EV Towing

Page 9 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
As Roger has said the provision of facilities has always been driven by market forces, But I do agree it should at least be helped by government action , in particular it should be mandatory that any point that charges money for energy should accept Credit Debit cards, and have a service level guarantee in terms of how quickly any point will be repaired of it goes down.
We have a change of Government on the horizon soon. What will they tell us? Blair told my firm to go all diesel. I guess it depends how much money is in the coffers to encourage the high power state of the art Chargers. Time will tell.

Reactions: Buckman
May 7, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day it may come down to a governments desire to stay in power or go with the green lobby. While I think we need to cut waste and emissions in practice we produce only about 1% of the problem and it is the likes of China, USA, India and other far bigger countries that will decide how things go.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unlike some countries the UK has the technology and the capacity to reduce our emission's. we should be grasping every opportunity to reduce our impact. Even though our traffic may only represents 1% of the world's producers, it can set a precedence that others will follow.

It also reduces our dependence on imports from politically unstable and unsustainable sources.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Seems a very honest appraisal from someone in the know. I am sure EV will happen but as said the timing is probably too optimistic. I suggest the Jury is still out on the long term availability of Lithium and other rare metals, never mind the affordability to most vehicle users. The DoT spokesman gives the usual answer that is political junk.
Isn't is strange that long term availability of Lithium - an abundant element, that can be recycled from battery to battery - is called into question, yet the long term availability of oil - the product of millions of years of geological action, which is burned once, never to be used again - is not.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I guess the usual debate will start again😢
The one aspect that causes me concern is HMG pathetic investment in the charging infrastructure.
With 7 years to go to E day there must be at least an equal number of rapid charging points to petrol/diesel pumps, home charging facilities for all. Exciting times😉
Today, there are about 8300 petrol stations in the UK. Basically all cars have to use these. And it only takes "5 mins". And there are probably an average of 6 pumps per location?

There are about 4100 rapid charging locations in the UK (about 15500 connectors). But using these is the exception not the rule.

But that is a subset of the 23000 public charging locations (about 63000 connectors)
And that exclude the estimated 400,000 home or work charging locations.

Granted - home charging for all is an issue that needs to have a better solution.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That is true, but we have no choice, however we do have a choice whether to buy Chinese goods or not.
Technically you do have a choice, you could purchase an EV! And in reality it is very difficult to avoid purchasing products that don't have some part manufactured in China.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I understand it, but to continue buying petrol that is derived from Saudi Oil wells is somewhat hypocrytical.
The UK buys very little oil from Saudi Arabia, about 0.2% - in 2021 it was mainly from Norway, USA, Russia, Libya, Nigeria, Algeria - although things have changed since the Ukraine war

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
In my wildest dreams that is not even a remote choice! Why would I waste our money when I can buy a decent long lasting ICE vehicle for less? :D
I really thought we had moved on from stuffing this EV stuff down our throats. We are all grown up and responsible with the environment. But not everyone has a big wallet .A young lass of 27 took our training group yesterday. She is a single parent , living with mum and dad .She has four jobs working 6 days a week trying to save to get her independence. I have to say do you guys really believe in the real world she can afford an EV .She is probably like 90% of the motorists today.
So whilst I am all for being green will someone tell me just how it is affordable for all? VW got it right with the Beetle👏👏

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Once more a thread about electric vehicles has degenerated into the same old for / anti argument.
If you want one - buy one.
If you don't want one - don't buy one.
Then whichever one you decide to buy, shut up about it because we don't care.
This thread is now locked, as every similar one with the same people having the same old argument will be from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts