Electrolux Caravan Fridge

Mar 31, 2006
Visit site
Help!

We have an electrolux fridge(battery, mains and gas combi type) in our caravan. Never thought much about it in all our caravanning days. This week it just decided to pack in. The element at the back is not getting cold.The caravan is about 7 years old.

Can anybody advise me? Can you get this part mended or do you have to buy a new fridge and get it fitted. Has anyone any suggestions why it suddenly decided to stop working. If it is a new fridge can anyone tell me roughly how much they cost. The one off switch still lights up.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Cheers

Rachel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rachel,

More info is needed:

Does it work on gas?

Does it work on 240 volts?

Does it work on 12 volts?

Given this info, I am sure that some will be able to help without the need for you to replace it........very expensive for the built in one.

Mar 31, 2006
Visit site
Haven't tried it on gas or 12v recently. But its on mains when I noticed it decided not to work but the light still came on. Will try the fridge by gas next weekend to see if that works.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it needs a professional to get it working .....

I once had a camping fridge serviced by a local chap. I suspect such people are dotted around the UK - often retired refregeration engineers etc.

The guy I used is in Leatherhead - if this is within a reasonable distance for you mail me at malxk@tiscali.co.uk for details. If not, ask your local caravan dealer who they use for broken fridges. That's how I found this chap.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rachel,

I had the same problem with our fridge, It turned out to be the electric element had failed, got our local dealer to fix it.

The cost of a new fridge is around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't understand Thetford being so penny pinching not to fit lamps.

I couldnt tell whether mine was receiving 12 volts or 240AC so I bought 2 LEDs from Maplins, one 12vdc and the other 240vac and fitted those in the fridge panel.

It invalidated the warranty but so what? It made the unit fit for purpose.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A few years ago fridges always had warning lights but so many people complained about the light at night that both 12V and 230V warning lights were omitted by Thertford and Electrolux/Dometic.

I have fitted warning lights to my friends Thetford and my own Electrolux (previous van)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I haven't got a habitation relay, so I have a very simple test for my fridge on 12V. With the engine running, I switch on one of the 21W caravan interior lights. I then flick the 12v fridge switch, and the interior light dims a little. This is better for me than a warning light, as it means that the fridge is drawing, rather than just receiving power at the element but possibly not using any.

This should work for anyone with an older caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The last check I make before setting off is to see if the fridge is working on 12V

The warning light on the fridge lets you know that its working even when a habitation relay is fitted

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That is the whole point John, there are no lights on the later models and the interior light (if fitted) runs from the caravan leisure battery on gas, 12 volts and 240 so gives no indication that the fridge is deriving it's 12 volts from the car.

The first indication that all is not well is when you open the door upon arrival on site to find your beer is warm!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My last reply was to the previous posting about switching on an interior light etc

I agree totally with your point Rod but later fridges now do have the warning light.

I agree with about no warning lights and that is why I have fitted them for myself and friends.

The Electrolux fridge with the red and green lights was the easiest to use

You could leave the 12V switched on as when it was unhooked from the car it had no 12V feed

You could leave the 230V switched on as when it was on the car it was unhooked from the mains but you had to remember to switch the fridge off in storage if on mains.

My present Dometic fridge has warning lights but a rotary switch so you have to remember to change over.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rachel,

our fridge recently packed in working off mains.We made the decision not to bother getting it fixed as we generally ran it on gas anyway as most caravan fridges work better off gas.

It also uses very little gas,there is the argument that if you are paying for a hookup then why should you use gas.

I worked it out that running the fridge on gas,it would take 5 years usage to match the cost of repair to run on electric as quoted by our dealer.....horses for courses

regards john.b.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My last reply was to the previous posting about switching on an interior light etc

I agree totally with your point Rod but later fridges now do have the warning light.

I agree with about no warning lights and that is why I have fitted them for myself and friends.

You could leave the 12V switched on as when it was unhooked from the car it had no 12V feed

You could leave the 230V switched on as when it was on the car it was unhooked from the mains but you had to remember to switch the fridge off in storage if on mains.

My present Dometic fridge has warning lights but a rotary switch so you have to remember to change over.
John, good to see that you and I have the same opinion regarding new improved systems, such as you have described here and previously e.g central jockey wheels.

Do you happen to know if the red bung type things that are fitted in the cold and hot water pipes under the floor of the caravan are for draining water out of the pipes? If so how do you release them?

Thanks, Ray

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rachel

Can you remember when the 'fridge was last serviced ? I get mine looked at each year with the annual service. Contact Thetford/Dometic/Electrolux and have the numbers (Model, Serial) available off the little plate inside your unit.

Mar 31, 2006
Visit site
Rachel

Can you remember when the 'fridge was last serviced ? I get mine looked at each year with the annual service. Contact Thetford/Dometic/Electrolux and have the numbers (Model, Serial) available off the little plate inside your unit.
Had it checked when it was serviced in February this year. Going to try it on gas this weekend and go from there.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Hi Ray ,Its not all progress !!

You push the inner collar towards the fitting (black bit) and then while holding it in you pull the stopper out

Sometimes you need to us a pair of pliers to push the collar along.

Hope that helps

TRENDING THREADS