Electrics

nje

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I am on my maiden voyage, from Scotland, new to motorhomes, we are at the side of lake Como in Italy which is lovely but tends to be rainy!

My question: if we sit in the van while it rains, is is safe to leave the ignition switched on so we can power the music / CD in the dashboard. We are connected to site electric supply and the van and leisure batteries both appear to be charging.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Nick

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi

If you are sure that your 'vehicle/starter' battery is charging then it is probably OK with the key in the accessories position. i.e. The glow plug light or ignition lights should not be on.

My Chausson does NOT charge the starter battery on hook up and I believe it depends on the model, so best to check. Did you measure the voltage across the starter battery? It will be around 13.9v or so if charging.

Having said that, I've never had a problem listening to the radio for a few hours, but I carry a small mains charger just in case. The original radio in my Transit used to switch off automatically after an hour, which was good if one fell asleep.

Are you coming back via Switzerland? I live near Lake Constance, so can gladly give you a few tips.

Regards

Alan
Brummie in Switzerland

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Yep, if the lights are on, the system could be drawing considerable current.

Strange that you don't have an accessories only position. Perhaps get an auto electrician to rewire the radio. I was considering fitting a 2 way switch in the radio feed to select either starter or leisure battery according to use.

Wouldn't be too difficult. Just need to pluck up courage to remove the dash board a little.

Alan

nje

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again, I'll ask the dealer when we get home. It seems strange there are dedicated speakers in the living area but you can only use them, it seems, when you are driving.
Cheers,
Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts