Engine management light?

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Ironically on the journey home last night my Air Bag Warning light came on. My own diagnostics didn't pick up any errors regarding this so its into the garage next week.

I suspect it wouldn't pass the MOT with this fault showing but amazingly for years we had none of this technology.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Quite right it will fail the MOT, but I for one accept we need much of this technology, we are way safer with air bags in a crash, and a 90 odd percent drop in NOx with Adblue etc is another great technical advance in what is achieved. As are DPFs.

"We" need this technology, my main gripe with it is that repairing it ought to be "open source" info, that I see as its biggest negative issue.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Rats can scale bird feeders unless the barrier tray is of good dimensions. Why not put out rat traps in your garden, the sort that use poisoned bait. We had a spate two years ago when simultaneously two neighbours had rear extensions built, and one other decided to remove lots of old decking. Clearly the rats had been disturbed but we all got together and placed baited poison traps around the gardens, and stopped feeding birds. . Took about three weeks and after that no more rats. Bait had been taken so it was probably a case of killing some and others moved to new territory. But if you are still having issues from the neighbour I would report them again to EH.
We have bird feeders in the garden hanging from a tree. Larger birds simply sit underneath and eat any seed that drops so get rid of the fallen seed before any rats can get at it.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have bird feeders in the garden hanging from a tree. Larger birds simply sit underneath and eat any seed that drops so get rid of the fallen seed before any rats can get at it.
Yes just like ours. Mr pigeon stomps around grabbing the fallings as do blackbirds and starlings too.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I took my car to the garage for them to run the diagnostis on the Air Bag system which was showing a fault. Their system indicated a fault with the Spiral/Clock Spring Cable. This is the cable in the steering wheel assembly that allows the conections to still work as you turn the wheel one way or the other. Problem was that after they cleared the fault it never re-appeared.

They charged £60 for this but said that if the fault occurs again they wont charge for further diagnostics. MOT due in a couple of weeks and they'll run the diagnostics then anyway if nothing happens before that.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Jeep dealer phoned and diagnostic check done. Apparently a faulty glow plug. Car has done about 72500 miles. Told them that they might as well change all the glow plugs which is not cheap.
We had the same issue on our previous 2005Jeep and no one local to us was keen to do the glow plug changeover, but eventually found someone. The software in the car recognised that a new glow plug had been fitted and kept getting messages telling me to get a software update.
Forgot to add that from discs and pads require changing and quoted nearly £600. Sob! The discs were last changed in 2016 so have done 35k. I am guessing that is about right fro the mileage?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
See #4. Same thing for me . Glow plug no 5. Six new glow plugs and Labour came to £164.00. Local non main dealer garage. Hope your bill isn’t too bad.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just a bump up in relation to my other thread. Same fault code P0741 was showing when EML came on when towing down to Somerset about 2 weeks ago although it had come back from dealership for the issue to be resolved.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just a bump up in relation to my other thread. Same fault code P0741 was showing when EML came on when towing down to Somerset about 2 weeks ago although it had come back from dealership for the issue to be resolved.
Have you seen this? Does this code apply to the whole Jeep range? I

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Have you seen this? Does this code apply to the whole Jeep range? I
Excellent read regarding the issue. We do not use motorways very much which is probably why it took awhile to show up and also only shows up when towing on motorway.
I think the dealer saw the two codes the other being P0675 fault code which is showing an issue with cylinder 5 glow plug. They repaired the P0675 fault and then cleared both codes.
Prior to us breaking down completely in Dursley, a couple of days ago after arrival in Somerset I logged in to OBDII to check and the fault code P0741 was back there although EML had gone off. Never came back on towing up to south Gloucestershire from Somerset, but I took it very easy as no rush as we would have been too early at the current campsite.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Got my AIr Bag warning light fixed last week. Cost £448 which did include the diagnostics and re-charging the air conditioning. The part that goes in the steering wheel, known as a Squib Ring, cost £248. Cheaper versions on the internet but most probably knock offs from the Middle Kingdom and not worth taking the risk.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Got my AIr Bag warning light fixed last week. Cost £448 which did include the diagnostics and re-charging the air conditioning. The part that goes in the steering wheel, known as a Squib Ring, cost £248. Cheaper versions on the internet but most probably knock offs from the Middle Kingdom and not worth taking the risk.
How exactly did the squib ring fail Sam?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Not sure how much you know about the Squib Ring, also known as a Clock Spring, but it carries the electical signals from the steering wheel controls and also for firing the air bag. I've not taken one apart but I guess from the name, Clock Spring, the cable is wound in a spiral inside the cassette so that it can wound/unwound as you turn the steering wheel.

Mine was not a permanent fault but came back after a couple of days so I suspect that there was an intermittent connection or broken wire somewhere.

If some of the steering wheel controls e.g. Cruise Control, Horn, Volume etc don't work then this could point to the Squib Ring. Some also report it being mechanically noisey as you turn the steering wheel.

There are some videos on Youtube on how to replace it but I didn't fancy getting hit in the face with the Air Bag if I did it wrong. :)

1657960442713.png

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What I find strange is that the "Charging system light" never came on at all before the Jeep died and this normally indicates a malfunction with the alternator?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts