare bulbs for both car and caravan. Reflective vests are not a requirement for France (only Spain and Italy) but a good idea anyway.

GB Stickers - must be the full sized GB on white background stickers - or if your number plate has the new Euro style "blue edge with country code" then you don't need a sticker on that vehicle.

The new E111 medical insurance cards - go to the post office now - they will take a few weeks to process - free but you need them.

Obviously passport and credit cards - most motorway tollbooths take credit cards - most Hypermarkets take UK credit cards with PIN Code verification - and if you forget anything you may be able to buy it cheaper in France.

Whilst most European camp sites use the blue IP44 electric hook up, a small number of French camp sites use an outdoor version of their mains socket. Go to a camping or on-line and buy a "Schuko" Euro plug to IP44 adaptor.

A good quality map covering your route - Michelin are the best - and maybe a detailed map of your final destination, or a GPS navigation system with French maps.

Plan your route from Calais to EuroDisney with www.viamichelin.com, it's a free service. Write down the major directions (towns, road numbers) on an index card and keep it close to the driver. Allow 5 hours for the journey - excluding stops.

Driving in towns - if you drive through a town and the next town you want to travel to suddenly disappears from the road signs, just keep going straight ahead - often only alternate directions are posted.

Driving in towns - get used to Toutes (All) Directions and Autres (Other) Directions.

Signposts at road junctions - you've stopped at a set of lights and across the junction, you will often you will see a road sign on the right-hand side of the road ahead pointing left (with your destination town on it) - this does not mean turn left - rather the road ahead is the correct road.

But above all enjoy it, traffic density is just like it was in the 80's

Robert

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
darrell

Best of luck with the trip. One bit of advice for you. If this is your first trip to france DO NOT drive into Paris either with or without the van. Use public transport.

Have fun

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You most definitely need this: http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/CAD06CC0-9BA9-475A-9898-540811D50B3C/4629/VOLUME12005SmlWeb.jpg

Its known as 'The Bible' as it contains everything you need to know about caravanning in France,and if you're not a member of the CC it can be bought at most good booksellers like Amazon for example.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You most definitely need this: http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/CAD06CC0-9BA9-475A-9898-540811D50B3C/4629/VOLUME12005SmlWeb.jpg

Its known as 'The Bible' as it contains everything you need to know about caravanning in France,and if you're not a member of the CC it can be bought at most good booksellers like Amazon for example.
Definitely the best advice around and available even for non-members via the Caravan Club website.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts