Excessive Tyre Scrub,

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I have recently Bought a caravan and i have noticed that there is Excessive tyre Scrub in the inside of the Tyres with would indicate toe out on the caravan does anyone know how i can rectify this,

Although the caravan did ahve road tyres on when i collected it im getting 8ply commercial tyres fitted will this have caused the excessive wear as in the wrong type of tyres,

Any suggestions Welcome,

Cheers Chris

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Unless the caravan has hit a kerb badly, it is unusual for tyre wear to be very noticeable. Normally, the mileages covered before the need for replacement due to old age are too low for suspension misalignment to show up unless it is very extreme. Such misalignment would have to be so bad that it would have been obvious just by looking at the way the wheels were standing. I rather suspeczt that a couple of old car tyres were fitted to the caravan before it was sold.

When you buy new tyres, be sure that the load rating is adequate for the weight of the caravan. The load rating is the number that follows the size marking on the sidewall of the tyre.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chris.

From what you say about the tyre scrub, it sounds like both left and right tyres re affected.

This is probably due to the rubber suspension rolls in the suspension units being excessively worn. This is usually caused by excess weight being towed for many miles. The only fix is to replace the suspension units which is an expensive excersise.

If you bought it from a dealer you may be able to get it repaired under warrantee. If thye refuse then trading standards might be able to step in and force the dealer to repair this as it is a safety critical situation.

If you tow the van loaded at sustained speed on a motorway for a substancial period of time, you could well end up with sufficient heat build up in the tyre to cause a blow out.

If you bought it privately you could go to small claims court but this would be a very tricky case to prove and as they say, hind sight is a wonderfull tool.

Fitting new heavey duty tyres will not alter the mechanical condition of the suspension and all you will do is wear out another set of tyres prematurely.

I would suggest you take the van to a service center and ask for a wheel alignment check. This might open a whole can of worms and you could have the center advise you that the van is un-roadworthy. But at least with this evidence in writing you have colateable information to present your case for recompence for cost of a repair.

Good luck on this one.

I've a feeling your going to need all the luck you can get.

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's certainly worth having the suspension units checked, but it is unusual for both to be worn to such an extent that tyre scrub becomes noticeable within the normal life of the tyre of a caravan, bearing in mind that caravans cover a relatively low mileage. I therefore still think that someone fitted worn car tyres shortly before the caravan was sold.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is rare that I would disagree with Lutz, but on this occasion I do think the sensible approach is to get the alignment checked first. Other things that misalignment will affect will be the stability of the outfit, and you will use more fuel, and of course tyre wear.

So it looks as though you do need to get new tyres, but do you really need to go for commercial 8ply? - check with the handbook or the caravan dealer for the correct size and rating.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
It is rare that I would disagree with Lutz, but on this occasion I do think the sensible approach is to get the alignment checked first. Other things that misalignment will affect will be the stability of the outfit, and you will use more fuel, and of course tyre wear.

So it looks as though you do need to get new tyres, but do you really need to go for commercial 8ply? - check with the handbook or the caravan dealer for the correct size and rating.
Hi

I suspect the problem is wheel misalignment. A quick check would be to tow the van along the road and get someone to follow in another vehicle to see if the van is pulling in a straight line. Sometimes the misalignment causes the van to crab.

Sandy

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I suspect the problem is wheel misalignment. A quick check would be to tow the van along the road and get someone to follow in another vehicle to see if the van is pulling in a straight line. Sometimes the misalignment causes the van to crab.

Sandy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fully agree with Lutz's as it happens! from the information given he draws a simple plausible conclusion. Without further information, ie, and at the very least type and age of suspension, then the rest is conjecture.

To test for toe in/out use a straight edge with two attached stand offs of identical length to touch the wheel rim, it's a simple matter then to hold the straight edge up and see the line it takes in relation to the caravan sides.

Not deadly accurate but enough to suggest a problem or not

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts