Dual Mass Flywheels

Sep 11, 2007
Visit site
What cars do NOT have "dual mass flywheels"? I had a VW Passat and the flywheel had to be replaced at 25K miles. The problems were than made worse as they didn't retighten the drive shaft and when that came off it broke the engine mounting. Could have something to do with the fact it was the last job on Friday afternoon.

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
Automatics do not have them and make much nicer towcars, unfortunately you will find that most modern diesel manuals have dual mass flywheels so it either go petrol or auto.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Automatics do not have them and make much nicer towcars, unfortunately you will find that most modern diesel manuals have dual mass flywheels so it either go petrol or auto.
Have Skoda with DMF and it also has a dsg box, which i call an auto , am i wrong?.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Does anyone know why these flywheels are failing?

are they under engineered?

Is it the Vag group that is having the most failures?

just asking.

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
All manufacturers can have this sort of problem, not just Vag.

What makes matters worse is abuse of the clutch, ie smoking. the heat build up is transferred to the flywheel surface which has springs for dampening. these springs have a special grease that repeated abuse of the clutch seems to damage, leading to failure of the DMF.

There is a good reason they are fitted to diesels with huge low down torque, and thats to stop what happened to Roberts car,ie gearbox damage.Ironic really.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
All manufacturers can have this sort of problem, not just Vag.

What makes matters worse is abuse of the clutch, ie smoking. the heat build up is transferred to the flywheel surface which has springs for dampening. these springs have a special grease that repeated abuse of the clutch seems to damage, leading to failure of the DMF.

There is a good reason they are fitted to diesels with huge low down torque, and thats to stop what happened to Roberts car,ie gearbox damage.Ironic really.
Hi Ray

See post two below "Clutch failure Ford Max.."

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Alan

Apr 24, 2007
Visit site
All VW groupe vehicles VW Skoda and Seat now have the DMF fitted, and they have a tendancy to go wrong.

There is some very good news though, if your under warenty, ask your dealer to fit the single flywheel and clutch system, if your warenty is out it will cost you

Apr 24, 2007
Visit site
All VW groupe vehicles VW Skoda and Seat now have the DMF fitted, and they have a tendancy to go wrong.

There is some very good news though, if your under warenty, ask your dealer to fit the single flywheel and clutch system, if your warenty is out it will cost you

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Stephen - why put yourself through all this stress. Get an Auto, they don't have clutches and are much better as towcars IMO.

Before every treehugger tells me about the planet and higher fuel cost - what about the cost of repairs and rescue when these DMF's pack in, not to speak of the noxious gasses every time you reverse the van.

From the way this post is going it's not if your DMF flywheel goes it's when, so should they be on the list of banned substances for vanners?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The DSG is an automatic, but still uses conventional gears and clutches. These can burn. If you wanta true auto you have to go for one with a torque convertor. It will be slightly less efficient than a manual or DSG but is far more reistant to wear during manoevring, pitching or in heavy traffic. Volvo geartronic, Mondeo 6 speed, C5 6 speed and BMW are all conventional autos with good tow weights too.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I belong to several Citroen forums where many of the owners have cars fitted with DMF's, my own included. It's very rare when a problem arises from a defective DMF, and even then it can be often be traced to abusive treatment. On the two ocassions when a replacement has needed to be done, both were fitted with four-part clutch kits. That includes a standard flywheel, and new driven and pressureplates.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
John Douglas well pointed out,DMF dont deserve the bad hype they get.The sad thing is they arnt required as seen.But infact is a big money making scam for the likes of Valeo,and other o.e makers.I.d be interested to know actually how many people have held one of these in there hands instead of just relaying what the dealers have told them to justify their costs.

I can justify the above of course,by the simple fact we,ve fitted a few on the clients request after first measuring them,finding their still in tolerence,but the client is allways right non the less.Do repairers measure them or just replace them anyway?

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
Still find it so funny when people go on about the so called DMF problems/faults,and call for a replacement to be made back to single plate clutches, and solid flywheels.When you consider the actual ratio between cars fitted with them and actual faults,then number becomes so small its laughable, unless its you having the problem that is.

What is even more laughable is consider the amount of posts/threads taken up by this DMF topic, and how out of context it is when you take time out to consider the real villain..

Thats actually the electronic system and all its tentacles.

Considering all the electronic mumbo jumbo systems we now use to run motor vehicles, and their complexity and indeed costs when trying to find all the different type of faults that spring up and cost a arm and a leg to replace, that's after paying a small fortune to trace the fault in the first place, sorry that should read second place because usually ever other sensor or component that was not faulty has been already replaced at cost to you!

I am surprised at the totally lack in quantity of threads and posts on this topic?

Does everybody drive cars that always have warranty in place?

Because the electronic gremlin system makes the DMF system almost look saintly.........

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The huge torque that modern diesels give out, is pushing the transmissions of some cars to the limit and beyond.

I remember not that long ago VW only having a gearbox that would only handle 225 pound feet. So outputs were electronically limited.

I have no in-depth knowledge, but it stands to reason, that engine management systems if set up correctly, should prevent most failures.

But how many people do you see holding the car on the clutch at junctions etc, i allows use the hand brake, rather than abuse the clutch.

If xtrails have a DMF i have never heard of a single failure.

I don't see Auto as the answer, the cost of a auto gearbox, is very much more than a manuel.

Along with poor economy, blunted performance, the need for more frequent gear box oil changes, perhaps a oil cooler, lack of engine braking on some autos, etc.

I remember reading a road test on a vag car fitted with a DSG box that returned 5 mpg less than the manuel tested previously.

Along with having two clutches, i rely don't see the point, if you intend to tow.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
G your bang on there,funny because ive also thought the same.for the amount of vehicles using them the problems are small,cases arise i.e vibration,straight away DMF is to blame,is it nothing to do with maybe the engine management,pehaps an injector starting to fail.Has the engine gained power,overloading the DMF?These things happen.

But whats more interesting is the price poor joe public pay to have the rectification carried out,and blame the o.e supplier,nothing to do with the dealer mark up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts