Easter Weekend

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Came onto CL and pulled on grass section to pitch. As I turned on I realised we may be in trouble. Even with AWD the wheels were spinning. Stopped and tried to reverse. Nada! Had to continue forward and do a big U turn to get onto some hard standing where we are parked at present. A bit crowded as the hard standing is not very big and there are three of us crowded onto it. Generally it only holds two, but one of the units is a motor home. The 4th unit is parked in the owner's yard.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Came onto CL and pulled on grass section to pitch. As I turned on I realised we may be in trouble. Even with AWD the wheels were spinning. Stopped and tried to reverse. Nada! Had to continue forward and do a big U turn to get onto some hard standing where we are parked at present. A bit crowded as the hard standing is not very big and there are three of us crowded onto it. Generally it only holds two, but one of the units is a motor home. The 4th unit is parked in the owner's yard.
A grass pitch in these conditions shows great faith in the Jeeps (and drivers) ability. Glad it worked out okay and you didn’t get stuck. One of our neighbours couldn’t reverse her Fiesta off of her level front lawn where she parked it to make space for some visitors. At least Saturday and Sunday look better weather. Enjoy the break.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A grass pitch in these conditions shows great faith in the Jeeps (and drivers) ability. Glad it worked out okay and you didn’t get stuck. One of our neighbours couldn’t reverse her Fiesta off of her level front lawn where she parked it to make space for some visitors. At least Saturday and Sunday look better weather. Enjoy the break.
I think that if it was a normal sedan or even a motor home they would have been stuck. Strangely before I embarked on the grass I did a short walk and it seemed okay, but then I am under 100kg and the car and caravan over 4000kgs. LOL!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think that if it was a normal sedan or even a motor home they would have been stuck. Strangely before I embarked on the grass I did a short walk and it seemed okay, but then I am under 100kg and the car and caravan over 4000kgs. LOL!
Also tyres make a big difference, but wet grass and a heavy trailer, bad news.
I hope it drys out for everyone.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We don't have those heavy duty mud tyres like General grabbers as find them noisy on tarmac. At least there seems to be some sunshine today and next few days are supposed to be dry. (y):D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I got stuck three times on different CLs in Cumbria. Two of the times on level ground with estate cars having Haldex systems and All Seasons tyres carrying the TPMS symbol as well as being stamped M&S. But as we know M&S means nothing and the All Season tyres were very directional not designed for mud anyway. The problems were caused by very heavy overnight rain. So the caravan was extracted in reverse by using the mover and reducing the noseweight.

The third occasion was in a generation 1 Sorento with BFG AT tyres but I knew things didn’t look promising as we entered the CL which had a downward slope ahead of us and a transverse slope from right to left and the pitches were at the top. It was the freshly mown wet grass laying on the surface that concerned me. So I circled the field intending to go out and pitch in the farm yard or go elsewhere. But at area before the gate progress stopped, and no amount of 4wd guile would get us out. Happy days. 😃

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
Hi all
We arrived at Brookside country park on Wednesday got set up then it started to rain ! So I decided to leave the first attempt at putting up the new Isabella until Thursday .
So got it all unpacked and continued with confidence having watched the Magnum video on you tube a million times 🤪
I took my time because it was a bit breezy but got there and I must say it was a lot easier than I thought even though I made a couple of mistakes
Well I must have got it right because it was really windy yesterday afternoon/night and it’s still standing 🤣
Having now done it I’m confident now that I could easily put this up as quick if not quicker than my former air awning with the added benefit that’s its better quality and stronger
Here are a couple of pictures as promised
Have a lovely weekend wherever you all are 👍

Attachments

• IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    104.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all
We arrived at Brookside country park on Wednesday got set up then it started to rain ! So I decided to leave the first attempt at putting up the new Isabella until Thursday .
So got it all unpacked and continued with confidence having watched the Magnum video on you tube a million times 🤪
I took my time because it was a bit breezy but got there and I must say it was a lot easier than I thought even though I made a couple of mistakes
Well I must have got it right because it was really windy yesterday afternoon/night and it’s still standing 🤣
Having now done it I’m confident now that I could easily put this up as quick if not quicker than my former air awning with the added benefit that’s its better quality and stronger
Here are a couple of pictures as promised
Have a lovely weekend wherever you all are 👍
Unfortunately where we are the hard standing is so hard that even trying to drive in rock pegs is a No No so cannot even erect the windbreak to keep the dogs in. At this time the grass is too soggy to even contemplating using that section.

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
Unfortunately where we are the hard standing is so hard that even trying to drive in rock pegs is a No No so cannot even erect the windbreak to keep the dogs in. At this time the grass is too soggy to even contemplating using that section.
Someone mentioned that the screw in pegs with an impact driver might work but having never tried I’m not sure

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Someone mentioned that the screw in pegs with an impact driver might work but having never tried I’m not sure
We have the metal screw pegs and the drill and no luck. We also carry a masonery drill from the times when we used CC hard standing and even that will not get through. Really need to get up the windbreak because of the pup who has cloth ears.

Update using drill with mega bit managed to get the windbreak up so no more worries about an escaping puppy.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add earlier on we were having a chat with the owner of the CL. She mentioned that they had been full for the weekend, but with all the rain they had to phone and cancel a number of bookings.

One woman that she spoke to and advise about cancelling due to state of pitches was very upset and told the owner that she must find them another site and also pay for it due to the inconvenience. Owner told her that she had no control over the weather! Cheek of some people.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to add earlier on we were having a chat with the owner of the CL. She mentioned that they had been full for the weekend, but with all the rain they had to phone and cancel a number of bookings.

One woman that she spoke to and advise about cancelling due to state of pitches was very upset and told the owner that she must find them another site and also pay for it due to the inconvenience. Owner told her that she had no control over the weather! Cheek of some people.
She could have let the woman come and se how she liked a sodden wet gras pitch that would get worse as they walked around setting up. But the disadvantage would be damage to the CL owners grass. Some people!!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Obviously not seasoned caravanners. And would probably complained about sodden pitches.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts