Euro-jaunt2013

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi people, we're back! Seems a long time since April 7th, 4,300 towed miles and just under 7,000 in total.France, Holland, Belgium, Germany ,Czech Republic, and Scotland. An epic trip, and enjoyed every moment, but even I must admit that it did feel good to turn into our little lane last week!
We met some lovely people (including our own Lutz, with whom we spent a pleasant day on our campsite near Koblenz, but sadly missed DianneT) and saw some real off-the-beaten track villages.We always try to avoid tourist traps, but we did "do" Koblenz, Meissen, Dresden, Prague(disappointing!),and the Sinnsheim and Speyer museums.
We also attended the European Classic Caravan Rally near Heidelberg, which as always was the purpose of the trip.
One hundred and eighty odd classic caravans from all over Europe, on one site, brilliantly organised by the Camping Oldies Club of Germany.
This event seems to get better each year, so if you've got a pre-1980 van,give it a try.
Not sure how many photographs herself took, but I'm sure she'll get them sorted out, and I'll try to put some on here.
High spot? There were lots.The rally must be number one , and probably the site Campingplatz Oettern near Weimar in Germany, where no-one spoke English, we have very little German, but the evenings spent having the "crack" in the bar and bistro were great fun.The off-road tour of the estate surrounding Camping Eissenbachtal near Koblenz, was a one-off, particularly as it was in a battered old Opel Omega! This was where we met Lutz for lunch, and it transpired that he had based his caravan there some years before!
I must also relate the story about the railway station in Vrane-nur-Vlatava 20 miles south of Prague too.As parking is impossible in the city, we were advised to use the local train. As Herself was in the wheelchair, the campsite owner drove us to the station. I left Herself on the platform and tried to buy tickets, to be met by the only awkward person we met on the whole tour. The booking clerk refused my 10Euro note.with the words "No crowns, no tickets" and shut the hatch!
Oh well, back outside to explain that we couldn't go till we got some Czech crowns, to be met by the Campsite owner, who had realised that this might happen. She had no money, there wasn't time to go back to the site before the train came, so she ran across the road, blagged 100crowns from a shop owner and gave them to us to buy the tickets! Service above and beyond the call of duty!
Getting on the train was itself an adventure, but that's another story!
Back across Germany into France, to be met with very wet or even flooded campsites, we pitched at Camping le Chaumier (probably our favourite French site) for dog-vetting, then across the channel and one night in Dover, one at Gulliver's World, three at Elm Cottage in Cheshire, three at North Dykes near Penrith, brought us to a Royale Club rally at Gatehouse-of-Fleet in Southern Scotland for 8days, then the Trossachs, Fort William, Loch Ness, Inverness, Kinross,North **** again, then another Club rally in Lancashire for a week, and finally back to GoC.
We did have to resort to RAC recovery in Scotland, but the problem was sorted fairly quickly, but painful on the wallet,but it didn't spoil the trip, and could have been so much worse if it had happenned a couple of weeks before!
So, there it is, that's 2013. Now, where's the maps for next year............................................................!
Just one more tale; Setting up the van at one site,I remarked that all the cars near us were British. Quietly, Herself said, "Well, we are in Milton Keynes dear!" Confused, or what?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
That's some trip.....glad you enjoyed it.
Not confused in Milton Keynes.......just giddy with all the roundabouts
smiley-wink.gif

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Write it up and send it with phots to PC mag. It would be a great real life story. You might even get some towing mirrors out of it.
mel

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I might do that Mel. Herself keeps a journal of all of our trips, but her writing is so bad that no-one can read them!
I have started to write the tale for the Royale club magazine, but after two A4 pages in size 12 font, I'm still in Belgium, so i think it would need a book for this trip alone!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Welcome back emmerson
Wow thats some trip, most of mine are less 70 miles let alone 7000
smiley-smile.gif

Glad you had a great time.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Surfer said:
Quite an interesting read but perhaps Parksy can format it into paragraphs to make it easier to read?
I did write it in paragrphs, Surfer, but it didn't come out that way! Gremlins somewhere I expect.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Welcome back Emmerson
smiley-laughing.gif

Mel is right, you really ought to post a couple of pictures on the forum in this thread and I'll ask Stacie Pardoe to have a look at it when she's back at work after next week.
You could become one of Practical Caravan's freelance writers drawn from the readership, they get all kinds of freebies from Haymarket for their caravan stories that are published.
I sorted the paragraphs by clicking on the Full HTML button which appears when you click on the 'Input Format' breadcrumb at the bottom left of the reply box.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Cheers Parksy, but time is the problem just now. We're off again in a few days for a week at a Royale rally, in Retford, then two days home, then fly to Sweden for two weeks, so that's August gone, two weeks rallying in September, then we're out again for almost the whole of October, at the Club's AGM, and ACCEO AGM and rally..
Nobody told me that retirement is a full-time job!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Hi Emmerson. Nice to hear from you and that your trip went more or less according to plan (except for the RAC recovery in Scotland). Great to have had the chance to meet up with you and your wife.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lutz, yes as you say, more or less according to plan! But our plans are always very flexible, so it did go astray sometimes.
The second recovery was due to a faulty radiator which had been fitted just 48 houirs before!
However, all's well now, and ready for the off again Tuesday week!
It was good to put a face to the name, and once again, thanks for your help.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
We had a super time at the Royale rally in Retford, but we just can't seem to keep still this year, so we're off again! But this time on an aeroplane to stay with friends in Sweden for ten days.The caravan won't be idle though. My daughter and son-in-law have borrowed it, and I'm more bothered about that than I am about flying!
Btw, the friends in Sweden are people we've met at previous European Classic Caravan Rallies, so it will be like an extended rally, without the van!
See you in September.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts