External Directional TV Aerial for Reliable Reception.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
One CL we visit regularly is very "hit and miss" with regards to TV reception using the caravan aerial. This situation is further exacerbated when using the hard standings in winter which are set close to some very large apple trees. Sometimes we get lucky but often reception is poor. Summer sites out in the open are much better.

Noticed a van earlier this year with an external aerial mounted on a pole. It was directional and judging by the massive TV on view through a window gave an excellent signal.

Couple of questions then:

Would getting a directional aerial that could be, within limits, moved around for best reception be a sensible route to take? I can imagine being able to move the aerial around the van sides (fixed to a "suckered" mount) would help avoid obvious signal "blocks" - the apple trees.

Our van is a Swift and there's a TV socket next to the mains input. If an external aerial is plugged in here will the signal go through the booster in the van thus eliminating the need to route an aerial cable through a window and directly into the TV?

I think the aerial I saw being used earlier this year was a "Vision Plus 420". There are similar types available such as a "Maxview Touring TV Aerial Kit with Pole Mount" and a posh "Maxview High Quality" version a bit more expensive. (Both the "Maxviews" come with short mount which can be positioned anywhere around thre sides of the van although I would use my home made "sucker" mount which was originally put together for an "iBoost " WiFi thingy!

Bottom line is would using an "external directional aerial" which is to some extent repositionable, be a sensible way to go? That being the case is anyone able to make a recommendation please?

TRENDING THREADS