Electrical diagrams

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On checking the circuit diagram for our 2018 Cruiser I noticed that it refers to coupling as being a BPW IDC coupling. It has an ALKO coupling with ATC. A further check shows that the same applies to all subsequent years including 2021? Also the diagram does not show how the battery is connected into the elecrical system, but perhaps I missed it? This makes it difficult to determine whether the 12v battery is required to complete the electircal circuit.

Does this apply to other brands of caravans where the electrical diagram for your carvan is very sparse and not correct?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most caravan manufacturers will (if they include Cct diagram) show a generic diagram which covers a number of models. Consequently they are not always totally accurate.

With modern caravans that use Power Supplies (PSU) with regulated and smoothed DC outputs, rather than just Battery chargers, they don't always need a battery to allow most of the caravans standard 12V appliances to function. If you add other items like a caravan mover, then the PSU wont cope without a battery.

If you want to be sure aske your supplier for details.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Most caravan manufacturers will (if they include Cct diagram) show a generic diagram which covers a number of models. Consequently they are not always totally accurate.

With modern caravans that use Power Supplies (PSU) with regulated and smoothed DC outputs, rather than just Battery chargers, they don't always need a battery to allow most of the caravans standard 12V appliances to function. If you add other items like a caravan mover, then the PSU wont cope without a battery.

If you want to be sure aske your supplier for details.
Probably get a better answer to electrics from a 5 year old than any supplier. LOL!
I can understand a generic diagram for a model, but surely not for all models from a brand? Actually I know Bailey caravans required the 12v battery to complete the circuit otherwise nothing works properly for some reason. Not sure if this is till the case.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I should have added that the ATC takes power from the tow vehicle, so teh caravan battery has no involvement with it.

I cannot comment on the most modern vans as its some time since I have had any direct dealings with new caravans, but in the past some manufacturers did not publish circuit diagrams in the hand book, they had a single sheet , which simply copied the NCC's v publications.

If you are having a problem with their wiring scheme in your caravan. its irrelevant what other manufacturers do. so your route to service is through your supplier.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I should have added that the ATC takes power from the tow vehicle, so teh caravan battery has no involvement with it.

I cannot comment on the most modern vans as its some time since I have had any direct dealings with new caravans, but in the past some manufacturers did not publish circuit diagrams in the hand book, they had a single sheet , which simply copied the NCC's v publications.

If you are having a problem with their wiring scheme in your caravan. its irrelevant what other manufacturers do. so your route to service is through your supplier.
The reference to the ATC was an aside demonstrating that they never bother wih updating diagrams.
Apologies for nto being clear, but I am not having a problem with any of the electrics. I was wondering why one cannot see on the circuit diagram how the battery connects into the circuitry in the caravan to power various 12v appliances. If you do not know, no problem as it was a question just for interest.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
On checking the circuit diagram for our 2018 Cruiser I noticed that it refers to coupling as being a BPW IDC coupling. It has an ALKO coupling with ATC. A further check shows that the same applies to all subsequent years including 2021? Also the diagram does not show how the battery is connected into the elecrical system, but perhaps I missed it? This makes it difficult to determine whether the 12v battery is required to complete the electircal circuit.

Does this apply to other brands of caravans where the electrical diagram for your carvan is very sparse and not correct?
Hi Buckman,
Your post doesn't surprise me,I've always maintained these diagrams are not drawn by people with knowledge of drawing electrical diagrams.I think they are drawn by children !

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem with the manuals is that they are generic and apply to a number of variants of the same van, but not all the vans have the same layout or items connected to the wiring loom.

As a caravan engineer I have to deal with the results on a daily basis, and it is very frustrating .

Quote " think they are drawn by children ! " Thats not fair on children !!! they can do a much better job !!!

Reactions: Buckman and JTQ
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The point on whether a battery is needed to complete the electrical system is one is not needed, but you should have one. The battery will be needed to smooth out the supply and prevent problems that might occur if it is not there, but things do work without it. Having said that we did have a problem with the battery failing when in France and removed it until we got back a few days later without problem.
Eldiss did change from BPW to ALKO couplings in I believe 2017 and it rather looks as they forgot to update the handbook.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts