England

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
What a disaster, lost to penalties again, Rooney sent off mainly due to that cheating s**t Ronaldo, Beckham off injured, no strikers left and a Ref from Argentina.

Why can't we take penalties? not even Sven can answer that one, we have got a squad of extremely talented players who can't play together, oh well there's always next time.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Not such a disaster we have got rid of Sven a multi million pound disaster. As for Ronaldo I think he has played his last game in England. I can't see United fans ever letting him kick a ball again without him being booed off the park. Rooney who is that ???? or what is that. He should be in the circus or maybe he is.

Frank

ps For sucess look for Goalkeepers who can save penalties.

Mar 22, 2006
Visit site
I am as disapointed as many BUT Rooney DID bring his foot down in an agressive manner in a very sensitive area (I winced!). For that he deserved to be sent off. There have been discussions about wheather or not the ref saw it, did Ronaldo tell him, was it the assistant ref - in reality it was the correct decision regardless of how it was reached.

Having said all of that I have a large element of sympathy for Rooney, it looked to me that the agression was born out of frustration. The amount of pressure placed upon one individual was imense. The choice of squad line up was wrong. Rooney is still a young man (a fortunate one, granted) and we as a nation expect him to become fitter and fitter all the time, this will increase levels of agression and when put into a situation where he is aware that everybody thinks of him as the kingpin his own sense of self importance will also increase.

To begin with I wasnt a Rooney fan but to be honest he has grown on me, I believe he has become a better player and more "restrained". Living his life in the spotlight will inflate his ego and this will translate to his performance on the pitch. Controling this should have been a function of the manager and could have been delt with by correct team choices. If you look at the circumstances at the match it was when not if Rooney was going to loose his cool.

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
I am no big football fan, but I do support and am proud of our fine country (the scumbags of England are not included in this support)

Being forced to watch most of the England games by my 10 year old, I have to say though we did not deserve to get where we were.

Our team has no passion, they swan around the field with all the time in the world, no support for each other....you ain't going to score goals with no one up the from end!

English football should be English, give some of the new young lads a chance like that chap from Southampton and god why have we got Sven...he is a bloody turnip! Black, white, yellow, who cares, if your born here great, if not you can't be in our team or run it!

I know why I don't watch it now.....got some paint to watch dry

F

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Here's my two penny's worth,

I too am not a great football fan but am proud to be British and to that end support England (And our near neighbours when they play). I thought England's overall performance was poor at best and we only got as far as we did by a bit of good luck and the skin of our teeth.

Without a doubt Sven is not the man for the job and never has been

Rooney was quite right to be sent off, absolutely no doubt in my mind. I don't blame him as such as he was under a tremendous amount of pressure as the only true forward and in the end just snapped.

That evening I watched the Brazil-France game and it was sheer poetry. They made England out to be nothing short of a pub team in comparison

Jun 8, 2005
Visit site
I am as disapointed as many BUT Rooney DID bring his foot down in an agressive manner in a very sensitive area (I winced!). For that he deserved to be sent off. There have been discussions about wheather or not the ref saw it, did Ronaldo tell him, was it the assistant ref - in reality it was the correct decision regardless of how it was reached.

Having said all of that I have a large element of sympathy for Rooney, it looked to me that the agression was born out of frustration. The amount of pressure placed upon one individual was imense. The choice of squad line up was wrong. Rooney is still a young man (a fortunate one, granted) and we as a nation expect him to become fitter and fitter all the time, this will increase levels of agression and when put into a situation where he is aware that everybody thinks of him as the kingpin his own sense of self importance will also increase.

To begin with I wasnt a Rooney fan but to be honest he has grown on me, I believe he has become a better player and more "restrained". Living his life in the spotlight will inflate his ego and this will translate to his performance on the pitch. Controling this should have been a function of the manager and could have been delt with by correct team choices. If you look at the circumstances at the match it was when not if Rooney was going to loose his cool.
Like they say, you can take the boy out of Toxteth but.......

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
I am a big football fan (been going to chelsea home matches for 10 years -before they hit the big time)...anyway, I knew before we went that England were not going to win the world cup.

The trouble with this country is that the media hype us up so much and make us out to be better than what we are....compare us to Brazil and the other big teams and yes,..we are pretty poor.

The manager was un-inspiring, dull and lifeless and this reflected in the way we played - drull, dreary and defensive..there was no get up and go, no lion heart spirit.

Manager also at fault for not dropping Beckham when Lennon was playing better, he also took a striker that has never kicked a ball in the premiership and never played him! what was the point in that??!!

John Terry simply has to be the next captain (and im not just saying that because he is a cfc player)..he plays with heart and soul and defends like a trojan - there is no-one better to make England great again.

Steven Mclaren, not a great choice from the FA (but then - its the FA)...Sam allardyce or someone with some balls would have been better, but I suppose we should give the new bloke a chance.

Rooney - overhyped, too young and immature to handle this pressue, more of a rugby player than a footballer.

G

As an ex Rugby player I resent that comment Sarah. A little bad mannered lippy runt like Rooney would have been squished by the big boys and taught some self control.

Rugby is about controlled aggresion not football hissy git prima donna strops. Rugby players punch, they don't do girly slaps like football players.

But good point.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Not being a big footy fan, I think our performance did not meet expectation.

But you see realy the team is made up from star turns from different regional teams who rarely get to play with each other but often play against each other.

You don't see a national team playing on a regular basis so that they can become a well oiled machine.

As for the over paid scandanavian, why should he pick up another 400K over the next 4 weeks until the end of contract, boot him out now and don't pay him.

It's a pity the players aren't on productivity bonuses too, they would then become hungry winners. Instead of fat cats.

I say pay them

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
The England Football Coach, Sven Goran Ericksson is on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" and has reached the million pound question.

Chris Tarrant says "Right Sven, this is for one million pounds, and remember, you still have two lifelines left, so please take your time.'

Here's your question: What type of animal lives in a Sett ?

Is it...

a) a badger

b) a ferret

c) a mole or

d) a cuc koo ?

Sven ponders for a while and says, "No, I'm sorry Chris, I'm not too sure.

I'll have to go 50-50."

Right, Sven, let's take away two wrong answers and see what you're left with. " Badger" and "Cuc koo " are the two remaining answers.

Sven has a long think, then scratches his head and says "No, Chris, I'm still not sure, I'm going to have to phone a friend."

"So who are you going to call, Sven?" says Chris.

Hmmm.. I think I'll call David Beckham."

So Tarrant phones David Beckham.

"David, this is Chris Tarrant from 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire'.

I've got Sven Goran Ericksson here, and with your help he could win one million pounds. The next voice you hear will be Sven's".

"Hello David" says Sven. "It's the boss here. What type of animal lives in a sett? Is it a badger or a cuc koo ?"

"It's a badger, boss." says Becks without hesitation.

"You sure, son?" says Sven.

"Definitely, boss. One hundred per cent. It's a badger. Definitely."

"Right, Chris," says Sven, "I'll go with David. The answer's a badger.

Final answer.

"Sven," says Chris, "That's the correct answer. You've won One Million Pounds!!"

Cue wild celebrations.

Next morning at training, Sven calls Beckham across. "Son, that was brilliant last night. I thought I might be taking a gamble giving you a call, but you played a blinder! But how the hell did you know that a badger lives in a sett?"

Oh... I didn't, boss," replies Beckham, "But everybody knows a cuc koo lives in a clock"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve, I think they met realistic expectations. The goals for and against tell the story. They were just to light on fire power and were crying out for a Shearer or Lineker. We are paying the price for having the Premier league dominated by foreign players. This has not just affected England but Scotland who in days gone by could raise a good side just from 'exiles'.

I have watched many of the games in this world cup and cannot think offhand about any paricular bit of skill that took my breathe away. There has been plenty of endevour and play acting but no skill as far as I can see.

G

The manager may be useless, but we were supposed to have some of the best players in the world in our team.

The way the press and many fans talk they actually are the best players in the world.

I failed to spot any world class play from the English players, maybe it was just my ageinng eyes. It even seems that Beckhams sole contribution over 3 world cups is a few free kicks, if Beckham is an inspirational leader I'm as holy as the pope. Somebody that works there socks of like Hargreaves did is what is needed in a Captain.

Can't say that it was an honour and a privilege to have Beckham as Captain all though he believes that is what he got from the job, years of we could have done better is not my idea of a good captain.

If Swen had played the "WAGS" they would probably done as well and we would have had something worth watching for the past few weeks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The manager may be useless, but we were supposed to have some of the best players in the world in our team.

The way the press and many fans talk they actually are the best players in the world.

I failed to spot any world class play from the English players, maybe it was just my ageinng eyes. It even seems that Beckhams sole contribution over 3 world cups is a few free kicks, if Beckham is an inspirational leader I'm as holy as the pope. Somebody that works there socks of like Hargreaves did is what is needed in a Captain.

Can't say that it was an honour and a privilege to have Beckham as Captain all though he believes that is what he got from the job, years of we could have done better is not my idea of a good captain.

If Swen had played the "WAGS" they would probably done as well and we would have had something worth watching for the past few weeks.
'If Swen had played the "WAGS" they would probably done as well and we would have had something worth watching for the past few weeks.'

they'd have certainly had better 'ball control'

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
As an ex Rugby player I resent that comment Sarah. A little bad mannered lippy runt like Rooney would have been squished by the big boys and taught some self control.

Rugby is about controlled aggresion not football hissy git prima donna strops. Rugby players punch, they don't do girly slaps like football players.

But good point.
I agree.. he should be taught some manners!

I meant he was "rugby build", he looks like a rugby player!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
....... well I disagree with some saying Rooney should have been sent off for stamping, infact I don't believe that was the reason he had the red card. Having watched it in slow motion a few times now the ref was going to blow for a foul on Rooney. He was being tackled by two players and although he was on the floor he still managed to keep possession until the Portuguese player slid into a tackle leaving Rooney unbalanced and he brought his foot down on HIS tackle. What was Rooney supposed to do, he wasn't even looking at the player at the time he brought down his foot. I get visuals of him maybe staying balanced on one foot, wearing a tutu and doing a pirouette so as not to hurt anyone. The reason Rooney got sent of was because he pushed Cheat Ronaldo and why people show surprise I don't know because historically most Latino's have been cheats. It's win at any cost, that is the only pride they have. Even in their next game against France the Portuguese hadn't learned their lesson, they were still diving all over the place. I, like probably millions of other English, never thought I would be wanting France to win but win they did and the close up shot of Ronaldo crying filled me with such happiness, retribution - hehheh!. No matter what Fergie says, Ronaldo will be gone. I agree with others views Englands performance was crap but I kept hoping that the next game they would click, sadly they didn't until Rooney was off then they showed their true mettle. What did please me though was for the first time England had found it's identity. There was such passion, loyalty and patriotism among the supporters and for the first time it was the Cross of St. George we saw, not the Union Jack. :O) British born but English by the grace of God :O)

Land of Soap & Water

Mothers washing the kids

Fathers picking his toenails

Grandpa's doing a jig

Ahhhh, makes me so proud :O)

p.s. next time make their wives / girlfriends stay at home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts