Elddis rear panel cracks and caps

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2019
Visit site
In answer to your question, yes the thread is nearly 3 years old. The time that has passed will not stop rear panels cracking and the thread is still open so what is your point?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
In answer to your question, yes the thread is nearly 3 years old. The time that has passed will not stop rear panels cracking and the thread is still open so what is your point?
When a thread is quite old (over 6 months) it's usually much better to start a new thread even if it covers the same subject matter.

Mar 3, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone
I'm new to this just wanted to know the outcome of some of your problems. I bought an elddis avante 860 back in 2019 new and I have had problems with the front cracking where the grab handles are, we started a claim with in the first year of having the van. It whent in for repair in 2022 for the front to be replaced. Just before I took it in I have given it a good clean and noticed the back panel wad also cracking at the top. They have put a new front on but they saying the claim for the back was too late so as a goodwill gesture they will put end caps on. I didn't want this as it is only covering the problem up not rectifying it. But wad told that's all they could do. The front of the caravan was replaced 7 months ago and I have noticed that it is cracking in the same places. I have spoken to the people who we got it off and they have sent all my pic to elddis now they have come back with its out of warranty nothing they can do. Can anyone point me in the right direction

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Use CRA 2015 and move to inform the dealer you are rejecting the caravan. Clearly the front repair hasn’t worked. Which has a website that drafts a letter based on your inputs. Contact Citizens Advice too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The CRA 2015 stands for Consumer Rights Act which was introduced in 2015 in the UK. It sets out a number of condition and performance tests which a retailer and consumer must comply with when you contract to buy something it also applies to second hands goods purchased from a retailer. The CRA can only be used against the parties to the contract to purchase, which is usually the seller and or finance house, It cannot be used against a manufacturer unless they sell to you directly

to summarise:- for the period of liability ( 6 years in England, Wales and NI) 5 years in Scotland), Goods must be :-
  • As described
  • Free from design manufacturing and workmanship faults
  • Fit for purpose
  • Of adequate durability
If the goods or services you purchase fail any of the tests within then you can seek a remedy from the retailer and or finance house (Not the manufacturer)

Its not always plain sailing, and the tests are a bit more specific, which is why you should seek advice from reputable sources such as Citizens Advice, or the likes of the Consumer Association (publishers of Which? Magazine) who have guidance on the subject and can be more trustworthy than posts on an anonymous forum.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone
I'm new to this just wanted to know the outcome of some of your problems. I bought an elddis avante 860 back in 2019 new and I have had problems with the front cracking where the grab handles are, we started a claim with in the first year of having the van. It whent in for repair in 2022 for the front to be replaced. Just before I took it in I have given it a good clean and noticed the back panel wad also cracking at the top. They have put a new front on but they saying the claim for the back was too late so as a goodwill gesture they will put end caps on. I didn't want this as it is only covering the problem up not rectifying it. But wad told that's all they could do. The front of the caravan was replaced 7 months ago and I have noticed that it is cracking in the same places. I have spoken to the people who we got it off and they have sent all my pic to elddis now they have come back with its out of warranty nothing they can do. Can anyone point me in the right direction

Under CRA 2015 you are entitled to replacement back panel as it is a manufacturing defect. What is the reason they are giving for the cracks on the back panel? Surely when inspecting the front panel they should have picked up at the time the cracks on the rear panel?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone
Swift and I believe Coachman have used conformal “ covers” to cover cracks in the top corners of rear panels. They seemed to have worked but the job should also include drilling fine holes at the ends of the cracks to prevent propagation. I am surprised that Eldiss don’t cover the rear panel cracks under the warranty as my five year old Sprite developed cracks across the top and sides of the rear panel just within warranty and Swift fitted a new panel.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I don't share the "hangup" of using these rear corner caps; agreed they should not be needed but this is the UK caravan industry, little "engineering design wise" is ever well sorted, it's all cheapness, style impact lead.
As stated, if the crack propagation is address with a decent sized drilling at its "front" then a cover flexibly bonded over the crack plus some will avoid the real damaging impact of damp. With the better bonding products like those PU ones from Sikaflex [there are others], if not all squeezed out gives a nice compliant seal that can live with the movements inevitably happening.
The other massive plus that the cap fitting route brings is the panel and van is not further disturbed inviting way more serious long-term implications.
Replacing panels featuring at least one failed design concept with another one, has one reasonably likely negative outcome, plus doing it brings its own highly damaging risks. The recracking front panel here being a case in point.

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Swift and I believe Coachman have used conformal “ covers” to cover cracks in the top corners of rear panels. They seemed to have worked but the job should also include drilling fine holes at the ends of the cracks to prevent propagation. I am surprised that Eldiss don’t cover the rear panel cracks under the warranty as my five year old Sprite developed cracks across the top and sides of the rear panel just within warranty and Swift fitted a new panel.
Eldiss only give a 12 month guarantee on the front and rear panels so they would be no claim under this. Hopefully the caravan was bought from a dealer in which case the position is as suggested by the Prof.
If bought privately, unless the seller lied, I am afraid getting any money back is unlikely.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Eldiss only give a 12 month guarantee on the front and rear panels so they would be no claim under this. Hopefully the caravan was bought from a dealer in which case the position is as suggested by the Prof.
If bought privately, unless the seller lied, I am afraid getting any money back is unlikely.
I think all the other brands have the same stipulation on warranty regarding panels?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think all the other brands have the same stipulation on warranty regarding panels?
The position has then got worse as I had a front panel and rear panel replaced on a Bailey in years 1 and 2. The Swift Sprite had its rear panel replaced just coming up to its 5th year under warranty. But I know that if you buy a pre owned caravan many insurance backed war offered by dealers, or bought privately exclude cracks in plastic panels.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The position has then got worse as I had a front panel and rear panel replaced on a Bailey in years 1 and 2. The Swift Sprite had its rear panel replaced just coming up to its 5th year under warranty. But I know that if you buy a pre owned caravan many insurance backed war offered by dealers, or bought privately exclude cracks in plastic panels.

In 2016/17 we had cracks on our front and rear panels resulting in us rejecting the caravan. We then started to look for a replacement and looked at many different brands including imported caravans like the Knaus.

Specifically we checked the warranty in the owner's manual and all the UK manufactured caravans had that warranty exclusion on panels after the first year. It may have change din later years as this was way back in 2017.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As far as Sabbers will be concerned it the warranty that his caravan has, and what other manufacturers may or may not warranty is irrelevant to his situation.

There is no reason to assume that every manufacturer offers exactly the same T&C's to their warranties or that the manufacturer offers the same package with every product they make, so always check the ones supplied with your purchase.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had Elddis - totally disliked it
I suppose likes and dislikes are a personal thing to each owner, but what comes through on this thread and others are the failures of QC/QA and the difficulties associated with trying to get defects rectified. that spans more than just Elddis. In fact some members speak very favourably wrt their Elddis caravans as regards the comfort, layout and features. But that's a separate matter compared to discussions on quality and rectification.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We also brought a Elddis Crusader twin axle caravan from a dealer he even delivered to our seasonal pitch and set it up .(few years ago)
A few days later we notice a leak the cassette door had warped he replaced it straight away we thought his customer service was excellent

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As always we really only hear about the failures of caravans, and not about the hundreds of vans that do not have problems, the last two years latest problems seem to be the joining strips for the wall paper coverings.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As always we really only hear about the failures of caravans, and not about the hundreds of vans that do not have problems, ...
Whilst personally I have not owned a caravan that leaked, (Lucky me) when I look what has happened to my wider family out of 10 caravans 6 had ingress through structural or manufacturing issues well before they were 6 years old!

Professionally, whilst I was involved with appliances rather than caravan construction, I was aware of how many caravans we saw that clearly had at some time needed work to correct panel or ingress problems.

That was all over 20 years ago, but despite changes to the construction methods which might reduce the onset of rot or the weakening of the structure, water ingress is still one of the most distressing issues that a caravan owner faces, whether it's caused by joint failures or panel cracks, it still often occurs well before the caravan would otherwise be considered to have time expired.

The effects of caravan panel failures on their owners is significantly greater, because of the stress of the claims process, and knowing the manufacturers seem to make arbitrary decisions about their liability in these cases, often blaming the customer for driving through a pot hole, which in reality neither the manufacture can prove nor the owner disprove. But because the manufacture writes their own T&C's and is judge and jury in such cases, owner knows they're probably going to have their claim rejected, and face a large repair bil.

If the caravan industry has as it claims improved it's design and construction methods and that has reduced the numbers of these failures, then they should be in a position to look more favourably on the "few" cases and cause less angst to the caravan owners.

It's only fair to make new aware of the industries poor reputation, and I don't mind being accused of spreading this message, untill the manufacturers prove they really do take customer satisfaction seriously, achieving vastly better reliability and durability proven by vastly reduced warranty claims and a more positively responsive customer service process when they do get it wrong.

This business should be focused on making customers holiday dreams come true, not on pushing out unfinished product.

Reactions: Raywood
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whilst personally I have not owned a caravan that leaked, (Lucky me) when I look what has happened to my wider family out of 10 caravans 6 had ingress through structural or manufacturing issues well before they were 6 years old!

Professionally, whilst I was involved with appliances rather than caravan construction, I was aware of how many caravans we saw that clearly had at some time needed work to correct panel or ingress problems.

That was all over 20 years ago, but despite changes to the construction methods which might reduce the onset of rot or the weakening of the structure, water ingress is still one of the most distressing issues that a caravan owner faces, whether it's caused by joint failures or panel cracks, it still often occurs well before the caravan would otherwise be considered to have time expired.

The effects of caravan panel failures on their owners is significantly greater, because of the stress of the claims process, and knowing the manufacturers seem to make arbitrary decisions about their liability in these cases, often blaming the customer for driving through a pot hole, which in reality neither the manufacture can prove nor the owner disprove. But because the manufacture writes their own T&C's and is judge and jury in such cases, owner knows they're probably going to have their claim rejected, and face a large repair bil.

If the caravan industry has as it claims improved it's design and construction methods and that has reduced the numbers of these failures, then they should be in a position to look more favourably on the "few" cases and cause less angst to the caravan owners.

It's only fair to make new aware of the industries poor reputation, and I don't mind being accused of spreading this message, untill the manufacturers prove they really do take customer satisfaction seriously, achieving vastly better reliability and durability proven by vastly reduced warranty claims and a more positively responsive customer service process when they do get it wrong.

This business should be focused on making customers holiday dreams come true, not on pushing out unfinished product.

Well said and manufacturers need to read the above!

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
I purchased a elddis explore caravan and after 3 years stress cracks appeared on the rear panel I was told panels do not come under the warranty after the first year ...the dealer didn't want to know and Elddis didn't to know I felt like a little fish in a massive pond .....I can't blve the T.V.s watch dog have never been involved in this scam rip off.....consequently I sold the van on and bought a old second hand caravan for half the price ....I would never deal with Elddis again or the caravan dealers that sell their vans . I lost alot of money on that caravan .....NEVER AGAIN.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I purchased a elddis explore caravan and after 3 years stress cracks appeared on the rear panel I was told panels do not come under the warranty after the first year ...the dealer didn't want to know and Elddis didn't to know I felt like a little fish in a massive pond .....I can't blve the T.V.s watch dog have never been involved in this scam rip off.....consequently I sold the van on and bought a old second hand caravan for half the price ....I would never deal with Elddis again or the caravan dealers that sell their vans . I lost alot of money on that caravan .....NEVER AGAIN.
You had the right to claim from the dealer and the dealer would have been responsible. I am not sure if you raised the issue previously with us on the forum as we may have been able to help to resolve the issue with minimum cost to yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS