Engaging motor mover for security

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
We've ordered a motor mover for our van which we hope to receive soon. Does anyone know whether a motor mover could be engaged and "locked" in place to act as a wheel clamp? Or would this create too much pressure on the tyre(s) to think of using on a regular basis? Hope to hear from anyone who has one.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, it is NOT advisable to think of using the mover as some kind of wheelclamp.

Firstly the pressure applied to the tyres over a long period of time could well deform the tyre.

Secondly, the continued pressure on the mover may have detrimental effects on the rollers and operating gear.

Thirdly, it is very easy for the determined thief to simply slacken the mounting bolts and slide the rollers away from the wheels.

Lastly, there is no way that a mover would be classed as any kind of anti theft device, as it is not one, as even with the rollers engaged, a determined thief would simply pull the van with the rollers engaged, which would terminally damage the motors.

Hope this helps.

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
Thank you. I thought as much, but wanted to potentially supplement existing clamp/hitchlock/alarm, especially reading other pposts recently about the ease of stealing vans.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
David, Good morning,

I was advised by the fitter who supplied us with our motor mover ,after apply the movers to the tyres before moving the van under the power of the motors always put the crank handle that locks the mover to the wheels inside the the car on the floor of the driving side, because on many occasion due to banter with the missus i have discovered upon going to drive the car and van away, the handle on the floor which ment the motors where still locked onto the tyres.

On many sites I have seen combinations try to pull away with there motors still clamped to there tyres.

Roy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts