Extortionate Prices

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
A local council mini bus took the door mirror of of my Sorento KX2 yesterday.

The price from the main dealer for supplying & fitting a new one. a staggering £530.26.

Waiting for council transport manager to contact me.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Steve
The price you quote seems to be the going rate today.
The basic unpainted mirror and housing is about £ 200.
Factor in the car colour painting and fitting plus vat and of course the free courtesy car your quote looks ok.
Make sure the Council agree the costs before you go ahead.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nothing abnormal with the price quoted, it is not a cheap thing to replace, especially if you don't know who did it, you are lucky, the Council will pay for repairs.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Europcar have charged me €214 for replacing the broken cover, not the mirror, just the plastic cover,on a Peugeot 307
I shall speak them tomorrow to query it.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
Nothing abnormal with the price quoted, it is not a cheap thing to replace, especially if you don't know who did it, you are lucky, the Council will pay for repairs.[/quote

The council insist it goes through their insurance company, so could be in for a fight to get my excess back.
Sent a copy of my dash cam file to my insurance to back up my claim, heard nothing yet.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Steve
The price you quote seems to be the going rate today.
The basic unpainted mirror and housing is about £ 200.
Factor in the car colour painting and fitting plus vat and of course the free courtesy car your quote looks ok.
Make sure the Council agree the costs before you go ahead.

Agree or not, I am not prepared to drive around without a door mirror, it's dangerous enough joining motorways with mirrors, let alone without them.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When lorry took my drivers side wing mirror off it was deemed to be unsafe to drive without it and the Insurance company arranged a hire car until the repairs were completed.
If you have fully comp insurance you should, hopefully, have replacement hire car included.
As you have dash cam evidence then getting your excess back should present no problem.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Afraid when your insurance comes up for renewalo you have to declare the accident and you might get charged extra although if you do I would change insurers.
ASs a word of warning a friend of ours is an electrician. His van was hit by a council truck when parked. The council paid for the repair and he thougtht nothing more of it. His car insurers cancelled his car insurance mid term when they discovered it without making any checks whatosever with him as to the circumstances, simply saying he had not declared the accident at renewal. Won't name the company but I would not insure the door knobs with them and they were the cheapest.
When you make a claim against another insurer the details are logged on a computer system which your own insurer has access to and can trace it if they check. The purpose of the system is to reduce fraud but it can cause other problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts