EBAY-THE GREAT BAILEY WARRANTY BALANCE RIP OFF?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
having for several weeks trying to purchase a bailey caravan i am getting fed up with people advertising on ebay saying that the warranty is transferable,thus you the user receiving the balance of the 6 year warranty.

as it stands bailey of bristol have told me that any bailey caravan registed before september 2005 is non transferable on the balance of the 6 year warranty.

even dealers are telling me that should i buy from a dealer i need to take out a warranty cover should the van be say at june 2005 series 5 ranger/pageant

so if you have a 21/2 year old bailey and wish to sell your van the warranty ain"t transferable.this in itself reduces the value of the van to the next user.

clearly a number of dealers are not telling people this.SO THE CLEAR ANSWER IS PURCHASE ANYTHING AFTER 1 SEPTEMBER 2005 AND YOU GET THE BALANCE,PURCHASE ANYTHING BEFORE AND ITS SOLD AS SEEN.SOMETHING THAT YOU SHOULD REFLECT IN ITS ASKING PRICE

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

I sort of see where you're coming from here as warranty with Bailey's are a contentious point often dare I say they have almost force the dealer to correctly assemble the van after it left the factory.

However Bailey are assemblers of the vehicle and most of the Mechanical, Electrical and operation parts are made by a huge variety of different manufactures. If you water pump goes wrong your far better to take it up with Reich or who ever made it than with Bailey. The same for everything made by a OEM.

MH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it's any consolation Dave, the warranty that comes with Bailey and the majority of British caravan really isn't worth much anyway. After the first year items such as soft furnishings and anything that that may wear, are not covered. Items such as your fire/heater may need for you to complete the enclosed warranty leaflet for the item, for the 3 year guarantee to be activated. The 6 year limit covers very little, mechanically or electrically and refers in the most, to water ingress. Still a little warranty is better than none, but don't loose sleep over it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave

You mention the date September 2005, is anyhthing after this date ok to transfer? Or does the ruling still apply?
Hi Allyson,

Don't worry. After september 2005 the warrenty is tranfereable,but it your case because your Burgendy is brand new you don't have a problem if you sell it on.I hope you are not going to sell it on as you have bought a great van,listen to Keith and Richard who both have Senators and who's advice I took which was good they gave the good and bad point's. You won't have many problms and if you do I am sure the the dealer will sort them out.

By the way has your van arrived yet,I am waiting with baited breath too see what you think!

Keep posted. Our's does not turn up till January.

Rob R

Aug 15, 2005
Visit site
If it's any consolation Dave, the warranty that comes with Bailey and the majority of British caravan really isn't worth much anyway. After the first year items such as soft furnishings and anything that that may wear, are not covered. Items such as your fire/heater may need for you to complete the enclosed warranty leaflet for the item, for the 3 year guarantee to be activated. The 6 year limit covers very little, mechanically or electrically and refers in the most, to water ingress. Still a little warranty is better than none, but don't loose sleep over it.
Forget the manufacturers warranty they are usually pretty wothless you are covered by the various consumer/customer acts

as follows:

Sale of Goods Act 1979. Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994. The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002.

Key Facts:

Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

Hiope this helps it does not cover the transferability issue, however.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave,

There are two ways at looking at this, I presume that the prices quoted on ebay are severall thousand below dealers price.

reason I ask is because I haver always purchsed my vans through Bailey registered dealers. My local dealer has Baley vans up to and including 3 year old vans, that they offer a full 2 year warranty.

Royston

G

Tend to agree with Lol. Warranties are a bit of a mixed bag, and usually the main thing that may be valid after 3 years or so, is water ingress. Most of the equipment is subject to the manufacturer's own individual warranty.

I suspect that up to about 3 years the dealer will be 'interested' in assisting you especially if he/she has hopes of another sale at some stage. After that I suspect you are pretty much on your own, and one should not just blame caravans in this respect, it is pretty standard across all our 'throwaway' society. Even 'Extended Warranties' are pretty much not worth the paper they are printed on.

Sometimes in life you have to accept that what you are doing has risks, and if it goes wrong, then you will have to pay to get it fixed.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Allyson,

Don't worry. After september 2005 the warrenty is tranfereable,but it your case because your Burgendy is brand new you don't have a problem if you sell it on.I hope you are not going to sell it on as you have bought a great van,listen to Keith and Richard who both have Senators and who's advice I took which was good they gave the good and bad point's. You won't have many problms and if you do I am sure the the dealer will sort them out.

By the way has your van arrived yet,I am waiting with baited breath too see what you think!

Keep posted. Our's does not turn up till January.

Rob R
Hi Rob

We are going to collect it on 16th Dec. Cannot wait.

We are still looking for someone not to far away to go over the New Year but with entertainment, but no joy.

Will have to wait until January.

Keep in touch Rob, hope your van is delivered on time.

Allyson

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
I don't agree with the statement " the warranty that comes with Bailey and the majority of British caravans isnt worth much anyway.

I can only speak regarding Bailey caravans. I have owned 3 consecutive Senators from new and kept each of them for 3 years. Very litle has gone wrong but when it has ,even at 33 months old, it has been covered by warranty and has not cost me a penny. The only exception I can see is the soft furnishings.However knowing the weakness of caravan soft furnishings on buying a new caravan we always go to Tockfield Ltd in Derbyshire and have the sprung insides removed and Reflex 500 memory Foam put in.The Bailey warranty is factory backed and is very comprehensive.Complete 3 year warranty giving complete peace of mind.The 6 year body warranty not only covers water ingress but also delamination.

The only stipulation is that the caravan must be servised annually within certain time schedules. The price I get for my caravans when trading them in for a new one is excellent.I have dealt with the same dealer Golden Castle caravans for 26 years and have had 9 new caravans from them in that time with excellent service.

HAMER

TRENDING THREADS