Dry Clean the Paintwork

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We now have a hose pipe ban which makes cleaning the caravan very difficult.
smiley-cry.gif

I've seen various reports on the chemicals that do not need water to clean the paintwork.
Do they really work without damaging the paint finish?
smiley-undecided.gif

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I usually only use a hose to rinse the van after washing it with a bucket (same as I do for the cars). A couple of watering cans should acheive the same job. I did the towcar yesterday (sorry, it was my fault it rained) and then leathered and polished it afterwards. No problem.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty. Have a look on Caravan stuff 4u. When we bought our new van her indoors bought a botttle of this dry wash and I can only say its brilliant I think it supposed to do eight washes.The cost was £10.00 but worth it. I should have looked closer for you before I started this post .But yes its good you get a micro fibre cloth to clean with and a micro fibre cloth to polish .
www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk
I hope this helps . Sir Roger.(Sorry Dusty Just checked its gone up to £15 but still worth it )

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi

We've been using the dry washes on and off when needed for about 5 years.
We first used Armoral wipes, then Miracle Dry Wash which I now think is re-named as One Dry Wash and is sold at some of the CC sites. If fact we recently bought our latest batch from the Moreton in Marsh site to clean the front of the caravan.
The warden sold me the last of his stock whilst telling me he was really impressed havingplenty of demand for it.
Anyway used correctly, doing what it advises on the bottle, youi get a really good long lasting polished finish.
Other then this we also have been using some garden sprayers similar to the one above and using Liquid Gold, which doesn't need drying after spraying off. Must admit the finish is (pardon the pun) brilliant, plus it doesn't seem to get streaked as quickly as other wash/waxes we've used.
As a matter of interest we have a local store called Home Bargains where you can get the garden sprayers for £5 in season and they easily as good as the dearer ones I've bought.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am probably one of the most sceptical people when it comes to products which claim to be able to clean and polish without the use of water, and have always steered clear of them.
But..........I have heard of Greased Lightning and happened to stumble across a TV channel which was advertising it with a Buy One , Get One Free and thought ,why not give it a go, so sent for some.
It arrived and I have just used it today and am amazed by the way it works and the finish it gives.
The car had not been washed or polished for about 4 months and was very dirty, but 15 minutes later and a few microfibre cloths and very littleof the product and it looked like it had just come out of the showroom !

So,,,,off to the caravan and give it a try on that,,,,,well,,,,,,,,,it is brilliant,,took all the black marks off with no problem and the shine is unbelievable, and th evan has the dimpled finish, but still shines like never before.

I would now thoroughly endorse Greased Lightning as a superb product which does exactly what it says.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I saw the same TV channel as Damian, and I have just ordered some Greased Lightning as well..... As soon as I have a chance to try it out (its not arrived yet) I'll report back.
Regards
paws

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks boys
I'm ordering the Greased Lightning stuff.
At nearly 8 mtrs a watering can to do the roof is next to impossible. I'd wear out the driveway walking up and down , never mind up and down the ladders.
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi guys,
just caught up with this thread, and thought hum I am sure I have heard of this stuff before
smiley-cool.gif

been and looked in garage up there top shelf "greased lightning showroom shine" never used still in box with 2 cloths,
is this the same stuff you guys are talking about ??, if so I will give it a wizz on the van.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We bought some stuff called "Wow" as it had a review in the CC magazine. It was only afterwards we found out it was not a review, but rather an advertisement frame to look like a review. Wow what a waste of money as it it does not remove black streaks. Had to use Fenwicks to do the job.

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dusty
Just come back from 10 days toring somerther dirty little lanes in Ireland arriving on site with a very muddy caravan. I first came across One Dry Wash a couple of years ago at the NEC and was very dubious about its claims but nevertheless bought some on an offer. Ive got to say its a brilliant product especially to keep your van shining after a muddy trip. Easy and quick to use leaving a brilliant finish. I still use a bucket and brush at home(no hosepipe ban here yet) but One Dry Wash is a very able Substitute.

Jim

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi there, we bought the Greased Lightening from Caravan stuff 4 u when we stayed in Malvern first week of Easter Holidays - fab stuff. OH polished the car with it on Sat (without washing first) and it has come up with a brilliant streak free shine. He is hoping to do the van for the first time before our next outing in a fortnight. Highly recommended.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
OH washes the caravan roof with a hose, (not now though), and we dry wash the rest of the 'van.

If he spreads the stuff on, I go behind and clean it off. We can do the whole thing in about an hour - not bad for an 8m caravan!!

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi All
I have been using Showroom Shine for 2 years and swear by it. Easy to use and a lot quicker than washing and then polishing. The one thing i would say is, as the instructions say, don't use it on the windows as it leaves them with a greasy film. When i first purchased it and tried it i was so impressed that we got one for each of our Son's to use on their cars.

spardoe

Administrator
May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

Thought this You Tube video might be of interest. Car polish company, AutoGlym, have put together a 'How to' video on washing your car during the hosepipe ban. There's some useful tips on there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEykIUkUIFo

Happy waterless washing!

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Cleaned our van with one dry wash on Tuesday, not because of hose pipe ban ( it has rained for a month non stop here) but it is kept in storage and I can't tow it to the hose pipe with my little car. It did a good job, my Mum helped me and she was very skeptical but was pleased with the result.

I will give the greased lightening stuff a go next time I had not heard of it before.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Damien

I only wished I'd discovered this stuff years ago. It's brilliant. I didn't realise it was also a wax polish.
I'm very pleased and impressed
smiley-cool.gif

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
Used One Dry Wash last year and it was brilliant kept the van clean and polished all year. Beginning of this season OH washed it with cleaner and water but when we get a dry weekend it'll get another going over with the One Dry Wash (plenty still left).

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

The post that you submitted did not load successfully.
This often happens when some versions of Internet Explorer are used to access the forum because the coding on IE is incompatible.
To correct this please follow the instructions from the sticky post

Alternatively you will have fewer problems if you use a different web browser such as Firefox or Google Chrome.

TRENDING THREADS