Engine management light?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Articles by the AA, RAC, Nationwide Fuels and others say if you do run out the car will still run but with lower performance but it will not restart once the engine has been switched off. But it may be different for various makes/models and “ yes” not all cars can be just filled up by the driver, and some Audis require a minimum of 5+ litres before the car will restart and run normally.
Why ignore the manufacturers advice?

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why ignore the manufacturers advice?
I have not said to ignore the manufacturers advice. All I’m saying is that contrary to some views the car will not stop when running out of adblue. It goes into a lower power mode but if switched off it will not restart until a minimum quantity of adblue is added. Clearly with the dashboard warning acdriver would have to be a Richard Head to get to a run out situation.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
But Clive you have contradicted and questioned the manufacturers advice. I for one would not listen to the AA or RAC instead of VW in my case.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
But Clive you have contradicted and questioned the manufacturers advice. I for one would not listen to the AA or RAC instead of VW in my case.
Now now, you Boys, a message like that from the AA or RAC, is inappropriate as different manufactures will have there own systems.

Shut down systems so that when AdBlue is not injected into the fuel system as to prevent the engine running other wise the "No" levels are not as advertised and would risk prosocution ( no spell check )by athorities

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To unilaterally dismiss RAC, AA etc isn't logical, even though I agree that the car makers advice is paramount. But this link from VW UK clearly states the position. It will continue to run without adblue but it will not restart once switched off. There's a similar one from MB UK Syntner.

IEarly Adblue systems were more difficult to refill or top up needing dealer inputs, but most modern ones are driver refillable. Also if the tank were to empty it may need purging/bleeding. But it wouldn't be beyond the designers capability to ensure that when the system showed empty a minimum quantity was left in the tank to obviate the need for bleeding etc. My 2010 Volvo D5 had such system to show engine oil at the correct level, when in fact to protect the cars engine during failed DPF regeneration Volvo decided a reduced sump oil quantity was required.This allowed at least 0.5 litre of fuel to sit it the sump without sounding a high oil level alarm. That is the beauty of electronic systems they can be configured relatively easily.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Now now, you Boys, a message like that from the AA or RAC, is inappropriate as different manufactures will have there own systems.

Shut down systems so that when AdBlue is not injected into the fuel system as to prevent the engine running other wise the "No" levels are not as advertised and would risk prosocution ( no spell check )by athorities
Adblue does not go into the fuel system. Its part of the Selective Catalytic Reduction system and used downstream of the fuel system.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
To unilaterally dismiss RAC, AA etc isn't logical, even though I agree that the car makers advice is paramount. But this link from VW UK clearly states the position. It will continue to run without adblue but it will not restart once switched off. There's a similar one from MB UK Syntner.

IEarly Adblue systems were more difficult to refill or top up needing dealer inputs, but most modern ones are driver refillable. Also if the tank were to empty it may need purging/bleeding. But it wouldn't be beyond the designers capability to ensure that when the system showed empty a minimum quantity was left in the tank to obviate the need for bleeding etc. My 2010 Volvo D5 had such system to show engine oil at the correct level, when in fact to protect the cars engine during failed DPF regeneration Volvo decided a reduced sump oil quantity was required.This allowed at least 0.5 litre of fuel to sit it the sump without sounding a high oil level alarm. That is the beauty of electronic systems they can be configured relatively easily.
Sorry Clive that’s lost on me. If my engine gets switched off in that scenario I’ve had it. The VW Dealer in Birmingham was very specific about the warnings for the Adblue and the repercussions. That’s good enough for me. I could be in the middle of no where in Sutherland. What then?? I’m not sure what this discussion is really bringing to the table 🤔🤔

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry Clive that’s lost on me. If my engine gets switched off in that scenario I’ve had it. The VW Dealer in Birmingham was very specific about the warnings for the Adblue and the repercussions. That’s good enough for me. I could be in the middle of no where in Sutherland. What then?? I’m not sure what this discussion is really bringing to the table 🤔🤔
The answer to your question is, you should have bought a 2014 SantaFe instead of your Towrag. 😂 No need for AdBlue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here is an interesting artical, if you can believe Wiki.
I always thought UREA was used in ships exhaust sytems first. OC over to you.

Yes it was initially used in ships diesel engine system under rules introduced by the International Maritime Organisation MARPOL regulations.

Here's a link for anyone with time on their hands.

selective-catalytic-reduction-scr-reactors-for-ships-types-working-principle-advantages-and-disadvantages

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
OC, I think we still have pitches for the October Woosie fest, you can show a picture of you last caravan, you would be most welcome. Then we can all chew over the postings that the forum has had.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
To be sure, the Adblue mention I made in post #16 was specifically related to an Ablue feed fault. Nothing to do with running out or getting low. So not sure how it sparked this debate.

At 2013 my car does not use Adblue, but a previous Puegeot 4007 2009 had a strange system. I don’t know if it was Adblue or something else. But this was in a shallow tank which held a bladder full of the stuff which lasted 80,000 miles. In my case the bladder split at 40,000. It was a dealer replacement job.

John

• Wow
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
To be sure, the Adblue mention I made in post #16 was specifically related to an Ablue feed fault. Nothing to do with running out or getting low. So not sure how it sparked this debate.

At 2013 my car does not use Adblue, but a previous Puegeot 4007 2009 had a strange system. I don’t know if it was Adblue or something else. But this was in a shallow tank which held a bladder full of the stuff which lasted 80,000 miles. In my case the bladder split at 40,000. It was a dealer replacement job.

John
As all threads move around, we will be onto when the Crayon Factory in Bedford stopped production of the ADBlue colour.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

John
It was probably a tank for the DPF regeneration fluid. This was a system used instead of injecting extra fuel into the engine, or injecting fuel downstream of the exhaust manifold. It was for regenerating the DPF.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
VW told me two warnings. 1500, 1000 then at 500 engine cuts out and needs “dealer” computer to reset😜
The engine won't cut-out, even when the Adblue is empty - what happens is that the engine won't start when it's empty - doesn't need a dealer reset, just add 6 litres of Adblue, or more, then switch on engine for 30 seconds without trying to start the engine, then switch off and use normally from then.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The engine won't cut-out, even when the Adblue is empty - what happens is that the engine won't start when it's empty - doesn't need a dealer reset, just add 6 litres of Adblue, or more, then switch on engine for 30 seconds without trying to start the engine, then switch off and use normally from then.
Thanks Roger. That is a very useful piece of information. Makes you wonder why the VW Dealer didn’t know this

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts