EV Bus Fire

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I saw a few months ago that about half of these London hybrid buses are off the road because the battery at 5 years old has expired and it costs too much to replace them.

I wonder who forgot to tell 'em?
I had a quick search regarding this but the only articles I found hark back to 2015 when many hybrid busses were running mainly on diesel due to poor battery performance.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a quick search regarding this but the only articles I found hark back to 2015 when many hybrid busses were running mainly on diesel due to poor battery performance.
When I searched I did not find this article, so thank you.

However as Paulus points out it is dated 2015, and it also says the batteries that have been replaced have been done under warranty - not at TFL's expense.

You cannot draw the universal conclusion that hybrid busses do not work from this article, as it does not explain why the batteries have been failing. in fact it reads more as though the bus manufacturer may have incorrectly specified the type or size of battery needed, They may have not fully understood the operating conditions or TFL's busses which as a design fault rather than a battery fault.

Evidenced from other parts of the world hybrid and full BEV busses do work effectively in many other places.

Specifically regarding the pictures of the fire damaged bus, there does not seem to have been the inferno that most people expect to see from a Li-ion fire. The problem may have been nothing to do with the electrics.

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The bus involved was route 200 which I used to get to school in the 60s, diesel then!
This article is fascinating and shows how bus EV technology is very advanced. By all accounts the Lithium Iron phosphate batteries used are less likely to self ignite than the standard L-ion. Note the alleged rangeđź‘Ť.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Electric busses have been around since the 19th century so just making a come back. In those days the pollution was horse manure.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks that is an Interesting read. Last year I followed a BYD electric coach through Warwickshire on the Fosse. It’s take off, and speed up hills was very good. The number of Chinese makes plus Indian in your link must worry the western bus manufacturers. In 2022 77% or 542600) of Chinese urban buses were “new energy vehicles” ( PHEV, EV and fuel cell) and in 2022 84% the “new energy fleet” was pure electric.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts