Emergency spares

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Recently we attempted our first trip away but had to cancel it as the lights fused on the van.

I got the problem sorted later, but it got me wondering what people take with them in case of emergencies.

I'm going to rewire my van's 12n and 12s sockets and will now stock up on various blade fuses for the car and van.

Does anyone out there take anything else?

Any other potential disasters averted due to thinking ahead and having a spare in the car with you?

Our experience wasn't too bad, as it was only for a weekend, but soon we're off to Devon for a week and that's a long way from home if something goes wrong!

Hope all you experienced vanners can help!

Thanks,

Gary

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Fuses, several of each type/rating - Bulbs, at least one of each type - Cable - Insulating tape - Water inlet o-rings - AA batteries - Spare caravan keys (in car) - Spare car keys (in caravan) - Matches - List of name/address/phone for dealers of your brand of caravan.

Tool roll - First Aid kit - Warning Triangle - Single-use camera - Jump leads - Tow rope - DVM (digital volt meter) - Small screwdrivers - Oil - Cloth - Tyre compressor - Digital tyre gauge - Parking coin change

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gary - it's a 10m roll of cable from a car accessory place - it's not 27/30 amp, probably the next one down - sorry to be vague, can't get to the van to check.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I carry a multi-meter, set of fuses & bulbs, spare pump & regulator, adjustable spanner, pozidrive & flat srewdrivers,roll of duct & insulation tape,pliers,& most important of all, assorted cable tyes,if i can't fix it with that lot it waits til we get home.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Fuses, several of each type/rating - Bulbs, at least one of each type - Cable - Insulating tape - Water inlet o-rings - AA batteries - Spare caravan keys (in car) - Spare car keys (in caravan) - Matches - List of name/address/phone for dealers of your brand of caravan.

Tool roll - First Aid kit - Warning Triangle - Single-use camera - Jump leads - Tow rope - DVM (digital volt meter) - Small screwdrivers - Oil - Cloth - Tyre compressor - Digital tyre gauge - Parking coin change
Hi Roger you been looking at my kit?, add torch and plastic ties several sizes.

May 22, 2008
Visit site
I have fuses, bulbs, mulimeter, molegrips(can come in for all sorts of uses), an assortment of screwdrivers, ductape and insulation tape, anything else I will buy when needed.

Also, first time out this year I had a broken tap, meaning that everytime the shower run water would pour out all over the place, this happened on Friday, we were due to go away Saturday, panic panic panic, I had to seal or bung the pipes into the shower as I could not isolate the water, Mole grips squeezed very tight on the 12mm pipe did the job.

However to avoid this problem again I bought two 12mm end plugs, very usefull as it allows you to isolate the broken pipe if the tap is damaged, you just plug the end of the pipe so no water comes out, at least you can use the washbasin or kitchen sink tap whichever is not broken before you get it fixed.

99P each worth keeping a few just in case

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Gary

The lists all sound good but going by the number of items I recover when the tank is emptied on my CL I would include

Thetford cassette loo top. and waste master tops. They are both just the right size to get stuck in the suction pipe. getting them out is one of the more unseemly jobs of running a CL

David from Suffolk

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I have fuses, bulbs, mulimeter, molegrips(can come in for all sorts of uses), an assortment of screwdrivers, ductape and insulation tape, anything else I will buy when needed.

Also, first time out this year I had a broken tap, meaning that everytime the shower run water would pour out all over the place, this happened on Friday, we were due to go away Saturday, panic panic panic, I had to seal or bung the pipes into the shower as I could not isolate the water, Mole grips squeezed very tight on the 12mm pipe did the job.

However to avoid this problem again I bought two 12mm end plugs, very usefull as it allows you to isolate the broken pipe if the tap is damaged, you just plug the end of the pipe so no water comes out, at least you can use the washbasin or kitchen sink tap whichever is not broken before you get it fixed.

99P each worth keeping a few just in case
Good idea Christopher

I knew somebody who had exactly the same problem, with exactly the same van!!

Turns out, the mole grips saved his bacon

Happy touring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts