Easter Hols

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
We've got the first 2 weeks of April off and fancy doing a tour of the North Coast of Scotland. We won't have the kids with us (yee-ha) as there off to Nana and Granpa's so all we need is electric, clean showers and a nice view.

I've had a couple of ideas from the 'Camps with Sea Views' book, any recommendations??,

Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gavin,

We're also heading north again this year.

Last year one of the sites we stopped on was

www.ardmair.com

Approx 5 miles north of Ullapool.

Grass pitches facing onto the loch....beautiful scenery.

Good toilet facilities.We were there in May to avoid the midge season and the site was almost empty.

The Caravan Club site at Brora on the east coast is also very pleasant.Walk through a gate and on through the golf course and then a huge beach to walk on.

See if these web-sites help you:-

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

www.scottishcampingguide.com

www.clachtollbeachcampsite.co.uk This last one we are aiming to visit .Never been before,but reviews all seem to be excellent.

Hope this is of use to you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gavin,

We're also heading north again this year.

Last year one of the sites we stopped on was

www.ardmair.com

Approx 5 miles north of Ullapool.

Grass pitches facing onto the loch....beautiful scenery.

Good toilet facilities.We were there in May to avoid the midge season and the site was almost empty.

The Caravan Club site at Brora on the east coast is also very pleasant.Walk through a gate and on through the golf course and then a huge beach to walk on.

See if these web-sites help you:-

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk

www.scottishcampingguide.com

www.clachtollbeachcampsite.co.uk This last one we are aiming to visit .Never been before,but reviews all seem to be excellent.

Hope this is of use to you.
PS.

Check the opening dates carefully....a lot don't open until later in the season.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Lady Maureen and Frank,

Thanks for the replies. I hope you've managed to avoid this nasty flu-bug/virus thing thats doing the rounds.

We're looking for sites mainly around the North Coast,Ardmair looks like a nice site, a possibility for the first site.

From there we'd be looking for somewhere around Scourie/Durness and finishing between Bettyhill and Thurso.

Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gavin,

We're free of the 'flu and raring to get away in the caravan again.

You seem to be doing a similar route to us this year.

There is a site at Durness....Sango Sands caravan site.If you read the reviews on www.ukcampsites.co.uk they should give you an idea.....haven't stopped there yet but intend to this year.Bettyhill NO NO NO.We drove past the site which is right at the edge of the road and thought it looked awful.

There is a site at Dunnet Head owned by the council and run by the Caravan Club which was refurbished last season and was closed at the time we wanted to go.

We also used the Club Site at Altnaharra,Grummore but that has no facilities apart from elecs.and Iknow you wanted facilities.

If you want any info on shops let us know.

Where abouts is your home base ?? We took 3 weeks to do our holiday,staying an avarage of 3 days in each place and this will be our 3rd year!!!The scenery is just breath-taking ( we live in the Glasgow area.)so are lucky enough to have it on the doorstep.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

I agree with Lady Maureen re Bettyhill. There was a peculiarly shaped ***-end in the toilet block first time I visited the block. It was still there when we left some days later. The showers were in such a state I wouldn't use them. (No shower in the van in those days). However, this was some years ago and things may have changed although I doubt it. Pity because the sea views were good.

Rob S.

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Oh well, i think we'll give Bettyhill a miss then.

I'm even luckier than you Lady Maureen, we're in Inverness so it's not too far a journey for us. The downside is that we're going to Devon and Cornwall for the summer, so a wee bit more mileage there!

Unfortunately it looks like we'll miss out on Ardmair, as we're going on the first 2 weeks of April, and it doesn't open until the end of April. Pity, as it looked ideal for the first few days.

Durness and Dunnet Bay are going down as two possibilities as is

http://www.gruinard.scotshost.co.uk/
Gavin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gavin,

Have just finished our May 2007 itinerary.Glasgow/Culloden Moor/Ardmair Point/ Clachtoll / Sango Sands/ Altnaharra/ Dunnet Bay/ Culloden Moor/ Aberlour Gardens/ and then Kintore to see relatives.That's giving us 3 weeks again and I might add to that! ( We are footloose and fancy free as we are retired ) :eek:)

We were in Devon & Cornwall in Sept/Oct so might do Herefordshire or the Cotswolds in the summer.....anyway,happy caravanning.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Gavin,

Have just finished our May 2007 itinerary.Glasgow/Culloden Moor/Ardmair Point/ Clachtoll / Sango Sands/ Altnaharra/ Dunnet Bay/ Culloden Moor/ Aberlour Gardens/ and then Kintore to see relatives.That's giving us 3 weeks again and I might add to that! ( We are footloose and fancy free as we are retired ) :eek:)

We were in Devon & Cornwall in Sept/Oct so might do Herefordshire or the Cotswolds in the summer.....anyway,happy caravanning.
Hi Maureen, we will be in Altnaharra 2nd June. I expect you will have been and gone by then!

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

Even if Ardmair is closed check out Broomfield Caravan Park in Ullapool - its not far from Ardmair and, although it is a very informal site it is a favourite of Molly and me and we prefer it to Ardmair. Went there once for three days and stayed three weeks.

Possibly not one for the toffee-nosed but just great - and there is an award winning fish and chippery just round the corner for the non-toffee-nosed.

Rob S.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wendy,

It looks as though we are going to be ships that pass in the night!!!I shall need to leave a calling card " Maureen was here".Must say I'm looking forward to going again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

Even if Ardmair is closed check out Broomfield Caravan Park in Ullapool - its not far from Ardmair and, although it is a very informal site it is a favourite of Molly and me and we prefer it to Ardmair. Went there once for three days and stayed three weeks.

Possibly not one for the toffee-nosed but just great - and there is an award winning fish and chippery just round the corner for the non-toffee-nosed.

Rob S.
Rob,

Your "nephew" Kenny will vouch for the fact that we are not toffee nosed!! :eek:)

I prefer to eat toffee.Ha,Ha.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
Oh, I get sooo envious of people going to Scotland, especially the northern highlands!!

Those sites Lady M recommended look fab. have a great time.

Im in Devon - so we might pass you on your way down when we go up to Skye and Lochalsh!?

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Chelsea,

You been keeping a low profile since your team has gone down hill a little !!!. We used to live in Plymouth but now live in Aberdeen. I think I would still rather be down South for 11 months of the year and up North for May/June no midges then.

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chelsea,

Where have you been?? Haven't seen you on line for ages :eek:)

We were in Devon ( South Hams ) in Sept,and the little lanes nearly drove us dotty.People complain about the single track roads in Scotland,but in most cases we can at least see round the corner.....an impossibility where we were.Apart from that we enjoyed ourselves.Then went on to friends near Looe before coming back home.Can't wait to get away again.The weather today is foul....came out the supermarket and the wind was so strong that I wrapped my arms round a bollard as I thought I was going to get carried away !!!! That would have been a sight for sore eyes :eek:)

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
hi Frank and Maureen,

I do pop in every so often on here for a nose. Everything fine here apart from the weather - fed up with this wind and rain now. We last went away in the van in December (Dartmoor in 100mph winds - big mistake).

Glad you had a good time down here Maureen, I prefer the scottish roads too! our hedges are too high down here!

Work at the airport pretty busy, Flybe are expanding all the time to new destinations. We do Inverness now - but not from Exeter :-(

otherwise we'd be flying up all the time :)

we might even brave scotland in the van this year (persuading hubby)

Frank - team isnt doing too badly, we can catch up 6 points easy. just hope we dont lose our manager - I know he's arrogant and outspoken - but the league would be dull without him.

ps - gladly do a swap from Devon to scotland for 11 months ;-)

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the help and advice folks. I've booked Gruinard Bay, Sango Sands (Durness), and Dunnet Bay for the April holidays.

Plenty fresh air and lots of walking! Can't wait,

Gavin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts