EV Bus Fire

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This news is a shame and for one I don’t hound EVs for what has happened. ICE’s catch fire too, Luton😉
The concern for people like me who use an EV with multiple cell battery technology may need a total rethink. If the Insurers get twitchy the death knell may be tolled before time and more afore thought.
Fortunately no injuries but how much did the bus cost?
Scroll down and the E scooters costs are quoted, ouch🙀

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This news is a shame and for one I don’t hound EVs for what has happened. ICE’s catch fire too, Luton😉
The concern for people like me who use an EV with multiple cell battery technology may need a total rethink. If the Insurers get twitchy the death knell may be tolled before time and more afore thought.
There’s been a number of bus fires for TFL since New Year and arson is suspected. But this latest one appears to be different. I think the buses are made by Switch an Indian manufacturer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There’s been a number of bus fires for TFL since New Year and arson is suspected. But this latest one appears to be different. I think the buses are made by Switch an Indian manufacturer.
TFL insurers are getting twitchy was for me the important the point

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I read that in the last 12 months the used price of a Jaguar I pace (electric) cf a used Jaguar F Pace ICE has reversed and the F Pace has the stronger residual price. The journalist put this down to amongst other things the increased insurance costs for the electric car. This completely reversed the position 12 months ago.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I saw a few months ago that about half of these London hybrid buses are off the road because the battery at 5 years old has expired and it costs too much to replace them.

I wonder who forgot to tell 'em?

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I saw a few months ago that about half of these London hybrid buses are off the road because the battery at 5 years old has expired and it costs too much to replace them.

There are three variants of Metrodecker bus, ICE, hybrid and EV.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Having spent half an hour trying all sorts of different google searches I have been unable to find any report that fully concurs with your statement. Can you point to the source of the information please.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This may be of interest although it’s US news, but there are similarities with UK, where one of our local dealerships has been discounting pre owned full EVs. This EV6 was further reduced before it disappeared from the forecourt.

IMG_1130.jpeg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
They are but they still have to be "registered" as taxed. EV owners will tell us.
AFAIK they still have to be "taxed" at zero rate annually, just like the larger mobility scooters although in the mobility scooters case it's done automatically by DVLA, at least mine is!

Reactions: Hutch

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My Fiesta runabout is £0 road tax, but I still have to go through the motions of 'taxing' it online every year

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive’s article explains imo why Tesla in the USA now run their own car insurance scheme. Not sure if Tesla do the same in the U.K.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Clive’s article explains imo why Tesla in the USA now run their own car insurance scheme. Not sure if Tesla do the same in the U.K.
JLR were forced to introduce in-house insurance as many of their models were uninsurable with conventional insurers - but even the JLR in-house scheme is now turning down some models - all due to the high risk of theft in JLR's case.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about Tesla but LR/RR have recently introduced their own and some owners are upset that it will not cover them. It was initially set up because of car security concerns and thefts but then the cost of insurance particularly on hybrid and EV models was leading to a sales downturn.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not sure about Tesla but LR/RR have recently introduced their own and some owners are upset that it will not cover them. It was initially set up because of car security concerns and thefts but then the cost of insurance particularly on hybrid and EV models was leading to a sales downturn.
Is that the one underwritten by LV?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
AFAIK they still have to be "taxed" at zero rate annually, just like the larger mobility scooters although in the mobility scooters case it's done automatically by DVLA, at least mine is!
Yes, the same with classic cars, I still have to tax mine yearly but there is zero cost. However the MoT exemption for them is a one time exercise when they hit 40 years old.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
TFL insurers are getting twitchy was for me the important the point
Point of order... The buses aren't owned by TfL. They are provided to TfL spec by the individual franchisee companies. Also, like a number of public bodies TfL WAS (in my day) "self-insured"... i.e. no insurance but they were certified to be able to pay out in the event of accidents

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Point of order... The buses aren't owned by TfL. They are provided to TfL spec by the individual franchisee companies. Also, like a number of public bodies TfL WAS (in my day) "self-insured"... i.e. no insurance but they were certified to be able to pay out in the event of accidents
In the days of "corporation buses" I believe it was fairly common to self-insure as the fleet was big enough to spread the costs without an external insurer taking a cut, certainlt Wolverhampton Corporation buses were self-insured - I don't know how privatisation has affected that, perhaps only covering own damage themselves.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Given the size of the fleets I would expect them to have a very large excess and cover after that. Self insured fleets will normally work that way. They have to decide how large a claim they can stand and then insure for the balance. TFL would be different as a public operation, but even they probably at cover at some level.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A company i worked for was self insured. So save money they bought a fleet of Toyota Corollas without any warranty even though theses cars would do a very high mileage each year. Servicing was only done when the car showed signs for not being efficient. I think in 5 years if my Corolla was serviced 3 times it was a lot even though mileage was very high.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts