Europe caravan only breakdown

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi All,

I have Volvo Assistance that covers car breakdown in Europe but caravan. Is there any caravan only breakdown policy for Europe?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi All,

I have Volvo Assistance that covers car breakdown in Europe but caravan. Is there any caravan only breakdown policy for Europe?
Never heard of one. We had Green Flag Mayday policy in addition to our Volvo Assistance and sued them when we had an issue with the towing socket. I think Volvo Assistance are actually RAC?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Ask Volvo Assistance - you may find they already include it or can add it for a fee. Note that caravans are covered by the car insurance when towing but in themselves when being towed are only covered for third party and will not be covered for breakdown of the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The situation in some countries are very likely to be different to the UK. for example in many countries, caravans have to be separately registered for use on the roads.

There may be continental based company that might offer caravan recovery, but whether as a UK citizen you can take out such a foreign policy I have no idea.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Best is use Red Pennant through the CAMC. Cover for breakdowns and repatriation if necessary and also insures your holiday in the event you need to cancel.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have always just taken the additional policy for the car and caravan as we could not find anyone who would just cover the caravan. It is possible the car makers cover can be extended and worth a check.

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
I rang Volvo Assistance, and they confirmed:
* if my car breaks, they tow the caravan to wherever the car goes
* if my caravan breaks, they can do minor fixes (e.g. replace a tyre) , otherwise they will tow it to a nearest workshop
All of the above works if the car is towing the caravan in the moment of the accident.

Seems fair to me, is there something that ideally I need from a caravan recovery policy that is missing ?

Also, they mentioned their recovery does not work (for both car + caravan) on French motorways as they are privately owned. Is it the same for other breakdown/accident insurances? I would rather stick to French motorways...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
* if my caravan breaks, they can do minor fixes (e.g. replace a tyre) , otherwise they will tow it to a nearest workshop
All of the above works if the car is towing the caravan in the moment of the accident.

Seems fair to me, is there something that ideally I need from a caravan recovery policy that is missing ?

Also, they mentioned their recovery does not work (for both car + caravan) on French motorways as they are privately owned. Is it the same for other breakdown/accident insurances? I would rather stick to French motorways...
There are appointed recovery/breakdown agencies for French autoroute incidents. They will get you off the autoroute. A lot of French autoroutes don’t have the width of hard shoulder as in UK,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
saw it, doesn't mention caravans/trailers
I think your caravan will be charged as a second recovery. It certainly will not be left on the autoroute. Reading CC threads some members have had to pay it themselves and claim from Red Pennant whereas others have had Red Pennant pay the recovery company directly. Any work carried out to fix the issue was again paid or refunded by Red Pennant. A lot seems to depend on the agency managing the recovery.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site

The important thing that CC Mayday and Red Pennant give is that if you're out in the car while on holiday and have a breakdown, they'll recover you and your car back to the caravan site and then both car and caravan to home, on different days if appropriate.

All the other breakdown services will only cover the caravan while it's attached to the car, ie not once you've got to site.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here straight from the “horse mouth” it gives rates and classifications including caravans and trailers

Autoroute recovery

PS Edit...just press to open and accept the French acceptance then you can see it in English language apart from one of the links relating to the tolls on autoroutes.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site

If the caravan needs repatriating or the workshop cannot do any repair you need more cover to move it again. If the car breaks down it sounds as though they leave the caravan at a garage which might be a problem if you are stuck there for days waiting for a part for the car. I am afraid I cannot see any real alternative to an additional policy even though it duplicates the Volvo cover.

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
If the caravan needs repatriating or the workshop cannot do any repair you need more cover to move it again. If the car breaks down it sounds as though they leave the caravan at a garage which might be a problem if you are stuck there for days waiting for a part for the car. I am afraid I cannot see any real alternative to an additional policy even though it duplicates the Volvo cover.
If the car breaks down they provide a similar courtesy car. I will check regarding the towing ability aspect

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the car breaks down they provide a similar courtesy car. I will check regarding the towing ability aspect
As we found out it would be difficult for them to supply a vehicle on the continent that has a tow bar fitted. Best is to pay for Red Pennant and peace of mind.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For continental touring we always used Red Pennant. Not only is it a one stop shop for car, caravan and people ( if required) it’s geared to the needs of caravan and Motorhome touring abroad. Even without a breakdown on car or van, if the driver is incapacitated and there’s no other driver the y will bring you home with an experienced driver.

I only had to use them once when a holiday had to be cancelled five days before departure. All I can say is that Red Pennants service was brilliant. They even refunded the policy cost as I agreed not to claim a refund on the first booked site fees which had just been paid.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
As we found out it would be difficult for them to supply a vehicle on the continent that has a two bar fitted. Best is to pay for Red Pennant and peace of mind.
Interesting, in the UK they told me their contract is with enterprisecar and if they can't find a car within couple of hours then enterprisecar books me taxi on their expense

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Interesting, in the UK they told me their contract is with enterprisecar and if they can't find a car within couple of hours then enterprisecar books me taxi on their expense
I have never seen a taxi with a tow bar fitted, but they probably do exist. :unsure:

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
As we found out it would be difficult for them to supply a vehicle on the continent that has a tow bar fitted. Best is to pay for Red Pennant and peace of mind.
Just checked their T&C's :
Volvo Assistance is not able to guarantee the supply of hire cars with either 4 wheel drive or fitted with tow bars.

Then I've got 2 more questions:
* Is there a good Europe breakdown cover that doesn't require a club membership?
* Would they not enforce the exclusivity right? I.e. I can use either Volvo Assistance or another cover but not both? Reason for asking that is it's better to use Volvo Assistance whenever possible

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You can have double cover and choose which to use - for decades my new cars have had breakdown recovery as part of the warranty but I've always maintained my CC Mayday cover for the caravan - on one occasion my Hyundai needed recovering to the dealer because of an immobiliser fault, the Hyundai cover was by the RAC but they quoted a 6 hour wait for a patrol and then further delay for a flatbed as a 4wd automatic can't be towed - so I called Mayday (Green Flag) who were there within the hour with a flatbed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts