Excess Cable with 13 pin adaptor

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
We recently bought a new tow car. Volvo V70. When we had the tow bar and electrics fitted we were recommended to get the 13 pin single socket, which we did. Our caravan has twin electrics so we bought the adaptor. Very impressed with the connection to the car.

Our problem is what to do with the excess wiring when we are hooked up. Only used it once, today, to take the van to the dealers for its service. Used about 4 cable ties to keep it from trailing on the ground.

Wondered how other people manage.

Looking forward to your comments.

Linda

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Much the same as you Linda, but you could get a 13pin plug fitted in place of the 2 plugs from your van.

Although I have never needed to do it, I think it would be a relatively simple DIY job or get an electrician to do it for you.

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Now why didn't I think about having the van converted. Its in for service at the moment and we could have asked them to do it then.

Don't think I am up to doing it myself (computers and family history more my thing). Will struggle on with the cable ties for the time being then have the wiring changed.

Thank you for your replies.

Linda

May 18, 2007
Visit site
When I bought my S-max which had the 13pin already fitted I simply got under the caravan and repositioned the cable clips back towards the fuse box - thus it took away some of the excess length.

G

2 comments.

I have the same adaptor cable and I just wrap it round the jockey wheel enough to leave sufficient to attach to the car. I use a canvas securing band for the reast. Never had a problem.

The other comment is that you can buy short adaptor cables which are about 1 foot long. These will connect without much excess showing.

I have also thought about changing to a 13 pin plug but trying to fit 2 cables into the plug is something I will leave to others. Similarly rewiring back into the van is something for a hot sunny day....later. As for

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Yes, that was why I asked which van Linda had.

Linda....as you have a Swift Group van, you can contact Sargents and buy the ready made 13 core cable which plugs into your caravan fusebox instead of your present cable.

Secure in place, job done.

g1

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Give each of the cables from the van a twist or two. This will form a loop which will shorten the cable and keep it clear of the ground without restricting movement.

G

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts