Ease of using full caravan cover

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.
Just contemplating purchasing a caravan cover whilst its in storage.
Are they easy to to put on and take off and I would imagine its a 2 person job using long poles,or maybe possible on my own?
Returned a month ago from Brixham and already its covered in leaves,black streaks etc... (I did wash the van and roof prior to our holiday).
Any info please?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have never used a caravan cover as caravans are designed to stay outdoors. However our neighbour at the storage compound was putting one on with his missus.
There was a gentle breeze with a couple of gusts and they were really struggling being elderly using poles etc. We were at the caravan for about 20 minutes and when we left they were still trying to get it over the roof properly.
Many people buy them used them once and then they end up in the garage or attic, but it is always your choice. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi.
Just contemplating purchasing a caravan cover whilst its in storage.
Are they easy to to put on and take off and I would imagine its a 2 person job using long poles,or maybe possible on my own?
Returned a month ago from Brixham and already its covered in leaves,black streaks etc... (I did wash the van and roof prior to our holiday).
Any info please?
I always use Fenwicks overwintering fluid from November onwards irrespective of if the van is being used or not. Detritus seems to stick to it and the van can look grubby come springtime but it washes off a treat and fewer black streaks to deal with. Okay if you don’t mind arriving on site looking less than pristine. 😂

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had our caravan done with Paintseal and it still looks as good as new 3 years later. Dirt washes off with rain and black streaks easy to remove.
Our windows are treated with Vuplex which again protects the windows and prevents small light scratches.

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Pro-Tec cover, bought in 2015. It fitted the van I had at the time and was easy to put on as it has a roll-up back panel and you get two telescopic poles which fit into 'D' straps sewn on the cover. It does really need 2 people to fit.
I changed the caravan and had a new section sewn into the cover to make it longer by a local canvas workshop. Now I'm changing the cover again as I've bought another caravan. Pro-Tec won't do alterations.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Ours is covered all the time when in storage as I’m under trees. Mine has a zip on each corner and is easy to fit solo in about 5 minutes. Unzip one front and rear zip on the same side. Using a step ladder and a broomstick flick the side onto the roof. Do the same on the other side. Flick the front onto the roof then go round to the back and roll it up as it you pull it off. If you fold the sides in as you roll it up you finish up with a rolled up awning about 3 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter. Refitting: throw the rolled up awning onto the roof, unroll and fold the sides and front out, the broomstick helps here. Zip up the corners and tie the straps in pairs onto the broomstick and throw them under the van from one side to the other. Pull it up nice and tight and tuck the bottom edge under the van.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Since owning a caravan i have always use a 4ply breathable cover through out the winter months and it has a zip on each corner the A frame is covered ... . our caravan is 12 years old and it still looks great.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Since owning our caravan, They have been stored inside a barn, The only offending pidgeon has departed a few years ago, but spider droppings can be worse.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Out of respect for her age I started using a full cover this year. A pro tech with a decent 7 layered material to avoid scuffing, breathes and is waterproof. So the label says🤪. Reality says it is dead easy with two people. Alone , I think I will struggle.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Before we put our 4ply breathable cover on our caravan we put this on .
Purpleline protector for caravan Flue (small black one)
Purpleline protector for Status 530 aerial (big black one )
You can see there are two we had them for some years now.
it suppose to stop you ripping the cover on them so far it has.

Attachments

• DSC02927.JPG
    DSC02927.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I've used a cover on both of my caravans; they were worlds apart so was the ease of covering them.

My little Ci Cadet 10 was covered with the smallest generic Maypole cover I could buy, but it was way too big! had to tie the excess round the hitch. I could pull it over the caravan myself, but getting into the caravan was difficult with the cover on (due to it not fitting right). It was also so unwieldy and thick; folding it up was hard work.

The tailored Pro-Tec cover purchased for my Sprite is much thinner and lighter, so is less of a work-out to manoeuvre and can be rolled back up into its storage bag more easily. But its still a beast, being over 7metres long. I can de-bag and prep the cover for application, but it needs 2 people to drag it over; the roll-up rear panel and lifting poles make it much easier though. I can remove it by myself, but def needs 2 people and right weather to apply. I wouldn't even try on a windy day.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure why I'm plagued with the black streaks🤔

I wash and polished it(including the roof) 7 weeks ago.
Had one trip to Brixham then back into storage.
I used Auto Glym polish after washing.

The black streaks seem to be mainly on the rear with a few at the front.

Maybe something to do with the overhanging trees.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I'm not sure why I'm plagued with the black streaks🤔

I wash and polished it(including the roof) 7 weeks ago.
Had one trip to Brixham then back into storage.
I used Auto Glym polish after washing.

The black streaks seem to be mainly on the rear with a few at the front.

Maybe something to do with the overhanging trees.

I don't think it matters what you do. Black streaks seem to appear in areas where water runs off in a concentrated manner. I only get them on the front and back panel and down the sides if the water runs off the top of a window or the 'SPRITE' lettering on each side.

However, your cleaning method is not applying much in the way of protection. The AG Polish is an abrasive with fillers to give a good shine/appearance, but is not a wax or sealant. I can't be arsed to wax and buff 50sq meteres of caravan so I use a ceramic spray sealant by GTechniq. They've just released a version for application via hosepipe, developed for marine use, so treating the whole caravan and roof can be accomplished in minutes. This does help with minimising black streaks and helps with removing, just by washing, the ones that do appear.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Years ago I had a good quality cover for a 545 size caravan. It took two of us to put on using yard brooms tucked inside the front corners and then one walking from front to back each side. Before fitting we had to protect the sharp corners of gutters etc, and remove spike of the Status antenna. Once in place it was an excellent fit but fitting had to be on a calm dry day.
Since then, and getting much older, I have reverted to a good clean and coating of either the winter stuff from Fenwicks or more recently a strong solution of their Bobby Dazzler.
While having no criticism pf the quality of the product I bought frankly it is not suitable for us elderly folk - combined age over 160 years.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
It does sound like hard work RayS.
Our combined age is 120 so young ones really🤣.
No.....I think after reading all the replies,I reckon (as Custard Avenger advised),maybe try his suggestion with the sealant by GTechniq or similar.
I've tried Fenwicks to remove the streaks but without too much success.
We don't have enough room to store caravan at home and its right under trees in storage compound.
(I think thats where the problem lies).

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We had our current caravan done with Paintseal prior to delivery and it works. Very easy to clean caravan as dirt washes off easily. Even a good rainstorm leaves it sparkling clean.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts