Electric or Battery

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if someone can help.

We have been caravanning around 3 years now, my wife and 2 small children. We spend our weekend on CL sites, and always use sites with electric hook up. I realise there are some well located sites that do not have electric hook-ups. Therefore when using the battery only, my worry is the battery running out.

How long can a leisure battery last ?

Enough for a long-weekend ?

What are the pro's and con's of using battery only?

I assume I would need to remove after every trip and re-charge ?

Andy advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
How long will a leisure battery last? The answer is "it depends".

What size (in Amp Hours) battery do you have? 60AH, 80Ah or 100AH - your answer to this question will make quite a difference - one will last almost twice as long as the smallest (and weigh twice as much too)

What appliances will you run on the battery?

Lights - figure 1AH for every light you have on for every hour of use)

CD/Radio - figure 3AH (or more) for every hour of use

Fridge - run this on gas

TV - figure 5AH for every hour of use

Water pump - figure 10AH for each hour of use - but check the AH rating on your pump

So if you have 4 lights on for 2 hours on each of the 2 nights - that's 4 x 2 x 2 x 1AH - or 16AH

If you watch TV for 2 hours on each of the 2 nights - that's 2 x 2 x 5AH - 20AH

So just using those appliances for 2 hours each night, that's removed 36AH from the battery.

If you need a lot of power, think about buying a solar panel (ask or search for advice) to silently recharge the battery for "free" during the day.

Robert

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
I agree with everything Rob-jax has said, but to give you an example we have a 110ah battery and NO tv. Just using lights pump etc. we can survive for at least a week on our battery. Yes you will need to re-charge your battery at the end of this time but if your next siteis on electrics your in-van charger should cope with that and running your usual equipment. IF you take a tv, depending on the type, it will dramatically shorten the time you can run on your battery.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It depends on what equipment you have in your van. My previous van was an ABI, and in summer I could get 10 days out of an 110 ah battery, with frugal use of TV and lights. However, my current van, a Fleetwood Volante has a boiler and electric flush toilet, and I only get just over a day- so I have a small genny to top it up now. In cold weather, any van will deaw the battery down, as the fan takes 12v power on a blown air system.

Norman

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks for your for your responses. Just one more question Del. The 13w Briefcase Solar Panels. Should this suffice if I don't overuse ny caravan battery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts